bellydown armlock

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
how do you prefer your leg to be?

some prefer the leg over the face and some like the shin/foot tucked behind the head as its faster easier to get to that not always able to have the leg across the face when hitting it from bottom especially

just curious what others think of the position me personally i dont wana finish the armlock belly down i feel its too hard to catch someone above purple or so i wait for the roll to then throw my leg over the face and finish the armlock

I am a shitty blue belt with a black belt armbar. The answer is shin tucked behind head, and you should force their head away with your knee until your leg effortlessly slips in front of their face.

The first 5 seconds of this clip by Ronda Rousey shows exactly how it's supposed to look. I used to hear this get called the "swim move" all the time, which seems to have fallen out of favour. Not sure if 10th planet still uses the term.

Another example here at 2:50 by Kayla Harrison.

At 2:50 Kayla Harrison has the leg across face, then beautifully transitions to shin tucked behind head to force the roll, and then goes back to leg across face during the roll.

imo it's very rare that you see something like Nogueira versus Crocop, where Nogueira manages to catch the armbar at 2:00 completely belly down.

yeah i prefer the shin tucked behind the head using the shin to help push/break the posture of the neck from coming up i notice all top level guys do ti too usually beginners try to throw both legs over and its much harder u have much more mobility as well with the shin and can hit it a lot faster as well

tbh i never really tried to do belly down armlocks in the past only from closed and mount or side its something im starting to use more

also with the nog vid guys wernt near as good back then most even ufc guys were low level blue belt on the ground thats why people thought nog was like the bjj god of mma when in reality he wasnt. nog went to Ireland and rolled with a blue belt who smashed him who was a hw in just rolling and even frank mir isnt even all that amazing roy nelson beat mir in bjj and we all know what mir did to nog....

how do you prefer your leg to be?

To me its more a case of where am I attacking it from / what was the setup / scenario:
e.g in a Judo scenario, where you often attack the turtle, shin on the back of the head is the go to, to force the roll for the classic finish. If I were attacking from guard, was getting stacked and had to spin under, i'd keep the legs as they are and go for the finish from there.

There's another amazing one at 3:30. Alex Silva goes for a helicopter armbar, ends up taking the mount, then armbars the other arm. Just beautiful. Suzuki's only pro loss and he's currently 20-1.

also with the nog vid guys wernt near as good back then most even ufc guys were low level blue belt on the ground thats why people thought nog was like the bjj god of mma when in reality he wasnt. nog went to Ireland and rolled with a blue belt who smashed him who was a hw in just rolling and even frank mir isnt even all that amazing roy nelson beat mir in bjj and we all know what mir did to nog....
Some things you might try before talking shit on Nogueira include "fucking off" and "deleting your account" you worthless dipshit.

I like shin against the neck for belly down and if I'm getting stacked and have to reach the far leg to spin under.

yeah i prefer the shin tucked behind the head using the shin to help push/break the posture of the neck from coming up i notice all top level guys do ti too usually beginners try to throw both legs over and its much harder u have much more mobility as well with the shin and can hit it a lot faster as well

tbh i never really tried to do belly down armlocks in the past only from closed and mount or side its something im starting to use more

Roy Nelson is a legit Black belt in BJJ under Renzo Gracie, so I see no shame in losing to him. Saying theyre a low level blue haha, compare yourself to them and you would be a 2 week White belt.

Roy Nelson is a legit Black belt in BJJ under Renzo Gracie, so I see no shame in losing to him. Saying theyre a low level blue haha, compare yourself to them and you would be a 2 week White belt.

in size sure but tec i dont think so...

i never said nog was a low level blue but that a blue belt from ireland his size smashed him pretty bad during a training session from 2008 around nogs prime

in size sure but tec i dont think so...

i never said nog was a low level blue but that a blue belt from ireland his size smashed him pretty bad during a training session from 2008 around nogs prime
So youre judging his level of BJJ on one roll during a training session, instead of all his years in MMA?

all his years in mm
So youre judging his level of BJJ on one roll during a training session, instead of all his years in MMA?

no but you are obviously a beginner and have not been in this game awhile if u think that nog is one of the best bjj guys ever. its well know that the hw division is by far the least technical division in combat sports. nog also was dominating at a time back in early t mid 2000s when most hws wernt even blue belt level.

