Bellator 8 Man Tournament 1st Round match-ups

Frank Mir vs. Fedor Emelionenko

Chael Sonnen vs. Quinton Jackson

Roy Nelson vs. Ryan Bader

Matt Mitrione vs. Muhammed Lawal

Who do you think makes it to Round 2?
Discuss

Interesting... that is one way to get the bigger guys out of the tourny and balancing things out.

at first I was worried Rampage would be the smallest one there.. (reach) but matched up with Sonnen is a good start.

My favorites to win the Tourny was Mir or Mitrione..because of their size.. mainly Mitrione because of his speed as well.

but Fedor could beat Mir...and King Mo has a good chance at Mitrione.... and maybe Bader wrestle fucks Nelson....

Rampage might have a chance.

tenor.gif

Danm I'm the only one picking Roy , I don't see Bader just out grappling him easily Roy has a better chance to finish imo

imagine if Mir vs Fedor could've happened when both guys still had it

4 LHWs LOL.
Yeah but Pride's 2006 openweight tournament didn't have all HW's - Minowa, Yoshida, Wand, TK, Reem were all 'LHW' or smaller sized

We still loved it. This will be awesome.

Who do you think makes it to Round 2?

Frank Mir, Quinton Jackson, Ryan Bader, Matt Mitrione.

Mir if he don't overthink he is his worst enemy,
Rampage if he is in shape,
Vader Bader he is on a roll,
Meathead cause he is back.

The balls on King Mo.

Guy is a small LHW, could be a decent sized MW, but routinely fights good heavyweights.

Kongo, Cro Cop, now Mitrione.

I hope he's ok.

Mo is excellent wrestler and I think that he has a good chance to outwrestle anyone, no matter the size. He allready proved it against much bigger guys.
Bader is tough matchup for him due to his wrestling style, but Mo is better boxer with longer reach.

I don`t know if those matchups are confirmed, but Mo has a good chance to outwrestle Mitrione, take him down and win the fight on the ground.

I am dissapointed that Bader is fighting Nelson in the first round. IMHO they are the most likely to win the tournament and the highest ranked fighters.

i dont really understand why some of you hate and make fun of this tournament. i love the idea of lhw's who test themselves at hw and the real hw's arent bad fighters altho out of their primes.

Mo allready won a openweight tournament in Rizin and did so while competing against decent opponents and Rampage and Bader are huge lhw's who cut massive weight to make the lhw limit. the only one that doesnt fit in this tournament is Sonnen.

i actually pick a lhw as the favorite to win this tournament ( Bader )

A Heavyweight tournament with King Mo, Ryan Bader, and Chael Sonnen, but you don't include Kongo or Lashley?? Seriously, Wtf is this?
Lashley is content fighting cans and i dont think he will ever fight a legit opponent again.

Maybe there was a dispute with Kongo? who knows maybe they have other plans with him. Sergei is competing for M-1 so i understand why Bellator didnt choose him. Ayala would have been a good name instead of Sonnen but who knows maybe same story as with Kongo.

Chael and King Mo actually have really good chances. All they have to do is get a takedown. Rampage's shown a takedown susceptibility in recent years-- especially against someone who has as aggressive a double-leg-against-the-cage wrasslin' style as Chael-- and Mitrione's only weapon is a right-hook. That's all he's got. I mean, technically he has more, but if you have the skills, as long as you can avoid his right-hook you've got a real good chance against him, and King Mo's good enough to wrestlefuck him.
Bader-Nelson'll probably look like Cormier vs. Nelson did, except without all the excitement.
Mir-Fedor is the one that's probably the closest. Normally Fedor's best chance of victory is to go his classic chain-wrestling Sambist style-- closing the distance with a big strike, getting underhooks and working a series of trips and takedowns in quick succession until one of them lands, then doing what we all know Fedor does from the top that I'm not educated enough to elaborate on-- but with Mir that's not the best strategy. They're both pretty chinny now, though, and that's the big thing. Fedor learning from his mistakes and actually keeping his hands up and having enough tact to watch out for his opponent's best strikes is gonna be the real deciding factor probably-- if he can do that, and not do something like keep his lead hand low when the only thing he has to worry about from his opponent is their lead-hook on that exact side (like against Mitrione), he'll probably win. If you're gonna keep your hand that low, at least jab to the body; that's one of the best things you can do with a low guard. That's literally all he has to do; he's fast enough where he doesn't have to worry about Mir getting a surprise takedown, Mir's not gonna work him over in the clinch, the ground game isn't gonna be a factor since that's not gonna be Fedor's road to victory unless he has balls of caliche, he just has to take his lack of comparative durability to his prime into account and protect himself accordingly.

Needs Minowaman, his balls weigh in at 206lbs alone.

I love the haters lol

Nobody wants to see Kongo mo
Beat him lashley can't commit too 3 fights and these for fights get ratings. Atleast bellator is having tournaments it's funny no one complains about a UFC card with dinosaurs look at there 205 and hw division.
Bader legit fighter facing a top 10 hw great a guy he can't take down at will. This will turn into power vs speed Roy by decision.

Matt mitrione vs king mo king mo might have a better career at hw than lhw. I think the winner of this fight can win the tourny Matt by ko.

Rampage vs chael sonnen rampage is a hw now if he's motivated he's always dangerous these guys once had legit beef. This is a very interesting fight because if he's motivated rampage will stuff Chaels tds but chael will test rampages cardio I think rampage wins a brutal close decision

Fedor vs mir fucking great and winnable fight for fedor he needs to be more patient fedor by ko

The way they set this up fedor rampage both have a chance to get to final that's huge for ratings

Rd 2 rampage vs fedor
Mitrione vs Roy
Magical mitrione fedor rematch in final

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back