Bergdahl Charged With Desertion

Not generally. There are two categories of deserters. The ones who run away from the battle front, and (much rarer) the ones who run over the line to take refuge on the other side. The latter category, Bergdahl's category, are generally left to rot, unless there's a prisoner exchange when the war ends. We'll find out more in connection with the proceedings, but all indications are that this guy was hanging out with the allied Afghans rather than other troops and attempted to go native.

And how is he more valuable relative to the Taliban commanders? He's a traitorous liability, a cost center. This prosecution will cost 1000x more than his life is worth.

There was no way to label him as a deserter with 100% confidence than with a trial, and if he had been paraded and quartered by ISIS it would had been a huge hit to the US image.

Plus, its not like the Taliban commanders could had remained in detention forever.

Don't be trying to come all up in here with yer book learin', Nicky.

My bad lol, hey man I'm thinking of creating a new Sherdog Street Gang! We will call ourselves "the SSG!" We will be the outlaws of Sherdog! But only peeps on dubs are allowed to be brought in (you can remain a member after the dubs are gone of course, though in my case, I never have to worry about that)! So our avatar will always show the dubs in some form no matter if we are on them or not. Are you in bro? I'm Pres but I need a strong VP to step in, I think Glennrod would be a good SaA too, that dude be for real, even if he's cray, and frankly, mostly because he's cray!

100% confidence isn't the standard required to negotiate a deal with terrorists. Every presumption is against such a deal. If you are going to make an (illegal btw) deal to buy a terrorist captive's life in exchange for money/prisoners, you better make sure all the factors click in your favor before you do it.

We have let Americans die who were worth thousands of Bergdahls put together. You have seen this recently, and horribly, with ISIS. Why does this piece of trash get to be the precious snowflake exception? Of all the other captives and prisoners you might have negotiated for release in exchange for prisoners/$$$$, Bergdahl leaps out as the one candidate you should go for?

My bad lol, hey man I'm thinking of creating a new Sherdog Street Gang! We will call ourselves "the SSG!" We will be the outlaws of Sherdog! But only peeps on dubs are allowed to be brought in (you can remain a member after the dubs are gone of course, though in my case, I never have to worry about that)! So our avatar will always show the dubs in some form no matter if we are on them or not. Are you in bro? I'm Pres but I need a strong VP to step in, I think Glennrod would be a good SaA too, that dude be for real, even if he's cray, and frankly, mostly because he's cray!

LOL, I like it

Not generally. There are two categories of deserters. The ones who run away from the battle front, and (much rarer) the ones who run over the line to take refuge on the other side. The latter category, Bergdahl's category, are generally left to rot, unless there's a prisoner exchange when the war ends. We'll find out more in connection with the proceedings, but all indications are that this guy was hanging out with the allied Afghans rather than other troops and attempted to go native. We aren't any more obligated to rescue him than any other deserters who cross over to join N. Korea, Soviet Russia, N. Vietnam, etc. They were left to rot with their choice.

And how is he more valuable relative to the Taliban commanders? He's a traitorous liability, a cost center. This prosecution will cost 1000x more than his life is worth.

That may be the case but the money aspect of this is irrelevant in the scope of other stuff that should be worried about if you're trying to be fiscally responsible, the amount of money here is silly to worry about. Also, don't you think things are being learned from his time there? Don't you think there was a possibility of continued dissemination of his knowledge to the wrong people if left over there?

Neither of us know what Bergdahl really did or what happened over there, as you've admitted. "It seems" regarding your stance on his guilt or lack of value is a pretty big problem for me. You are probably right about his guilt, but the rest is up in the air IMO.

An American's life is easily worth five Islamo diarrhea people. I don't care if he was a sympathetic, deserting moron. He is ours to put to the sword, not theirs.

100% confidence isn't the standard required to negotiate a deal with terrorists. Every presumption is against such a deal. If you are going to make an (illegal btw) deal to buy a terrorist captive's life in exchange for money/prisoners, you better make sure all the factors click in your favor before you do it.

