Bellew vs Makabu

I agree, but when i think about it, how many fighters at 175 or over are elusive? Ward is the only name that pops into my mind. None of the top Cruisers or HW's seem to slip punches and move away to me....I agree that Bellew was fortunate to avoid some shots, but I don't see any pure boxers at CW or HW anymore.

David Haye springs to mind - a great mover at his natural cruiser weight.

Bellew has been calling him out since this win, but I can't see Haye coming down to fight him - the money is still in the HW division for him.

I agree, but when i think about it, how many fighters at 175 or over are elusive? Ward is the only name that pops into my mind. None of the top Cruisers or HW's seem to slip punches and move away to me. Now I could be making a generalization, but I think it's relatively true. That's not to say that guys like Kovalev have horrible defense, but they can all be hit. I don't see a huge difference between Dorticos and the other top fighters in the division, and I think he protects himself better than Glowacki for example. I think fighters at middleweight and above rely on pressure and blocking punches more than moving in and out of range. I agree that Bellew was fortunate to avoid some shots, but I don't see any pure boxers at CW or HW anymore. I wonder how someone like Chris Byrd would do at CW today?

He'd beat everyone pretty easily except maybe Usyk depending on how good he turns out to be as a pro.

David Haye springs to mind - a great mover at his natural cruiser weight.

Bellew has been calling him out since this win, but I can't see Haye coming down to fight him - the money is still in the HW division for him.

I don't think Haye could make CW anymore, but I could be wrong. If he was anything like the fighter he was before at cruiser, I think he would kill Bellew. That was always his best division, he could have made a really good career out of it. I do think that Haye is overrated by some at CW, but he'd be too much for Bellew unless he pulled Tony Thompson and tires himself out. I dont think that would bd the case though, he'd get Bellew out of there early.

The CW division is better than I thought it was though, it's pretty balanced.

I don't think Haye could make CW anymore, but I could be wrong. If he was anything like the fighter he was before at cruiser, I think he would kill Bellew. That was always his best division, he could have made a really good career out of it. I do think that Haye is overrated by some at CW, but he'd be too much for Bellew unless he pulled Tony Thompson and tires himself out. I dont think that would bd the case though, he'd get Bellew out of there early.

The CW division is better than I thought it was though, it's pretty balanced.

Haye always seemed a natual CW rather than HW - he could struggle to loose the (muscle) weight now but I'm sure he would if there were big $$$ on the table

Agree it would be one sided against Bellew though - I like Bellew, but he is pretty limited and when his onslaughts don't finish the guy off he doesnt have too many ideas.

Good luck to him though, I hope he gets a few more decent pay days.

Haye always seemed a natual CW rather than HW - he could struggle to loose the (muscle) weight now but I'm sure he would if there were big $$$ on the table

Agree it would be one sided against Bellew though - I like Bellew, but he is pretty limited and when his onslaughts don't finish the guy off he doesnt have too many ideas.

Good luck to him though, I hope he gets a few more decent pay days.

Haye would have to chop off a limb to make 14st now! He struggled in his late 20's to make weight so at 35 he has literally no hope, especially with the muscle he has gained. And even if he could he intends to fight at hw so would have to pile of some muscle again after. Bellew knows this so would have to step up and fight a catch weight at maybe 15st?

I've always quite liked bellew as well, he's an intelligent gobshite and fun to watch but as you say he's massively outgunned. He likes to bully fighters and that also won't work with Haye. Whether it's the Haye 5-6 years ago at CW or him as a HW he'd destroy bellew pretty quickly. With the money that will be involved, and with how loyal scousers are, it will be an enormous fight. I think it is very likely to happen if tony fancies cashing in, but if he wants to win more belts and further his careers it won't. He'd surely have to give the belt up to fight haye at a catch weight

David Haye would destroy Bellew at any weight

Bellew is looking to cash in, and fair play to him, he isnt going to get too far and is looking for a big fight to make him some serious cash

Bellew is like some loved up football hooligan who should have gone to grammar school - dangerous and yet eminently likeable and interesting.

I hope he gets his payday. If it's with Haye, I'm there. Or Fury!

I agree, but when i think about it, how many fighters at 175 or over are elusive? Ward is the only name that pops into my mind. None of the top Cruisers or HW's seem to slip punches and move away to me. Now I could be making a generalization, but I think it's relatively true. That's not to say that guys like Kovalev have horrible defense, but they can all be hit. I don't see a huge difference between Dorticos and the other top fighters in the division, and I think he protects himself better than Glowacki for example. I think fighters at middleweight and above rely on pressure and blocking punches more than moving in and out of range. I agree that Bellew was fortunate to avoid some shots, but I don't see any pure boxers at CW or HW anymore. I wonder how someone like Chris Byrd would do at CW today?

Mchunu has pretty good defence before he gasses

Back