Bellator's Fedor Emelianenko vs. Chael Sonnen tourney semifinal slated for Oct. 13 in New York

AGEZ909

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
By MMAjunkie Staff July 19, 2018 9:45 am Follow @MMAjunkie

The Bellator heavyweight grand-prix semifinal-round fight between Fedor Emelianenko and Chael Sonnen appears to have a date.

Emelianenko (37-5 MMA, 1-1 BMMA) and Sonnen (31-15-1 MMA, 1-2 BMMA) are slated to headline an Oct. 13 event in New York.

Newsday.com first reported the matchup, though Bellator officials haven’t made a formal announcement, and a message from MMAjunkie wasn’t immediately returned.

The event is expected to take place at NYCB LIVE’s Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, home to in Uniondale, N.Y. (on Long Island), and it’s expected to air on Paramount following prelims on MMAjunkie. A day prior, the other half of the grand-prix semifinals – Matt Mitrione (13-5 MMA, 4-0 BMMA) vs. Ryan Bader (25-5 MMA, 3-0 BMMA) – takes place in Connecticut.

Earlier this month, Bellator President Scott Coker told MMAjunkie he planned to host the fight in October and wanted it as close as possible to the Mitrione-Bader fight. In that regard, mission accomplished.

Emelianenko, the former longtime PRIDE heavyweight champion and one of the greatest fighters in MMA history, stamped his ticket to the semis after scoring a 48-second TKO win over ex-UFC titleholder Frank Mir in April. A fight prior, the 41-year-old Ukrainian-born Russian made his Bellator debut and suffered a quick knockout loss to Mitrione. However, it’s his only defeat in his past seven fights, which included bouts with Japan’s Rizin FF and his longtime M-1 home.

He meets former UFC and WEC title challenger Sonnen, who also doubles as a Bellator commentator. The 41-year-old “American Gangster” suffered a submission loss to Tito Ortiz in his Bellator debut but has since rebounded with decision victories over Wanderlei Silva and Quinton Jackson, the latter of which was part of the grand prix’s opening round.

The Emelianenko-Sonnen and Mitrione-Bader winners then meet, likely in early 2019, for Bellator’s vacant heavyweight title and gran
prix championship.

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/07/bella...nnen-tournament-grand-prix-semifinal-new-york

Gotta love @AGEZ909 always providing us with Bellator news.

Fedor stiffens Sonnen.

Watching Chael Sonnen defeat Fedor is going to be one of the best days of my MMA watching life <Moves>

Alright, 3 months to go. Probably a good time to start that training camp.
Fedor bless!

fedors chin = the only way he can lose.

in other categories = chael is fucked.

Fedor by whatever he wants
giphy.gif

As if Russian fighters, of all people, don't juice....

As if Russian fighters, of all people, don't juice....
{<huh}
<Huh2>

why would fedor spend that kind of money when he makes millions of dollars?

Chael is 100% jucied to the tits.
Fedor? I dont see any reason for it.

Last edited:
Fedor has to work on takedown defense (pancake sprawls and single leg defense) as well as standing back up from guard. If Chael comes in striking mostly like he did vs rampage, then I can see a quick Fedor blitz with something connecting that’ll lead to a tko as I feel that Fedor still is quicker than Sonnen. I wish we could get some insight on what fedor will train primarily, with who he will train for this fight etc.

{<huh}
<Huh2>

why would fedor spend that kind of money when he makes millions of dollars?

Chael is 100% jucied to the tits.
Fedor? I dont see any reason for it.

What kind of retarded reasoning is this?

Millionaire athletes juice all the time, Chael is a millionaire too. Jones is a millionaire. The entire squads of NFL and NBA are millionaires.

Fedor is a Russian athlete, PEDs in Russian preparation are as important as a solid breakfast.

Fedor wins this by anything he wants.

What kind of retarded reasoning is this?

Millionaire athletes juice all the time, Chael is a millionaire too. Jones is a millionaire. The entire squads of NFL and NBA are millionaires.

Fedor is a Russian athlete, PEDs in Russian preparation are as important as a solid breakfast.

Fedor wins this by anything he wants.

again: That doesnt make any sense. He doesnt fight for gold, he earns his millions anyway and he wouldnt look like shit.

There is no reason for Fedor to put his health at risk now.

again: That doesnt make any sense. He doesnt fight for gold, he earns his millions anyway and he wouldnt look like shit.

There is no reason for Fedor to put his health at risk now.

Quality "juicing" aka enhancement is the opposite of putting health at risk.

Putting your health at risk would be training naturally at 40 year olds in the toughest sport on your body there is.

Your entire reasoning is backwards.

Quality "juicing" aka enhancement is the opposite of putting health at risk.

Putting your health at risk would be training naturally at 40 year olds in the toughest sport on your body there is.

Your entire reasoning is backwards.

I wanted to edit it, but point goes to you.

"Putting your health at risk would be training naturally at 40 year olds in the toughest sport on your body there is."
<{outtahere}>
If you call this "training".

I dont see any reason for it, because he looks like shit, doesnt fight for gold and gets his millions either way.

edit: Maybe he took something for his injuries, but chael is on everything.

Last edited:
I wanted to edit it, but point goes to you.

"Putting your health at risk would be training naturally at 40 year olds in the toughest sport on your body there is."
<{outtahere}>
If you call this "training".

I dont see any reason for it, because he looks like shit, doesnt fight for gold and gets his millions either way.

That may be true, but I'd guess he rather win than lose to Chael.

Russian athletes, hell any professional athletes especially older ones, are on PEDs. There's no escaping it. Fedor is not an exception.

That may be true, but I'd guess he rather win than lose to Chael.

Russian athletes, hell any professional athletes especially older ones, are on PEDs. There's no escaping it. Fedor is not an exception.

its all speculation.

Fedor better be ready to wrestle and defend from his back.

Fedors record in North America sucks. Lord Shale round 2 TKO.

I believe Fedor will KO Chael , but he'll most likely lose to Bader in the final of the tournament.

Back