Bellator will have, unquestionably, a better WW division than the UFC within 2 years

Toner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rory MacDonald has wins over the current UFC WW champion (Woodley) and the current number 1 contender (Maia). I would favor Rory against them both in a rematch.

Lorenz Larkin has wins over top 10 fighters Lawler, Masvidal, Magny, and now Ponz.

Douglas Lima is arguably the best WW in the world, especially if he beats Rory. I favor Lima over Woodley.

Bellator also has the likes of Koreshkov, MVP, Daley, and Chidi.

Bellator has a much younger WW division as well. Condit is retired and aging fighters like Lawler and Maia will be on their way out soon. In 2 years, it will be clear that Bellator has the best WW division in the world.

Thoughts?

It's not that crazy, they do have a pretty solid WW division.

It's certainly possible but far from questionable.

They certainly have the start of an excellent division though.

Really want to see MVP tested, they would be fools to not make the Daley fight.

Top 5-10 definitely but UFC will always have far better depth

Would be amazing if Bellator got Askren back and somehow bought out WSOF/PFL.

Good points by the OP. Bellator has solid talent, and they are much younger. Around six years avg iirc. Add in the fact that the are adding youth like storley. Toner has a solid case

Agreed that WW will be better. The top 5 are already equal but Bellators average age is 5 years younger so the tiebreaker always goes to youth.

As already mentioned Askren could return to tip the scales even further.

In terms of depth, UFC has them beat there but what you need to do is look at the UFCs WW roster. All the top guys have basically already fought each other where as in Bellator the top guys have mostly fresh matchups instead of rematches moving forward.

It's certainly possible but far from questionable.

They certainly have the start of an excellent division though.

Really want to see MVP tested, they would be fools to not make the Daley fight.
MVP vs Semtex will be awesome

Obviously depth wise they probably don't match up but the top ends are comparable. I'm hopeful that Askren will eventually find his way back too. Him and Coker don't seem to have any bad blood and he's been tweeting about and attending Bellator events recently.

Lima, Rory, Larkin, Koreshkov, MVP, Chidi, Daley, Henderson,,.... they got some solid talent for sure

As if the UFC can't steal away the up and comers.

Don't be surprised if MVP, Chidi, and possibly even Lima jump ship when they get the chance. The idea Bellator pays all of it's fighters better is a myth.

But yes, they have a great WW division. By far the best division in Bellator.

"Yeah but they dont have Conor dummy so it doesnt matter" - Dana

Why are people adding MVP, Chidi, Daley, & Henderson?Daley is a one trick pony,Chidi has missed weight what 8 times?Henderson's game just isn't effective anymore especially at 170 and the MVP hype is a joke.People always want something better even if they have to make themselves delusional.

They have some great fighters at 170 (4 top 15'ish) but this is a stupid question.In 2 years something crazy would have to happen for Bellator to have a better OVERALL 170 division than the UFC.On Sherdog though everyone outside the top 5 sucks and are bums so in the ignorant fans eyes I can see how they'd think that despite being wrong.In two years UFC's 170 will still have WAY more depth.

I really hope Coker can eventually bring back Ben Askren to face Rory for the title.

Why are people adding MVP, Chidi, Daley, & Henderson?Daley is a one trick pony,Chidi has missed weight what 8 times?Henderson's game just isn't effective anymore especially at 170 and the MVP hype is a joke.People always want something better even if they have to make themselves delusional.

They have some great fighters at 170 (4 top 15'ish) but this is a stupid question.In 2 years something crazy would have to happen for Bellator to have a better OVERALL 170 division than the UFC.On Sherdog though everyone outside the top 5 sucks and are bums so in the ignorant fans eyes I can see how they'd think that despite being wrong.In two years UFC's 170 will still have WAY more depth.
Hi Dana

What people don't get about Paul Daley is that he got into Bellator's top 7 by beating guys like Rudy Bears, Dennis Olson, and Andy Uhrich. Once he runs into actual top 5 guys, they mess him up good. His only respectable win in Bellator is Brennan Ward, and Ward is a glass cannon. I'd say Daley is no better than Tim Means level.

MVP is a complete non-factor in the division until he faces someone good.

Back