Ben Askren on Khabib's wrestling greatness

i actually just saw the johnson fight.... tony might die against khabib my goodness he is deadly

I think Tony beats Khabib actually. He will likely, withstand the onslaught, tire Khabib out, and finish him with gnp. I know he doesn't have the best ground and pound and his subs are his best attribute but I don't think he will catch Khabib with one, even if tired. A tko after a heavy grappling excanhage may be the more likely scenario. So pumped for this fight. I want Khabib to win but I feel Tony is more dynamic.

i actually just saw the johnson fight.... tony might die against khabib my goodness he is deadly

LOL MJ is a turtle on his back. Tony off his back will look nothing like that. Not even close.

LOL MJ is a turtle on his back. Tony off his back will look nothing like that. Not even close.
maybe. i think khabib can do that to anyone but ive been wrong before. iwas picking tony to win until i saw the fight last night

maybe. i think khabib can do that to anyone but ive been wrong before. iwas picking tony to win until i saw the fight last night

No he really can't do it to anyone. In fact he's never done it to anyone with a solid guard game off their back. Can he control guys who are good off their backs? Absolutely. But in his time in the UFC not once has he done significant damage on the mat or gotten a sub against anyone with any type of guard game at all.

Again, this isn't to say Khabib can't win using his normal grappling-heavy gameplan. For sure he could. But it's not gonna look like the MJ fight. It just won't. MJ is a good striker, but in terms of grappling it's just worlds apart with him and Ferg.

No he really can't do it to anyone. In fact he's never done it to anyone with a solid guard game off their back. Can he control guys who are good off their backs? Absolutely. But in his time in the UFC not once has he done significant damage on the mat or gotten a sub against anyone with any type of guard game at all.

Again, this isn't to say Khabib can't win using his normal grappling-heavy gameplan. For sure he could. But it's not gonna look like the MJ fight. It just won't. MJ is a good striker, but in terms of grappling it's just worlds apart with him and Ferg.
ty for insight you make great points

lmao if Khabib did a wrestling match with Askren, Khabib would get embarrassed so badly. It would be a bad look for UFC. His standup is stiff and not great, but dudes wrestling is the best in MMA

Back