Belly fat and set back question

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by greenocelot, Feb 19, 2017.

1. greenocelot Orange Belt

greenocelot
    May I please ask you a question? I've had a bad weekend, 3 days of 8000 calories. I am committed to losing what little belly fat I have by March 19. Should fast for 2-3 days to put body in ketosis and then have a deficit, say 2000 calories per day, or should just pretend like this weekend did not happen and do 2000 calories per day?

2. therealdope Gold Belt

therealdope
    Cut out most of the sugar and carbs is always the first move.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    ClubFoot, 4daLuLZ and 7even like this.
  3. Bekim Blue Belt

Bekim
    Good bit of self flagellation whilst wearing a hessian robe......should fix your guilt.......

4. denmarker White Belt

denmarker
    totally agree with you.
    just by cutting back on all form of sugared beverages, you will have a healthier and leaner diet.

5. therealdope Gold Belt

therealdope
    I still get out on the bike 3 times a week when the weather is good so for the last few years i have been 171-175lbs during the late spring/summer/fall. Unfortunately in the winter I had been going up to 185-187 because I dont' have the snow or time to XC ski (like I once did), and I have too many injuries from running.

A year ago I mostly cut out desserts, and eliminated carbs (potatoes,pasta, rice) 5 out of 7 dinners a week. This past winter i was 173-175 lbs. I still struggle with snacks because most snacks are either carbs or have sugar. I take two two scrambled eggs to work that eat at around 11:30am. That protein intake helps me avoid snacks until I eat my lunch at 2:30 or 3:00.

6. Codger Brown Belt

Codger
    Whether ketosis even really helps with fat loss is not clear. I personally wouldn't bother but if you can really fast for several days then clearly that's a lot of calories saved.

Either way I'd try to make up for the weekend to a certain extent. But you can't just undo 24,000 calories in 3 days.

7. Contempt black belt in couch-fu

Contempt
    How the hell do you even eat 8k calories, three days in a row? That is insane.

I am just starting a bulk and wondering how the hell I am going to eat 3k calories a day without feeling full all the time.

Just go to a sensible diet. If you are going to initially fast for two days, I'd supplement with BCAAs to give your body access to leucine so you aren't too catabolic and lose muscle mass as well as fat.

8. therealdope Gold Belt

therealdope
    8,000 calories is a lot but it's not super hard to knock out 2,000 in a trip to five guys or some shit like that.

9. 7even White Belt

7even
    Ketosis works amazing. I used to be chunky, but now I am fucking ripped!

10. KILL KILL Gold Belt

KILL KILL
    Studies have not shown the long term effects of a ketogenic diet to be superior to a high protein, calorie restricted diet.

Reasons why ketogenic diets work;
    - People tend to eat much less
    - Far fewer food choices (thus eating less)
    - Healthier food choices than before (more meats and veggies)
    - People tend to eat more protein than they would otherwise.
    - The initial loss of water weight gives inspiration, thus further adherence

When protein and calories are the same, the amount of carbs and fats you eat are of minor significance. It's also noted that anaerobic performance tends to drop while in a ketogenic state.

therealdope likes this.
  11. 7even White Belt

7even
    While I respect your opinion, and agree with most of it, I have to disagree with you stating that it doesn't work the way it suppose to work... I got amazing, outstanding results from the Keto diet, and I believe it works the way the video explains it to work.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  12. KILL KILL Gold Belt

KILL KILL
    I respect your opinion as well, but the studies disagree with you. There is not a single study (where protein and calories are equal) that has ever shown a significant benefit to low carb for weight loss. There have however been noticeable decreases in athletic performance in numerous trials.

Saint Of The K likes this.
  13. Renard Brown Belt

Renard
    The fat cell receptors in areas where the body wants to store fat (as determined by hormones/sex) are much more sensitive to insulin than other fat cells. It's not enough to have a calorie deficit, the insulin needs to be low enough or the cell won't release the fat and your body will take the fat from another area instead.

14. therealdope Gold Belt

therealdope
    Hmmm. This is a little confusing to me. Fat cells are like other cells whereby insulin causes the GLUT4 transporter to migrate to the cell membrane to facilitate glucose transport into the cell. Insulin resistance causes fat to be stores in hepatocytes and other cells to compensate for the lack of glycogen. That would be opposite to what you described -- or maybe I'm not understanding correctly.