Bellator Bantamweight champion, Darrion Caldwell; moving up to Featherweight

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

Caldwell will apparently face Noad Lahat (12-3, last beat Jeremiah Labiano by UD at Bellator 188).

I would have thought that Caldwell would have gotten a better opponent.. but whatever. He should beat Lahat up regardless.

He will get the 145 belt within a year imo.

Thoughts?

He'll cream Lahat. Maybe get a fight with Emmanuel Sanchez or Curran afterwards.

Glad he's moving up though, Bellator's BW division is nearly nonexistent. Really lack fighters.

Damm, Mini Conor already stated in his early Bellator days that he could drop to BW so it is not surprising, but Caldwell, this was unexpected for me, he never said nothing about hard weight cuts or something, hopefully this is a fight he takes just to be active while Bellator is creating new BW contenders....

Doesn't say anything if it's permanent, or if he's retiring the belt, or anything like that.

Noad Lahat seems like a very winnable fight though. Kind of sucks when your main weapon is wrestling -- and you're facing Darion Caldwell.

Great move. There was nothing for him at BW

Storley vs Matthews added to the card
If Gallagher fights to it is a really decent card for me

Last edited:
Is he staying at FW and giving up BW belt?

If so ok, this is a fight he'll win and not all that great but its first fight in the div and he'll make a run towards a Pitbull fight which is great.

If this is a stay busy fight then its dumb, why did you book Mayday/Dantas instead of giving Mayday the fight vs Caldwell? Forcing him to take random FW fights?

Great move but not sure Lahat makes sense. There’s plenty of more formidable guys at Bellators 145. That’s assuming it’s a permanent move and not just a “stay busy while not cutting too much weight” fight

Damm, Mini Conor already stated in his early Bellator days that he could drop to BW so it is not surprising, but Caldwell, this was unexpected for me, he never said nothing about hard weight cuts or something, hopefully this is a fight he takes just to be active while Bellator is creating new BW contenders....
Call this a theory.. but I think Gallagher may have been wanting an easier path to a title. I really think Gallagher had little to offer Patricio Friere, even littler to offer against Caldwell (their wrestling is miles apart), I think Caldwell would make Gallagher look like a child.

But now that Caldwell is up at 145 (if permanent), there are not so many challenges at 135 except Dantas, Higo and McDonald.

Doesn't say anything if it's permanent, or if he's retiring the belt, or anything like that.

Noad Lahat seems like a very winnable fight though. Kind of sucks when your main weapon is wrestling -- and you're facing Darion Caldwell.
I am really a fan of Caldwell. There are a few fighters that Bellator have picked up who have been stand-out wrestlers from college in D1/D2... Joey Davis (D2 champ), Tywan Claxton (not sure, but does have a background), Ed Ruth (D1 champ x2), Storley (D1) etc.. and of course, Pico. They are really exciting to watch, but it is sad to see they will be stuck with Bellator for a while.

Why him or AJ cant get a fight with Gallagher? Caldwell is going to get derailed by Pico most likely.

I don't get this. Imagine Mighty Mouse moving up to 135lbs and fighting say, Luke Sanders?
Pointless. Champ vs Champ, or at the very least, #1 contender.

Would love to see Caldwell in a FW tournament if they have one.

Last edited:

Just looking at him and seeing his college wrestling weight class is enough for me to assume 135lbs has to be brutal for him. I feel like he collected his belt and will let his body fill into its more natural 145lb forever.

I don't get this. Imagine Mighty Mouse moving up to 135lbs and fighting say, Luke Sanders?
Pointless. Champ vs Champ, or at the very least, #1 contender.

Anderson Silva sort of did just that. If Mayday beats Dantas I hope he fights him, if not i'd rather see Caldwell make 145lbs his new home. Only worth him starving down to 135 if its in the UFC at this point.

A test fight at 145 makes a bit of sense if he intends to stay at 145.

Why him or AJ cant get a fight with Gallagher? Caldwell is going to get derailed by Pico most likely.

Oh wow, that fight gets me excited! I'd have to pick Caldwell at this point but hard to have confidence with anyone over Pico for me.

3 times, but good post.
Thanks for the correction, this is even more of an achievement. There have been many good NCAA All-Americans, and some champions. But have there been many 2/3/4 times champion?

Back