Ben Askren vs. Shinya Aoki

I like Askren a lot, but Aoki is one of my all-time favs so I will be rooting for him. I also find it kinda funny that people just assume that Askren will "GNP Aoki into burger meat". With what power exactly??? Askren is feather fisted and unlike the complete grappling averse fighters that Askren has fought for well, his whole career, Aoki knows his way around the mat.

Also, Aoki has fought and was a top ranked WW in the past (Beating Akira Kikuchi after Kikuchi beat Jake Shields in Shooto). It just goes to show how the majority of people in this thread shoot their mouths off but know fuck all about what they're talking about.

Are you from America? American residents havent been able to buy the iPPV for 9.95 during Askrens last 2 fights and are instead required to sign up for www.flocombat.com for the month to watch. Maybe it offers a free week long trial though not sure.

I'm already a member for their wrestling footage so it works out good for me as a fan.
Australia bro

The first and only time I will ever be rooting for Aoki. lol

You said that exact thing-- almost word-for-word-- in another thread.
Askren also walks around at like 178-180 and Aoki weighs like 170. It's not a "welterweight vs a featherweight" fight like you think (Aoki also started his career as a welterweight), and the reason Aoki moved back up to lightweight was cuz' he knows featherweight isn't his weight-class. Since when does fighting once in a division make you that division for the rest of your life?
And the fact that you know so little about grappling that you think Askren will easily be able to beat Aoki suggests that you really don't know what you're talking about. Aoki has one of the best rubber guards in this sport's history, and Askren's modus operandi for passing guard is pressing his head into his opponent's chest and neck while he stands his legs up and steps over-- which is the worst thing you can do against someone with a good rubber-guard. How exactly is he gonna easily outgrapple that?
Worth noting that these guys have spend time training together and rolling together on multiple occasions.
Obviously there's hours and hours of footage on Aoki to watch.

I'm going with Askren UD, but it's an interesting fight.

I like Askren a lot, but Aoki is one of my all-time favs so I will be rooting for him. I also find it kinda funny that people just assume that Askren will "GNP Aoki into burger meat". With what power exactly??? Askren is feather fisted and unlike the complete grappling averse fighters that Askren has fought for well, his whole career, Aoki knows his way around the mat.

Also, Aoki has fought and was a top ranked WW in the past (Beating Akira Kikuchi after Kikuchi beat Jake Shields in Shooto). It just goes to show how the majority of people in this thread shoot their mouths off but know fuck all about what they're talking about.

Well obviously that Kikuchi fight was so long ago that only the most hardcore of Aoki nerds remembers it, so I’m not placing too much stock in that at this point. In any case, Askren likely mops Aoki up and I’m not sure what from their recent careers has lead you to believe anything different.

Lol at the Aoki fans saying Askren will have a hard time with him.

Likely the same trolls from 2010 who had aoki at #1 and didnt believe me that Gilbert was gonna work him and for sure the same clowns that didnt believe it when I said Eddie was gonna dominate the rematch.

Seems Aoki is living rent free in you're head and so are we who know Aoki most certainly deserved #1 over that total FARCE Penn. Seriously, I never see you on here unless it is hating on Aoki. At the mere mention of him you can be sure samoajoe will take to the thread and spew nonsense.

Well obviously that Kikuchi fight was so long ago that only the most hardcore of Aoki nerds remembers it, so I’m not placing too much stock in that at this point. In any case, Askren likely mops Aoki up and I’m not sure what from their recent careers has lead you to believe anything different.

"Aoki nerd"??? Lol, see this is all people like you do when presented with facts- use an ad hominem. When people are acting as though Aoki has no chance based on size I'm going to bring up that they know shit.

Could be a bit too much of a step up for Askren. Hope it's a good fight nonetheless.

"Aoki nerd"??? Lol, see this is all people like you do when presented with facts- use an ad hominem. When people are acting as though Aoki has no chance based on size I'm going to bring up that they know shit.

Well I used a fact-based argument and an ad hominem, but w/e nerd.

Garbage fight. Aoki has fought at FW and could easily fight there again. He was also outgrappled by Gilbert Melendez, who's also now fighting at FW (and not doing well at all). 2 weight class size difference = no real test for Askren, once again. Give him Palhares if you want to see him fight a true WW that's actually a threat.

He wasn’t “outgrappled” by Gil. There was just about no grappling in that fight. Aoki might’ve had guard once but most of that fight was Aoki being told to stand up. There was no significant grappling exchanges. You can say his grappling was negated by his inability to take Gil down but to say outgrappled suggest that the fight spent a lot of time in the realm a Askren-Aoki fight might(on the mat) and Gil worked him. That’s not what happened.

Could be a bit too much of a step up for Askren. Hope it's a good fight nonetheless.

He's fighting a LW/FW who lost his most recent fight to a non-Top 15 LW (Eduard Folayang)...who lost his most recent fight to an virtually unknown LW (Martin Nguyen).

This is a meaningless mismatch. Deal with it.

how do u watch one? i wanna tune in

Back