Ben Askren vs Zebazstian Kadestam Confirmed for ONE: Shanghai

fighting elite competition as usual

He does in January, but it looks like they (ONE) are trying to keep him. Many thought they might have buyers remorse beings he cost a lot; the fans over there aren't as big into trash talk, and they don't seem interested in breaking into the U.S. market.

They didn't keep him very active but they seem like they might get him 3 fights within 10 months and are giving a company he is partners with rights to sell streaming of his ppvs through their website.

Steps they probably wouldn't make if they weren't going to make a decent offer to keep him. I think the recent Bellator flirting is just to keep them honest by reminding them he can go elsewhere with his new contract coming up in January.

Yea they really seem to be working on getting Ben more frequent fight. They need to do a lot more in the meantime to build up contenders. And they gave him that bad ass car after his last win. Damn man. I am not a car guy but that thing looked like it cost 250 g's lol it was a sweet ride. They are paying him well and showering him with gifts. They want to keep him bad

I know this is a throw away fight, but I hope Kadeztam wins.

How many fighters besides The GOAT could eat that knee at 2:55 and not even flinch. That giant chin is unreal

Other than this thread, I have not read anything about this card.

Why?

I'd actually rather see Askren fight Aung La after this (if he wins) more than any of the matches in a return to Bellator. It's a very real possibility and that fight interests me way more than Bellator rematches or a fight with Rory. The fights with Daley and Page might be more interesting, but that's only because of the build-up to the fight. The actual fights with Daley or Page don't offer anything that Kadestam doesn't.
And if Askren wins handily, he could very feasibly make a quick turnaround and fight Aung La on the November Myanmar card.

I wonder if ONE FC even tries to find quality fights for Ben. Do you think they even try to call around to someone to offer a one off fight(even if its non-title) or even offer a contract to anyone with name value to fight Ben as they come up????

Name value means nothing in Asia unless it's an Asian name. Even Kadestam lives in the Philippines and has spent almost his entire career in Asia; they probably wouldn't have signed him if he didn't- and hadn't.
So no, they don't try to go after name-value.

Yep. Its not top level obviously but his next opponent is at least talented unlike that poor kid he beat up last fight ha.

That's not fair. Agilan's only been fighting for a few years, and he doesn't have an entire life of hardcore martial arts and physical fitness training to back it up like a lot of other people. And I think the physical strength he showed in his last night was a testament to his laden talent; that Egyptian guy was, if nothing else, very strong, and Agilan outpowered him.

Kadestam's weakness has always been his wrestling soooo....

To be fair, Askren's weakness has always been his striking.

I hope Kadeztam wins this fight.

I agree. Kadestam's really grown on me. I fell in deep like with him when I was watching his fights prior to the Sapo fight, and I fell in love with him after the Sapo fight.

Other than this thread, I have not read anything about this card.

Why?

Not a lot of people on here care about ONE. The organization's based in Southeast-Asia (which already puts them at a disadvantage as far as western recognition goes) and filled with Southeast-Asian fighters from countries a lot of people don't even know exist (very few people could point out Myanmar on a globe if they had to, or even Thailand), and even a lot of their other Asian fighters are very obscure and not known by a lot of people. The co-main event features Narantungalag Jadambaa-- probably best known outside of ONE for his two-fight stint in Sengoku-- and Tetsuya Yamada, the former ZST lightweight champion, and anyone who knows anything about ZST knows that's all they need to know regarding obscurity. Arguably the best fighter in the entire organization is their strawweight champion Nobita Naito, and even in the ranks of Shooto he wasn't that popular. Sagetdao Petpayathai was a 4 or 5-time Rajadamnern and Lumpinee stadium Muay Thai champion and he's extremely focused on transitioning to MMA, but not many people on here could tell his name apart from a lot of the other people fighting on this card.
Nobody's even mentioned the fact that Kadestam's a PXC welterweight champion. That's a very good testament to his quality since PXC's a very good organization and a lot of their champs have done good things.
ONE's situation just really lends itself to not having a lot of people on here (and in the big MMA-sphere media) care about 'em. It's not like we're really their target demographic, though, since almost everyone on here's on the opposite side of the world, so it doesn't matter too much.

That's not fair. Agilan's only been fighting for a few years, and he doesn't have an entire life of hardcore martial arts and physical fitness training to back it up like a lot of other people. And I think the physical strength he showed in his last night was a testament to his laden talent; that Egyptian guy was, if nothing else, very strong, and Agilan outpowered him.

Not trying to say he can't become something more just that as you said he was too inexperienced in the sport for that kind of challenge. I would take Kadestam over Agilan 10 out of 10 times.

Do you think Lima beats Rory?

Nope. Although I'd need to watch and see how Rory responds to leg kicks (assuming he can't catch one and take Lima down - which I think he can). If he can tee off on Rory's leg for the first two rounds without getting taken down I'd pick him to win the 5 round war but I expect Rory to take him down and win.

Nope. Although I'd need to watch and see how Rory responds to leg kicks (assuming he can't catch one and take Lima down - which I think he can). If he can tee off on Rory's leg for the first two rounds without getting taken down I'd pick him to win the 5 round war but I expect Rory to take him down and win.

I think Rory will control him. Lima is a really good fighter but Rory is great. Rory I think takes him down and beats him on, finishing him in the second or third.

I think Rory will control him. Lima is a really good fighter but Rory is great. Rory I think takes him down and beats him on, finishing him in the second or third.

Yep if it was a standup fight I'd take Lima but I'm pretty confident Rory can dictate where the fight ends up and will take it to the ground; same thing for when he fights Koreshkov.

Yep if it was a standup fight I'd take Lima but I'm pretty confident Rory can dictate where the fight ends up and will take it to the ground; same thing for when he fights Koreshkov.

I'd still take Rory in a stand up fight, I think he's very underrated on his feet.

Back