Belts aren't important

Robocok

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Demetrious Johnson was a white belt last year and Jon Jones just upgraded to blue last week. Seems like bjj belts have zero to do with actual fighting ability. Belts are a joke.

Bro, belts are the single most important thing in all human history.

Thank you for your deep and insightful opinion, pretty sure that all Bjj schools in the world will now stop using belts

Demetrious Johnson was a white belt last year and Jon Jones just upgraded to blue last week. Seems like bjj belts have zero to do with actual fighting ability. Belts are a joke.

<TheWire1><SelenaWow>

<{1-1}><Kpop775>

Breaking; people who aren't being graded under a certain system are not accurately graded by that system, more at eleven....

I'm got my black belt in tkd at age 7, so I'm pretty sure I could take jones in a street fight

BJJ belts are pretty good to show the skills of people doing BJJ with a gi with BJJ rules

IT doesn't show how good you are at a MMA fight where you can strike on the ground and in the clinch. IT's a lot tougher to do a standing guillotine to Machida without hurting him first, pushing him against a cage and then being able to threaten with knees and punches. But for sure Jones is better at BJJ than Machida because he submitted him.

Also Jones and MM aren't purple or brown belts because they never did Gi training consistenly. You can't give belts to people who never saw a huge part of the curriculum of Gi BJJ. Doesn't mean they can't kick asses and that they would destroy a lot of guys in a BJJ roll

Keep training; your blue belt is coming.
I prefer the no gi classes. Why learn collar chokes and moves where you have to pull sleeves when you might be in a fight with someone who isn't wearing special jacket and pants, rendering all your gi moves useless?

Like I said, I prefer the white belt. If it was good enough for Jones and MM until so recently then why would I want to be a higher belt than them? Those guys were kicking plenty of ass with their white belts.

You're saying that people who train in belts in BJJ which are only given in GI classes, are not accurate evaluations of their skill when it comes to an actual fight. Well... Yeah? That's not what they're training for. I don't think black belts in BJJ think that they're black belts in MMA (whatever that means). They think they're black belts in GI BJJ, which they are.

Basically, not everyone trains BJJ in order to improve their ability to fight, a lot of people just do it because they enjoy the sport aspect. I'm not one of those people, but I can understand that not everyone has the same outlook on martial arts as I do, I inspire you to do the same.

You're saying that people who train in belts in BJJ which are only given in GI classes, are not accurate evaluations of their skill when it comes to an actual fight. Well... Yeah? That's not what they're training for. I don't think black belts in BJJ think that they're black belts in MMA (whatever that means). They think they're black belts in GI BJJ, which they are.

Basically, not everyone trains BJJ in order to improve their ability to fight, a lot of people just do it because they enjoy the sport aspect. I'm not one of those people, but I can understand that not everyone has the same outlook on martial arts as I do, I inspire you to do the same.
So you're saying that training bjj with a gi is kind of irrelevant for fighting compared to no gi bjj or wrestling? We agree then.

So you're saying that training bjj with a gi is kind of irrelevant for fighting compared to no gi bjj or wrestling? We agree then.
Of course it is, I mean the basics obviously transfer like positioning and triangles and such. But of course if you want to train BJJ for MMA or actual combat no gi is the way to go. But what I'm saying is that GI BJJ black belts don't go around thinking that they're trained hardened fighters or anything, there's no reason to say that their black belt is largely irrelevant in an MMA environment, I'm pretty sure they never thought it was.

I guarantee that a gi bjj black belt could wreck you and your strip mall jiu jitsu. I'm not saying that a black belt csn beat a trained killer like jones or mm but a shitty white belt like you? Yeah it would be easy for them.

I guarantee that a gi bjj black belt could wreck you and your strip mall jiu jitsu. I'm not saying that a black belt csn beat a trained killer like jones or mm but a shitty white belt like you? Yeah it would be easy for them.
Lame argument. I never claimed to be at JJ or MM level. If you want to attack my white belt credentials though let's settle it with a sherdog throwdown. I'm in Orange County, CA and need 30 days to train because I just got over a flare up of my psoriatic arthritis. Even with my condition I bet I'll make you quit an mma match.

Back