Ben Carson spends $31K w/ tax payer money for dining table in his private office....

ShoelessRye

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

Department of Housing and Urban Development officials spent $31,000 on a new dining room set for Secretary Ben Carson’s office in late 2017 — just as the White House circulated its plans to slash HUD’s programs for the homeless, elderly and poor, according to federal procurement records.

The purchase of the custom hardwood table, chairs and hutch came a month after a top agency staff member filed a whistle-blower complaint charging Mr. Carson’s wife, Candy Carson, with pressuring department officials to find money for the expensive redecoration of his offices, even if it meant circumventing the law.

Mr. Carson is also facing questions on another front. Under pressure earlier this month, he requested that HUD’s inspector general investigate his son’s involvement in a department-sponsored listening tour of Baltimore last summer. Department lawyers had warned Mr. Carson that including Ben Carson Jr., an entrepreneur who does business with the federal government, could create a conflict of interest.

Mr. Carson “didn’t know the table had been purchased,” but does not believe the cost was too steep and does not intend to return it, said Raffi Williams, a HUD spokesman.

“In general, the secretary does want to be as fiscally prudent as possible with the taxpayers’ money,” he added.
Department officials did not request approval from the House or Senate Appropriations Committees for the expenditure of $31,561, even though federal law requires congressional approval “to furnish or redecorate the office of a department head” if the cost exceeds $5,000.

Mr. Williams said department officials did not request congressional approval because the dining set served a “building-wide need.” The table is inside the secretary’s 10th-floor office suite.
About a month before it was ordered, Helen G. Foster, a former top HUD official, filed a complaint with the Office of Special Counsel, a federal whistle-blower agency, claiming that she had been demoted and transferred after resisting Mrs. Carson’s attempts to get around the $5,000 redecoration law.

The pressure began in January 2017, before Mr. Carson was even confirmed, when HUD’s interim secretary, Craig Clemmensen, told Mrs. Foster to help secure redecorating funds for Mrs. Carson, a frequent visitor to the department’s Washington headquarters who serves as an informal adviser to her husband, the complaint said.

Mr. Clemmensen, acting on Mrs. Carson’s behalf, told Mrs. Foster to “find money” to purchase better furniture for the office — and he quipped that “$5,000 will not even buy a decent chair,” according to the complaint, which was reported by The Guardian newspaper.

Drain.
That.
Swamp.

Him saying he stabbed a guy but the belt buckle stopped it seems more reasonable than spending $31k on a dining room set.

Only the very best.

Well... can We get a picture of the table atleast? I wanna know where my money is going.

and he quipped that “$5,000 will not even buy a decent chair,” according to the complaint

..so this is what a drained swamp looks like?

God, I fucking hate Carson for the same reason that I hate Mike Pence.

I can't fucking stand self-righteous, sanctimonious "Christian" d-bags.

Both of those guys reek of insincerity.

Last edited:
I read their platform and saw the direction they wanted to go in.

So?

How do you know what they would have actually been able to get done?

How do you know they weren't lying? You have no way to prove something that didn't happen.

I can prove right now you made a bad decision backing a man who would appoint Ben Carson to a major office.

His ancestors were slaves. He deserves only the best. It's the least we can do.

Well... can We get a picture of the table atleast? I wanna know where my money is going.
0013896.jpeg

So?

How do you know what they would have actually been able to get done?

How do you know they weren't lying? You have no way to prove something that didn't happen.

I can prove right now you made a bad decision backing a man who would appoint Ben Carson to a major office.

You can pretend all you want they would not do what they said they would but that's what they ran on and they have a history of doing just what they ran on.

Last edited:
No you can't because I know what's not was going.

You can pretend all you want they would not do what they said they would but that's what they ran on and they have a history of doing just what they ran on.

Trump hasn't even been able to do what he said he was going to do and he has the support of both houses of Congress and the Republicans indefinitely control the Supreme Court.

How was Hillary going to accomplish anything with a Congress and Supreme Court completely out of Democrat hands?

Back