Bergdahl Charged With Desertion

I don't believe that at all. The way things would have been set up, his unit would have a forward operating base (FOB) where their command and other important logistical elements would reside. The FOB is generally well out of danger.

Each company and platoon would operate out of an observation post (OP) that is usually right in the thick of things. These OP's are generally houses or small compounds that the military takes over for strategic purposes.

Big Bowe's platoon was at an OP when he deserted. He had only been in Afghanistan less than 2 months. The platoons will routinely rotate back from the OP to the FOB every now and then to prevent burn out.

If Bowe were so concerned about misdeeds, the only people he could report to were (besides his own platoon commander) was the leadership at the FOB, which he would have seen once they rotated back there.

Plus, he didn't head towards the FOB or any command element for that matter, instead he headed into town like a fucking dummy.

I don't know what his plans were, but they sure as hell weren't to tattle on his platoon. That sounds like a story he cooked up in order to save face.

My thoughts also. Plus, if he was just concerned about reaching the next military unit, why would he leave his weapon and gear behind?

My thoughts also. Plus, if he was just concerned about reaching the next military unit, why would he leave his weapon and gear behind?

Yeah that's a good point. It shows that he had no intention of coming back. I think the lawyers are going to tear his case apart.

"Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl left his unit in eastern Afghanistan in July 2009 intending to walk to the nearest U.S. military outpost to report wrongdoing, believing he could not trust his own commanders to deal with his concerns, an Army report says, according to sources familiar with the investigation."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/27/politics/bergdahl-intended-to-walk-to-nearest-base/index.html

Not knowing the specifics, I assume that military desertion charges are tried before a military tribunal, so that super-asinine arguments like this will fall on deaf ears.

Unlike a jury trial in a normal criminal case.

Oh man, apparently there was a reporter embeded with their platoon that spent a month with him in Afghanistan. The footage is of them sitting around twiddling their thumbs and interacting with the locals. nothing crazy or out of the ordinary.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/mar/26/bowe-bergdahl-afghanistan-base-exclusive-video

What's infuriating about his claims of "misdeeds" is that they weren't even seeing any combat. If you ask most people of what their first two months were like in Afghanistan, they will likely tell you that it involved sniper fire in the morning, RPG's, IED's, and continuous ambushes throughout the day. These guys were basically babysitting a valley, hanging out playing with their balls, which backs the claims made by Bergdahl's former platoon members that say he was simply bored.

Back