Bellator s--- the bed with this tournament

As long as the final happens between like September and early-November, I think it'll all be fine. If it waits any longer than that, it starts to be questionable.
I'm not gonna doubt Coker's tournament concept in its entirety just yet because things didn't go as well the first time. I think he thinks a big tournament final featuring guys with big names that you normally don't associate with tournaments is the appeal Coker's going for, and considering there were extenuating circumstances that destroyed the tournament the first time around (like the 8-month gap separating the semis and the finals because of Cormier's hand-injury and Overeem leaving Strikeforce after beating Werdum in the quarter-final), I'm not gonna say that's unfounded.

The Strikeforce tournament was going pretty good between June and September, 2011. Sure, the four-month gap between the quarter-final matches messed it up, but you had 5 tournament bouts between June and September, and people were pretty excited for the finals at the end of it. If it weren't for the 8-month gap between the semi-finals and the finals due to Cormier's injury, the tournament would've had a lot more hype by the time the finals came around. If it had happened in December, when the memory of watching Barnett easily submit Kharitonov and Cormier get a gigantic, impressive upset over Bigfoot Silva (right after he'd beaten Fedor) was still fresh in people's minds, it would've been more well-received. It's not like those are really big ifs, either.
But, because of the 8-month gap... if it wasn't for the two or three gigantic lift-takedowns, I doubt winning the Strikeforce heavyweight championship 15 months after the tournament began would've gotten Cormier as much hype as it did.

The amount of time the quarter finals are going to take is frustrating, but I think spacing out the quarter-finals was done more out of necessity [it's not like Coker wants it to take 4 months for the first and fourth quarter finalists to be decided, but they need main events and he can't have a 7-month gap between the tournament being announced and the fights actually happening just to have 'em all on the same night, and he's not gonna have another four-month gap between quarter-final matchups being decided like last time just so he can, again, have them on the same night], so I can't blame Coker, and as long as semi-final/final time goes on schedule, it'll all be good in the end. Even if the guys get injured, they've got enough names in their heavyweight and light-heavyweight divisions to make up for it.

You mean besides the fact that there are 3 LHWs, a MW, 1 decent-ish HW, and 3 washed-up geriatric HWs?

Chael hasn't fought at middleweight in 6 years, and when he did he was almost looking Travis Lutter-level dehydrated, and he's fought six times above the division since then. And he's heavier than King Mo-- the last time they both weighed in King Mo was 212 and Chael was 222-- but people don't call King Mo a middleweight. I don't think it's fair to denigrate his place in the tournament by calling him a middleweight of all things.

Chael hasn't fought at middleweight in 6 years, and when he did he was almost looking Travis Lutter-level dehydrated, and he's fought six times above the division since then. And he's heavier than King Mo-- the last time they both weighed in King Mo was 212 and Chael was 222-- but people don't call King Mo a middleweight. I don't think it's fair to denigrate his place in the tournament by calling him a middleweight of all things.

King Mo has never fought at MW, Chael has. A lot. Maybe I should've typed "career MW"

The Strikeforce HW GP was a complete disaster. Not surprised Coker is repeating the same mistakes. I'm willing to bet an alternate wins this one too lol.

Yeah this doesn't have any of the excitement or feeling I got from the SF HW GP. Round per night would have been excellent

King Mo has never fought at MW, Chael has. A lot. Maybe I should've typed "career MW"

What weight class he's fought most at is irrelevant (and he's fought like 20 times at light-heavyweight, too). He's fought five of his last six fights at light-heavyweight, the sixth was at heavyweight, possibly his next two fights will be at heavyweight, he's bigger than someone you consider a legit light-heavyweight, and he's never going back down to middleweight. It's inaccurate to call him a middleweight considering all of that; it's not 2012 anymore. Calling him a middleweight is like calling him the father of two children.
King Mo also wrestled at 184, for what it's worth.

Strikeforce was spread out like this too. The worst thing that can happen are injuries to fighters moving on in the bracket. Then again, DC was a replacement and won the whole thing.

Let's not forget fighters just leaving during the middle of tournament also.

Probably was one of the biggest cluster F of a tournament ever on the big stage. Sure a few rising stars came from it but those guys would've been just fine never being part of it.

The idea that you can' fight several times the same night or more closely especially if it is a tournament is stupid.

King mo won a tournament in Japan not to long ago that was a real tournament with several fights in one night or at least like in the same time period of a few days or weeks.
So did freaking cro cop.
And two months ago horogucci won the rizin flyweighr world championship three fights in like one month and the semis and finals in one night.

Olympic boxing and wrestling is also lots of matches in a short span.

I like the tournament but it is not fat asterisk attached to the 'tournament' aspect of it.

I have to say that I love it. 99% of fighters aren't going to be contending for a belt anytime soon; putting them in a tournament gives them a chance to be relevant and actually fight for something other than just a W. It also ensures that those who deserve it move on as opposed to promoters cherry picking guys that sell. I also love people fighting at basically an open weight. It'd be awesome to see all LHWs fighting each other with no weight restriction, same goes for MWs etc. I want to see the best version of Ryan Bader or King Mo and it wouldn't be at 205 lbs.

Should have just given Kongo the title. Currently the winningest HW in Bellator.

Coker and Rich Chou don't know how to build divisions. Every event is just clustered together.

Should have just given Kongo the title. Currently the winningest HW in Bellator.

Coker and Rich Chou don't know how to build divisions. Every event is just clustered together.

Kongo and Ayala should be in the tourney, travesty I tell ya!

Bellator's original tournaments were much quicker and felt like actual tournaments. I wonder if the reason for the delay is because they have actual names and have to schedule based on when these guys want to fight.

Back