Belt level relevance

Robocok

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is a long, rambling post with no point.

I've really been humbled the last couple nights. I took a month or 2 off and finally returned to class last night. I had some good moments but I was subbed or almost subbed a few times by different guys that weren't able to do that before I took a break.

I'm embarrassed but determined to really start training and quit being a bum. Everyone at class is either a white or blue belt. I've been training in this lazy on/off style for a few years now, but I used to have more success against lower belts.

For a time, I visited a few different gyms and at some of them I felt like I was holding my own at least for awhile against some purples and browns. Now all these white belt guys that I used to sub or control are whooping my ass. I feel pathetic, but I also question if these guys are really a white belt level compared to other gyms.

Are some gyms too quick to promote belts? I don't know how much of it is me being rusty and weak. I feel like such a bum. There are no belts higher than blue at the gym except for the bb instructor. Maybe he's just training these white belts so that they would sub higher level guys at other gyms or maybe I just lost my skills. I kind of like that. I'd rather be a fierce white belt than something higher and they say "he sucks for the belt level he has".

I don't even know what I'm talking about. I should just shut up and start going to class a lot.

Tldr: I got my ass whooped and need to cry on the web.

Belt levels in BJJ are like belt levels in basket ball at the YMCA open gym.

Turns out most people can kind of play.

61523957.jpg

Belts are more about knowledge and peak ability than current skill level. If you're a purple belt who takes a few years off you still know a lot about BJJ, you were probably pretty good when you got your belt, but it's not magic. You're going to have trouble with blue belts when you come back. Is normal.

belts mean nothing. the mundial winner in purple for instance will beat most black belts easy.

Are some gyms too quick to promote belts? I don't know how much of it is me being rusty and weak. I feel like such a bum. There are no belts higher than blue at the gym except for the bb instructor. Maybe he's just training these white belts so that they would sub higher level guys at other gyms or maybe I just lost my skills. I kind of like that. I'd rather be a fierce white belt than something higher and they say "he sucks for the belt level he has".

no one higher than blue? new(ish) gym or something?

he probably doesn't want people to get demotivated after a promo. you don't want to be promoted and immediately be the shittiest blue in the world, so I agree with what you said. Speaking as a relatively new blue belt, I'm happy it took awhile (2.5 years) because of the reasons you've stated.

also, you'll never really progress without consistent training, especially >6 months experience. Try and be consistent (4-5 times a week)

You will always have variability when it comes to ability.

Super athletic white belts with >1 year experience give me a harder time than some purples.

One super athlete purple I train with beats me into oblivion.

This is a long, rambling post with no point.

Tldr: I got my ass whooped and need to cry on the web.

The disparity of skills within a belt level within a club is huge.

If I suspect that a student will stress out of being tap out by lower belt, then he is not ready and I will not promote him.

We all get submitted. If you don't, then you are not training properly.

Thank you for the comments guys. I'm going to class tonight and will keep going consistently from now on.
*Rocky music starts playing

Keep training consistently. If your overweight lose weight. Do some S and C. You said it yourself, your spotty with your attendance. If your already not one of the top guys at your gym then all of the above is a must if you want keep getting better each day!

Belts = epeen. It doesn't do anything other than to show off and grow your ego. I rather be a white belt forever and whoop on black belts than be a black belt and get killed by a white belt.

Belts = epeen. It doesn't do anything other than to show off and grow your ego. I rather be a white belt forever and whoop on black belts than be a black belt and get killed by a white belt.
There are a few guys I know that have done years of no-gi and around at competitive blue to purple belt level. One thing I've always wondered was, if they decide to compete in gi, would the IBJJF allow them to step in with blues+ or force them stay white and subsequently force them to sandbag?

There are a few guys I know that have done years of no-gi and around at competitive blue to purple belt level. One thing I've always wondered was, if they decide to compete in gi, would the IBJJF allow them to step in with blues+ or force them stay white and subsequently force them to sandbag?
I think you have to compete at white unless your coach promotes you. They don't recognize no-gi. It's up to your coach

really? when I play pick-up bball, most people suck ass

You're probably not playing right. In pick up basketball, you need to move out to the wing, to allow the ball handler to try use his slashing skills to go 1 on 3 and take it to the hole.

Rinse and repeat.

You're probably trying to pass, set screens, and move without the ball. Big no no.

Last edited:
Belts arent equal, nor are two people even if they weigh the same and started the same day.

When we have guests at our school it really becomes apparent, Its rare for someone to come in and not get smashed by anyone decent even a belt lower than them.

You're probably not playing right. In pick up basketball, you need to move out to the wing, to allow the ball handler to try use his slashing skills to go 1 on 3 and take it to the hole.

Rinse and repeat.

You're probably trying to pass, set screens, and move without the ball. Big no no.

Lol, gold.

Sometimes medicine comes in a really bitter tasting pill. It sucks, but it's good for you and you have to take it. You got one of those doses

A bad day for your ego is a great day for your soul

Sometimes medicine comes in a really bitter tasting pill. It sucks, but it's good for you and you have to take it. You got one of those doses

A bad day for your ego is a great day for your soul
Thank you, I agree that humility is good. That said, I will be training on a regular basis until I tap every last one of them. I was happy I got my first stripe last night.

Back