frank mir showed also frank mir whos a black belt not world class but is a legit black was rocked completely nog jumps on him to try to sub him and mir completely destroys his shoulder in 10 seconds but that was probably before your time

all his years in mm

no but you are obviously a beginner and have not been in this game awhile if u think that nog is one of the best bjj guys ever. its well know that the hw division is by far the least technical division in combat sports. nog also was dominating at a time back in early t mid 2000s when most hws wernt even blue belt level.

frank mir showed also frank mir whos a black belt not world class but is a legit black was rocked completely nog jumps on him to try to sub him and mir completely destroys his shoulder in 10 seconds but that was probably before your time
My level of skill is irrelevant, you should focus on the topic of discussion and the arguments instead.
To say he is blue belt level is moronic, technique in the 90's and early 2000's was not as refined as today, but they clearly had skill and BJJ was booming after the first UFC. To have defeated some of the top heavy weight legends in MMA in what could argaubly be the peak of the division is no small feat. And here you sit on sherdog and reduce his achievements and skills based on one video of a training roll, because he lost to legit Black belts in BJJ.

https://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/antonio-rodrigo-nogueira-minotauro

Here, read this and rethink your posts.

The correct position and this, the rest and talk!

AwzmM29LQ3KwQrk4xyoA

The correct position and this, the rest and talk!

AwzmM29LQ3KwQrk4xyoA
Dang look how young Xande was... and that M-Kimono is classic! I don't even think they make those anymore.

Back to the subject this armbar has worked for me on numerous occasions.
But recently I started doing the shin on neck armbars and belly down armbars which seem to work better.

My level of skill is irrelevant, you should focus on the topic of discussion and the arguments instead.
To say he is blue belt level is moronic, technique in the 90's and early 2000's was not as refined as today, but they clearly had skill and BJJ was booming after the first UFC. To have defeated some of the top heavy weight legends in MMA in what could argaubly be the peak of the division is no small feat. And here you sit on sherdog and reduce his achievements and skills based on one video of a training roll, because he lost to legit Black belts in BJJ.

https://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/antonio-rodrigo-nogueira-minotauro

Here, read this and rethink your posts.
This.

Do people really think the elite guys training in the top gyms in Brazil in the 1990s were unrefined blue belts because they weren't doing berimbolos? Jesus Christ.

This.

Do people really think the elite guys training in the top gyms in Brazil in the 1990s were unrefined blue belts because they weren't doing berimbolos? Jesus Christ.

see you dont get it i dont even do berinbolo iv done it 2 time sin my life to mess around lol

but guys ack then only did 3 guard passes basically and didnt have any open guard thats why marcelo went out and dominated so strongly guys had very strong fundamentals which i do wish guys had today if eel your blues/purples today usually dont have gery good fundamentals and base if they train no gi primarilry but when you dont have the hip movement and new guard passes it become shard to attack certain guys

i went to one of the biggest gyms in texas when i was 19 and a purple belt and it was a very fundamental gym very solid basics but nobody there but 2 of the blacks could pass my guard and didnt play any open guard back then basic knee cutting and single/double underhooks were the only passes that 90% of people used and when dealing with dela riva and rdlr becomes very hard to catch me control my hips they were very strong dominated tournament scene but they just didnt have the new technology of guard passing and playing much open that was at a time right before berinbolo came out

This.

Do people really think the elite guys training in the top gyms in Brazil in the 1990s were unrefined blue belts because they weren't doingberimbolos? Jesus Christ.
They had a ton more mat time but that doesn't mean they weren't doing a lot of thing in a crappy obsolete my today's standards ways. Like going for a belly down and not a hip facing armbar.

Hi all. FNG here with my first post.

This statement that Mir isn't a top level BB blows my mind. I've always heard the narrative that he was one of the best HWs. As for Nog, I've always heard mention of his BJJ prowess during his bouts but never really saw him using BJJ much in his bouts. I assumed he preferred stand up in MMA.

Anyhow, again I'm a newb to the forum as well as BJJ and judo. I recently started both after a 22 year layoff from all martial arts. Loving both BJJ and judo! Will do it as long as my 52 year old body holds out!

Back