Bellator 8 Man Tournament 1st Round match-ups

If Chael has to fight Mir that is literally an unwinnable match up for him

Looks like it can be a funny tournament. Several guys have the tools to finish anyone, but have also shown lately that they can be put out by pretty much anyone with a decent punch either.

Frank Mir vs. Fedor Emelianenko

I see Mir getting the better our of Fedor. Fedor is the shell of his former self and Mir has been fighting better opponents these last years. Mir by sub.

Chael Sonnen vs. Quinton Jackson

Rampage is out of shape, but he might be too strong physically for Sonnen. Rampage by decision.

Roy Nelson vs. Ryan Bader

Big Country can take a punch, and can hit hard. He's also good on the ground. I can see him enduring Bader's attacks and land some big hit for a come from behind win. Nelson by KO

Matt Mitrione vs. Muhammed Lawal

Mitrione might be too big for Mo. He also hits quite hard, has good footwork and his kicks are dangerous. While not being a world beater, Mitrione might be too much for Mo to handle.
Mitrione by late TKO

If Chael has to fight Mir that is literally an unwinnable match up for him

Yeah, not at his size. If he were a few inches taller and a solid 265 (in other words, if he grew into Lesnar), it would be winnable.

Roy Nelson vs. Ryan Bader

Big Country can take a punch, and can hit hard. He's also good on the ground. I can see him enduring Bader's attacks and land some big hit for a come from behind win. Nelson by KO

I disagree on this. Roy always has a small puncher's chance, but in recent years he's only been able to KO guys with zero chin left who are way past their prime--Bigfoot and Big Nog. And those were both several years ago. Bader is a bit chinny, but he's much faster than Roy and won't be a sitting duck target for a slow, telegraphed overhand right. Also, while Roy has good sub defense and can outwrestle guys with very poor grappling, he's not a great wrestler. Mir manhandled him in the grappling department, and Mir is no NCAA Div 1 wrestler.

To be fair, Chael is actually a year older than Rampage. Age isn't an excuse. It comes down more to serious training and conditioning, which Rampage rarely does any more.
Sonnen would beat rampage I think easily

Sonnen a great gas tank overwelms page with pressure

Rampage did well with wrestlers who could strike

Wrestlers grapplers he lost

Chuck wrestler he lost

Yeah, not at his size. If he were a few inches taller and a solid 265 (in other words, if he grew into Lesnar), it would be winnable.
Mir is a lock imo

Sonnen takes Mir down easily then its all Mir

Who do you think makes it to Round 2?

Frank Mir, Quinton Jackson, Ryan Bader, Matt Mitrione.

Mir if he don't overthink he is his worst enemy,
Rampage if he is in shape,
Vader Bader he is on a roll,
Meathead cause he is back.
Vs them rampage easily

None would take him down page kills them on feet

Yeah, especially since Rampage won't have to cut to 205. Then again, a candy-eating, 250-pound Rampage might not do so well, either. But I still think it's a bad match-up for Chael. He did better against Wand and Shogun, who lack Rampage's wrestling and strength. The only hope is that Rampage's declining TDD is now weak enough for Chael to get consistent power doubles.
Page kills him I think

S onnen won't over power him or outwrestle him

Yeah, it's hard to say. Rampage has a mixed history with wrestlers. He beat Randleman but lost to Rashad and of course Jones. He had a surprisingly close fight with Lindland (a MW like Sonnen) and lost to Bader (who's considerably bigger than Sonnen). But then he came to Bellator and went 1-1 vs. King Mo, who's also bigger than Sonnen. It's hard to say. Rampage could come in at 250 pounds which may help him in some ways but hurt him in others. I'm pulling for Chael so I'm hoping Rampage isn't training or conditioning seriously.
Yeah agree with you

I just noticed I have said page and chael would win in different posts lol

Though sober I think rampage wins

Last edited:
I disagree on this. Roy always has a small puncher's chance, but in recent years he's only been able to KO guys with zero chin left who are way past their prime--Bigfoot and Big Nog. And those were both several years ago. Bader is a bit chinny, but he's much faster than Roy and won't be a sitting duck target for a slow, telegraphed overhand right. Also, while Roy has good sub defense and can outwrestle guys with very poor grappling, he's not a great wrestler. Mir manhandled him in the grappling department, and Mir is no NCAA Div 1 wrestler.

I agree with you. I just think Bader won't be able to stop Nelson and could make the fight dangerous for him later. I can imagine Roy landing something, otherwise Bader is superior.

It will be interesting if all the "small" guys win and it becomes basically a LHW tourney.

Back