We have let Americans die who were worth thousands of Bergdahls put together. You have seen this recently, and horribly, with ISIS. Why does this piece of trash get to be the precious snowflake exception? Of all the other captives and prisoners you might have negotiated for release in exchange for prisoners/$$$$, Bergdahl leaps out as the one candidate you should go for?

that's really not for you to decide as you're not privy to anything near what an insider would consider the "facts". It will all come out (or maybe it won't honestly) but you've already condemned an american to death basically based on what you know off essentially CNN reports. Unless you have some other source of info than the rest of us.

LOL, I like it

Nice! You are officially VP of the SSG!

*Hands over vest with VP patch!!!!!! Dumps beer on head and gives a big hug!!!!!*

Once our dubs are off we will declare this shit formally in our sig and have our avatars done! And anyone with a dubs avatar, we will target to get them to change it or pay a tax! Sherdog being put on notice, we claiming shit! Lmao.

*Let us have some fun mods, we aint hurting no one......... yet!"

SSG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An American's life is easily worth five Islamo diarrhea people. I don't care if he was a sympathetic, deserting moron. He is ours to put to the sword, not theirs.

A bit agro, but I am completely with you, we don't leave ours behind, and if they are f ups, WE deal with them, not the Taliban or ISIS.

Nice! You are officially VP of the SSG!

*Hands over vest with VP patch!!!!!! Dumps beer on head and gives a big hug!!!!!*

Once our dubs are off we will declare this shit formally in our sig and have our avatars done! And anyone with a dubs avatar, we will target to get them to change it or pay a tax! Sherdog being put on notice, we claiming shit! Lmao.

*Let us have some fun mods, we aint hurting no one......... yet!"

SSG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sleeping With The Enemy 2: It's Sher-ghey

The US had to negotiate with the Taliban, Bergdahl or not. They are a political force that wont simply go away. It was not a prisoner exchange negotiation, the prison exchange happened over larger negotiations that were happening between the US and the Taliban

If ISIS manages, like the Taliban, to survive 20 years as a political force as a direct adversary of the US, im pretty sure the US will eventually negotiate with them.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...8c7f38-d81e-11e2-a016-92547bf094cc_story.html

Better than being sold to ISIS. And he should be charged. I don't know how charging him reflects poorly on Obama.

Are you being serious? Did you not know that Obama let free some really, really awful human beings, back out into society, for bird dog's freedom?

If he is charged properly, and locked away for ever, or put to death, then why the fuck did we let all those high ranking terrorists go? If bird dog was there on his own volition?

Pretty bad screw up. Not to mention, didn't he have no authority to do such a thing? And isn't such a thing against the law?

No, you're right actually, Obama looks like a shit bag no matter how this bird dog thing turns out.

This ^ now we just need to lock his ass up for 25 to life at least.

And let's not forget that Obama did this without properly notifying Congress - something required by a law that HE signed in 2013.

This ^ now we just need to lock his ass up for 25 to life at least.
I doubt he'll serve time, but he damn well better be reduced to e1 and dishonorably discharged.

This looks bad.

101930344-453785074.530x298.jpg

national-security-adviser-susan-rice-falls-for-an-embarrassing-death-hoax.jpg

Israel trades hundreds of prisoners to get their people back. I just kind of think regardless if the guy is an idiot, he's an American soldier and you get him back if you can.

Weird I'm agreeing with you. As others have said, he should face US justice for deserting and putting other U.S. soldiers in harms way while looking for his dumb ass.

No one should be held captive by a terrorist organization.

people still defending this? wow

we didn't need the pos back, we needed the 6 real soldiers that died looking for him

everyone knew the statements he made about the US. what he said before he left, the emails he sent his parents ect. they had intel on him when he joined al qaeda, this was a shock to no one but it was a deliberate act by the administration.

Back