Bellator Signs Jiu-Jitsu Ace Dillon Danis

CC27

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/3/1...partner-of-conor-mcgregor-signs-with-bellator

One of the top grapplers in the world — and a training partner of Conor McGregor — is headed to Bellator.

Dillon Danis inked a deal with the MMA promotion Monday, MMA Fighting confirmed with Bellator officials. Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports was the first to break the news. Danis had pondered the idea of fighting in MMA for a while; now his first pro fight will be under the Bellator banner.

Danis has been a key training partner for McGregor, the UFC lightweight champion, since before McGregor’s second fight with Nate Diaz last year. Danis and McGregor have grown close.

“I want to fight the best, just like Conor does,” Danis told Yahoo. “We’re different people, though we’re very like-minded. We set high goals and we aren’t afraid to try to achieve. I feel he’s the best ever, in my opinion, and so if people want to compare us, well, how could it be bad if you’re a basketball player to be compared to Michael Jordan? That’s essentially what people would be saying if they compare us.

“I obviously respect what he has accomplished and will accomplish in the future. He’s incredible and the aura of confidence he has is amazing. He’s a champion for a reason. But I want to go down my own path and do it my way.”

Danis, a New York resident, is a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt under the legendary Marcelo Garcia. He is an IBJJF world champion as a brown belt in both gi and no gi. Danis, 23, is regarded as one of the top grapplers at his weight in the world. He told Yahoo that he plans on fighting at welterweight initially and then maybe lightweight.

Bellator can add his name to its growing list of promising prospects from a specific martial art. The promotion has wrestling blue-chippers Aaron Pico, Ed Ruth, Jarod Trice, Tyrel Fortune, and Joey Davis under contract already.

Danis told Yahoo that his plan is to have his first fight toward the end of the year.

Welterweight you say? Guess Rudy Bears/Dennis Olson is gonna get a call.

Bellator can add his name to its growing list of promising prospects from a specific martial art. The promotion has wrestling blue-chippers Aaron Pico, Ed Ruth, Jarod Trice, Tyrel Fortune, and Joey Davis under contract already.

Poor Romero Cotton didn't make the list... I'm curious when he will have his first fight.

Good signing for Bellator. I am sure UFC would have liked to have him, but other than feeding Punk to him. Isn't much to do with a fighter with no record for them.

Will be a solid name for them to book, plus if they keep going to Ireland he would be a solid draw over there I am sure.

Being friends with Conor has its perks, you get main event in UFC and signed to Bellator.

Without Conor would Artem be in UFC? Would Bellator have signed Danis?

Also like Gallagher you can already hear Grande talking about Conor a million times during his debut.

Being Conor's butt buddy really does open up (back)doors for you.

Being Conor's butt buddy really does open up (back)doors for you.

What a nice change of pace for Danis, since he's always the one opening up (back)doors for Conor.

Danis has great potential. I assume he will be training at Conors gym which will give him great sparring. Conor, Gunny and Lobov. Thats a solid camp. Technical training with Conor, brawling with Lobov and mixing it up wiht Gunner. Great camp for Danis. Lets see how he does.

how are his other skills, or is this the extent of his gameplan?
tumblr_oml0h6XzX41sxr2d1o1_400.gif

Well, let's see how he does in the cage..... Bellator WW division is really good righ now

Say what you want, but I think Bellator is pretty damn good at building up their young prospects.
Only guy Bellator seems to have built up successfully is MVP and Coker isn't even fully responsible for that. MVP KO'd a couple fighters in the Bjorn era too. MVP is not being built towards the belt or contendership, just social media attention.

No casual cares about college wrestlers or anybody else that Bellator has been trying to build.
Well, let's see how he does in the cage..... Bellator WW division is really good righ now
He won't be put in with decent fighters for a while. Any normal promotion would have about 2-4 squash matches for build-up purposes, Bellator will double that.

UFC drop the ball again. This is worse than hat leg kicker, rory, and bader not re-signing.

Dillon pablo danis has signed with bellator. The fighters are scared and the UFC fighters are praying he doesn't do well.

I'm excited.

Fifth time I see this on the front page. But I suppose it can be excused because of the great avatar.

Theres no term future goat. Bellator and goat has nothing to do with each other. Even if you start replying images of The Last Cancrusher.

Back