Bellator to build Western Europe-focused MMA series in 2019

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Next year, the Viacom-owned promotion will hold six to eight events in the U.K. and other Western European countries that will air live on U.K. network Channel 5, Bellator President Scott Coker said.

The shows will feature Bellator veterans while also developing new talent for the promotion’s 22 events per year.

“It’s really to look for the next fighter, and these guys need more fights,” Coker said following Bellator 200, which took place at The SSE Arena in London and aired Stateside via same-day delay on Paramount. “So we’re going to provide more fights, and it will be like almost a Western Europe circuit.

“It’s something we can provide the local fan base a live experience with local talent, and not come here once or twice a year like we’ve been coming.”

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/05/bellator-to-build-western-europe-focused-mma-series-in-2019

not the worst idea in the world. Be interesting to see what level of fighters they will get for these shows.

not the worst idea in the world. Be interesting to see what level of fighters they will get for these shows.

There are a decent # of LHW/HW fighters in Europe. Hopefully they can get some of those guys on the cards and some exposure.

i think its a necessary move. the UFC has saturated the american market to the point where there is no room for growth. the UFC also has branded itself as MMA in the US. hopefully bellator can get the best fighters in europe

Next year, the Viacom-owned promotion will hold six to eight events in the U.K. and other Western
Just a question
That mean 6-8 events on the UK yes or yes or overall?

I was liking the idea of BAMMATOR at the beggining, but the majority of the cards ended up being really bad and tape delayed, hopefully with this new focus they are going to have a better matchmaking that let them create legit contenders and branding in the countrys they go....

I'm telling you: Bellator Rotterdam is gonna be a nice card.

Mousasi vs Rory
Manhoef vs Shlemenko

Just a question
That mean 6-8 events on the UK yes or yes or overall?

I believe you are asking if these 6-8 events will be Bellator's only events in UK/W. Europe? No. Coker said he still wants to do their regular number of tentpoles and regular shows in UK.

I liken these events to the Bellator Nascar fights except they will be televised. Low profile, low skill guys fighting for exposure and experience.

Next year, the Viacom-owned promotion will hold six to eight events in the U.K. and other Western European countries that will air live on U.K. network Channel 5, Bellator President Scott Coker said.

The shows will feature Bellator veterans while also developing new talent for the promotion’s 22 events per year.

“It’s really to look for the next fighter, and these guys need more fights,” Coker said following Bellator 200, which took place at The SSE Arena in London and aired Stateside via same-day delay on Paramount. “So we’re going to provide more fights, and it will be like almost a Western Europe circuit.

“It’s something we can provide the local fan base a live experience with local talent, and not come here once or twice a year like we’ve been coming.”

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/05/bellator-to-build-western-europe-focused-mma-series-in-2019

BUT BUT BUT I THOUGHT BELLATOR DIENG???
( LOL)

This is great!!!

They already have a few regional orgs in the US and abroad that have tournaments to win Bellator contracts.Having this going in Europe will only help get contenders and prospects in Bellator.

This also confirms my theory of Bellator trying to become a presence in the UK and in Europe as they are seeing better money oppurtunity overseas.its pretty obvious from cokers interviews they are more concerned with foreign markets then the domestic market.

They should focus on building their kickboxing brand when it comes to the European market, it's more popular. MMA is by-and-large irrelevant in Europe.

i think its a necessary move. the UFC has saturated the american market to the point where there is no room for growth. the UFC also has branded itself as MMA in the US. hopefully bellator can get the best fighters in europe

This has been my stance for a while. Bellators ratings in the USA are suffering because the ufc dominates and has oversaturated this market. You know the market is oversaturated when UFC’s owns ratings suffer. The difference is that ufc can take the hit and are probably doing it to drown the competition out. Smart move for Bellator to look to invest in a market that has been, somewhat, neglected by the ufc, a very valuable mma market in the UK. It makes even more sense when Viacom owns channels in that market.

Interested to see the type of talent they comes out of these shows.

They need to sign Fabian Edwards.

Great move. UFC is taking a nap in Western Europe. Treating UK like an unwanted side chick...terrible cards, shown at inconvenient times to cater to their main chick back in America..

Bellator wants to come along, treat UK right and take advantage of the hardcore fanbase that the UFC and Bisping built but have neglected.

This has been my stance for a while. Bellators ratings in the USA are suffering because the ufc dominates and has oversaturated this market. You know the market is oversaturated when UFC’s owns ratings suffer. The difference is that ufc can take the hit and are probably doing it to drown the competition out. Smart move for Bellator to look to invest in a market that has been, somewhat, neglected by the ufc, a very valuable mma market in the UK. It makes even more sense when Viacom owns channels in that market.

Interested to see the type of talent they comes out of these shows.

They need to sign Fabian Edwards.

The UFC is the NFL of MMA in North America. They're a monopoly that's practically invincible they don't really need to focus on foreign markets to rake in a huge profit. I really believe their indifference to Europe of all places is such a colossally stupid move considering their biggest star is the European born Champion Conor Mcgregor. Bellator is gonna take a huge W for sure

Its a good idea. 200 was better than most UFC UK cards even with the Cro Cop/Big Country fight cancelled. Plus Chalmers is a pretty big name in the UK and MVP seems about as well known as Till here at the moment. Being on ch5 gives them decent exposure too.

I hope they don't follow through with this. There are better promotions in Europe than Bellator and I'd rather watch the better fighters on ACB, KSW, EFN, BAMMA etc than Bellator. They've held numerous cards in Ireland and each time they were unavailable to watch live unless you attend the show. They're just a very shoddy promotion in every way.

I'm telling you: Bellator Rotterdam is gonna be a nice card.

Mousasi vs Rory
Manhoef vs Shlemenko
is there any confirmation Bellator will come to Rotterdam? If so i will be there 100%. ( if the card is decent that is )

Great move. UFC is taking a nap in Western Europe. Treating UK like an unwanted side chick...terrible cards, shown at inconvenient times to cater to their main chick back in America..

Bellator wants to come along, treat UK right and take advantage of the hardcore fanbase that the UFC and Bisping built but have neglected.
One event. One event they had catered to the US time zones.

6-8 events a year? Just make a 10 or more events in Europe for a change.

Back