Bellator MMA land 'game changing' multi-year nine-figure deal with DAZN

Viacom did alot for bellator.

They used TNA which was one of their most viewed programming to lead into bellator,

They created a reality show for bellator. (2 if you count gym rescue with randy couture)

They blasted ads all over their other programming pushing the events.

They hired Scott Coker.

etc...

you cant just keep investing when youre not seeing a return.
Absolutley. This idea that viacom hasin't put effort into Bellator is nonsense. They've been solid.

Since i got DAZN...i can not complain at all...

DAZN's first month is for free...btw

You also get alot of boxing PPV for free...plus BAMMA, Glory, EFC, M1, NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, Rugby and so on...for 10 bucks

I never said he disliked it
He bought it for cheap & didn't invest all that much
The rumors of how badly UFC were doing before TUF is greatly exaggerated
I post the numbers a few months ago from 2004
They started making money within 3-4 years.

Lorenzo was emotionally involved, but that does not mean he is an "MMA guy"
He wanted it to succeed & as UFC grew, his Vegas profile grew & more importantly his bank account.

Dana loved MMA
The Fertittas loved money
It was perfect
Together they created an ATM & sold when they went as far as they could

Fair enough. In any way he was absolutely more involved than new owners.

BTW, so you consider buying UFC being not a risky move from Fertittas? Just wondering.

You also get alot of boxing PPV for free...plus BAMMA, Glory, EFC, M1, NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, Rugby and so on...for 10 bucks

That's arguably better than Fight Pass, or ESPN+...right?

In Canada I'm not seeing NBA, NHL, or Boxing. But every NFL game including the superbowl could be a big deal for some.

Its pretty good in my opinion...
They don't have the Library that Fight Pass has...if an event has ended or a game is over, they have it up for the next week or even a little more...then its gone...

...they do not show every single NBA or NHL or MLB or NFL game...you get the top games of the day...but allmost every Playoff game

With Glory, they show the entire event...from prelims to he Main Card

EFC full Cards
M1 full Cards i think
BAMMA full Cards

Boxing full Cards (not every single card but at least all the big ones)...prelims and Main Card (showtime, HBO etc...)
SuperKombat kickboxing

...some Racing stuff, Darts, Tennis, Soccer from England, Spain, Italy, Brasil, Turkey...all games

...for 10€ a month...thats a good deal imo...

So i hooked me up with DAZN...

So with DAZN(Bellator, M1, ECF, BAMMA, Boxing, Glory..), FITE and ACB, ROADFC, FightNights and MuayThaiMax or MAX Muay Thai(they stream like every 2-3 days live from Thailand) on youtube...i'm hooked up pretty good with combat sports...

In Canada I'm not seeing NBA, NHL, or Boxing. But every NFL game including the superbowl could be a big deal for some.
Yup, specially in a country where you don't get those sports on TV...

But you don't get all the games of the regular season...Playoffs you get allmost every game + superbowl, NBA finals, Stanley Cup finals, World Series...

In US we won't get any of that except some Boxing(not PPV) and Bellator. That is all that is advertised currently on the US based website. Maybe they add some stuff but it says coming in the summer of 2018 and we are quickly approaching half way through summer for most.

Like some are alluding to...............I think this might really be the first step of Viacom trying to pump Bellator's bottom line for a sale.

Nothing in Bellator's numbers would say that charging for the product will be successful. But you have DAZN who is more or less over paying for content right now to build. Right place, right time for Bellator I guess. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the fighters that cost a lot money are going to be only on the platform that they get paid for. It's an easy way to hide what would've been guaranteed loses on Bellator's side by airing it on Paramount.

Be interesting to see if Paramount sells Bellator in the next few years. Signs for sure seem to point that way.

Thats pretty much what I been looking for. If I can cut the cord and have all the sports I want to watch on one service I can take with me everywhere.

I can't see this being a good thing for growing the brand in the US. In Europe sure if you like the additional sports coverage. Joe average isn't gonna pay for a product they barely watch now. Sure I watched bellator but mainly because It was free and I found some of their fights interesting. How many people besides the hardcore fans even know who saad awad and caveman Are? I doubt this even adds 50k subs a month to dazn.

I can't see this being a good thing for growing the brand in the US. In Europe sure if you like the additional sports coverage. Joe average isn't gonna pay for a product they barely watch now. Sure I watched bellator but mainly because It was free and I found some of their fights interesting. How many people besides the hardcore fans even know who saad awad and caveman Are? I doubt this even adds 50k subs a month to dazn.

They wouldn't grow on TV regardless if it was on cable or network. UFCs numbers were at record lows on FOX and declining on Fox sports. Even UFC signed a deal that splits up their content on TV and ESPN+.

In a time of cord cutting and live sports being a sought after commodity, it makes sense for Bellator to jump on the ground floor of a live sports app. I see this more as securing long-term viability rather than quick growth of more viewers. Also note Bellator isn't going all in on DAZN, over 3/4 of their cards will be on Paramount.

Depends on your country. Every country has different content/pricing. You will NEVER see the NHL/NFL/NBA/MLB etc on DAZN in America because that would go against the huge tv deals they sign.

Since UFC is doing something similar I feel more confident that it isn't just a panic move, but a smart move and future thinking.

What college students who move into their own home in 3 years will order cable?

Plus the $ figure isn't to be undervalued. That can help them get to the next level.

Since UFC is doing something similar I feel more confident that it isn't just a panic move, but a smart move and future thinking.

What college students who move into their own home in 3 years will order cable?

Plus the $ figure isn't to be undervalued. That can help them get to the next level.

you think theyll order dazn?

they are less likely to order dazn than they are cable.

Last edited:
you think theyll order dazn?

they are less likely to order dazn than they are cable.
Point taken, but seems to be where things are headed.

Speaking for myself. By 2019 I'll be more likely to order DAZN than to order cable.

Last edited:
Fair enough. In any way he was absolutely more involved than new owners.

BTW, so you consider buying UFC being not a risky move from Fertittas? Just wondering.

Not that risky
They bought it for $2m

Back