Ben Askren predicts a Montreal fight with GSP in late 2019

Not gonna happen, the risk of Askren beating him into a living death is too great and Dana would cry.

It would be a fun fight to watch. So I asked GSP the other day about it. He told me the Askren stock is very low at the moment.

Askren wins a SD over Jay Heiron
gsptkosjayhieron.gif

GSP round 1 destruction.

MMAth doesn't always tell the tale but GSP is a better wrestler then Askren and Askren has absolutely nothing else.

Ben was only about 3 years into his career and Hieron was a veteran on a very good run at the time. Funny how that excuse only works for guys like Ngannou though.

he knows it would be super tough to make it through 3-4 fights in ufc .. He needs to get over the past and try to pursue his interest.. That takes a couple fights first ..

i like the dude but your not gonna play the poor me card and skip the line..

let's see you fuck with Yoel .. He seems way more relevant now than GSP

Oblivious. 1 top 15 win in your career does not equal fight GSP. Get a clue Mr Askren

id like to see ben askren fight khabib more so than gsp. undefeated vs undefeated.

Not disagreeing because of his ability to go from a jab to powerful double leg but hes not just going to outwrestle everyone. Hendricks gave him problems. Ben can too.

Well, its pretty much recognized by most people that Hendricks was juiced when he fought GSP. He was knocking people dead with his left hand and I don't think Askren has the striking to go along with the wrestling to give GSP problems. I think Georges lights him up all night.

ummm no its not....

It obviously is enough depending on how you invest it. Most people making that much at that age just decide to live so large that it becomes an issue later.

Regardless as documented, Askren has other avenues of steady income coming to him that I'd be surprised to hear are anything less than the low 6 figures.

Not happening and I dont think UFC cares about signing him at all.

And he doesnt seem like he wants to be there either.

The only way that happens is if Askren starts taking some risks and goes to the ufc and somehow make a massive name for himself and wins the ww belt.

In other words, ain't gonna happen.

Gsp is not going to just change his bum life comming straight from the bush leagues like that. Why the hell would he?
Askren vs. Colby, then Wonderboy, then GSP. Would love to see him vs. Wonderboy and GSP. Added Colby since I'm one of the few who likes wrestler vs. wrestler matchups.

GSP in his prime a few years ago beats ASkren easily. He had the wrestling to keep it standing, cardio to go 25 min and the jab to win the fight standing.

Today though after years off, injuries, his stomach stuff its a much tougher fight and one Askren probably wins.

It obviously is enough depending on how you invest it. Most people making that much at that age just decide to live so large that it becomes an issue later.

Regardless as documented, Askren has other avenues of steady income coming to him that I'd be surprised to hear are anything less than the low 6 figures.

if you have other means of income is a different story... just retiring with 2 million at 30 maybe possible dependig where you live...

Nowhere did I say anything bad about GSP but no, those guys are not better wrestlers than Ben.

And i agree, gsp beats him in a mma match, but the gent i quoted said that gsp is a better wrestler then Ben based on the Hieron fight. A fight Ben used his grappling to win and GSP smashed him out with strikes

Agreed. And if you listen to Askren's recent interview with Rogan on his podcast, they talked about the Hieron fight. Askren had joined Duke's a few months before the fight and focused entirely on striking. He said he didn't roll at all and as a result his wrestling suffered for it. He said its a skill you have to constantly practice and he didn't practice it at all leading up to that fight as he was trying to improve his striking. He said he never made that mistake again.

Askren haters like to throw the Hieron fight into the discussion to in some way discredit Askren. It was his only split decision win in 18 victories.

Saying GSP is a better wrestler because he finished Hieron while Askren took a split is a convenient way of ignoring the facts. GSP TKO'd Hieron 1:42 into the fight. And as an FYI that was only Hieron's 5th pro fight... (And GSP's 7th). By the time Askren fought Hieron , it was only Askren's 9th pro fight while Hieron's 27th.... Anyone that doesn't think 3x the pro fight experience doesn't make a difference is blind to reality.

This isn't the first time I've heard him say he doesn't need anymore money. I'm curious to know how much he made fighting over seas and elsewhere. Pretty cool if he is that well off.

Yea I heard they overpaid the fuck out of him. So he probably is well off.

I would def head out to watch this one live in Mtl. I doubt it happens though.

Yea I heard they overpaid the fuck out of him. So he probably is well off.

I don't think overpaid is the right word here. Askren was the star of their promotion. Have you seen any of the shows? They had huge crowds in attendance.

His pay was 50/50 for his initial agreement with escalating pay if he kept winning plus sponsorship endorsements. Apparently there was back room money as well.

Not to mention they gave him a Lamborghini for one of his wins on top of everything else.

It's not inconceivable that he was getting close to million a fight for his last 3-4 fights.

I'm not sure the UFC understands how big they could make this.

Ben - "I’ve been No. 1 for the past five years"

{<jordan}

Number one in the kiddie pool maybe.

Back