Bellator 192 Had A 670k Gate

I’m going...to support the gate..

This is not a bad gate by bellator's standards imo. i don't really know what goodman is getting at. what else can you expect from a company that only began to turn it around 2-3 years ago? few other companies are doing even bellator numbers.

This is not a bad gate by bellator's standards imo. i don't really know what goodman is getting at. what else can you expect from a company that only began to turn it around 2-3 years ago? few other companies are doing even bellator numbers.

I'm not sure Goodman is saying it's troublesome because he expects more out of them. I think he means its troublesome because of what they are spending versus making.

I'm not sure Goodman is saying it's troublesome because he expects more out of them. I think he means its troublesome because of what they are spending versus making.
I can definitely see that angle, but mma history has shown us that it isnt as simple as sign new talent and watch the dollars pile up. the ufc ate costs for years before they saw any profit. im sure bellator is in a similar phase. the growth phase in any brand is usually the most costly. this is why most mma orgs that dont have deep pockets crumble.

still though. nearly 700k isnt horrible for an org that was seeing what, 100k gates like 4 years ago(obviously just pulling a number out of my ass, but you get the idea)

Last edited:
I can definitely see that angle, but mma history has shown us that it isnt as simple as sign new talent and watch the dollars pile up. the ufc ate costs for years before they saw any profit. im sure bellator is in a similar phase. the growth phase if any brand is usually the most costly. this is why most mma orgs that dont have deep pockets crumble.

still though. nearly 700k isnt horrible for an org that was seeing what, 100k gates like 4 years ago(obviously just pulling a number out of my ass, but you get the idea)

Yea the main issue is Viacom really invested in MMA enough to eat the losses? I'm sure they are to an extent but for how long?

Yea the main issue is Viacom really invested in MMA enough to eat the losses? I'm sure they are to an extent but for how long?
i think its a little more complicated than that. viacom is a global entity with channels all around the world. the difference between bellator and lip sync battle is that bellator has the realistic potential of being distributed to many more channel than lip sync battle. in short, bellator provides content to not only paramount, but a slew of channels owned by viacom all across the world. time slots need to be filled with content.

ive also read an article of viacoms 4th quarter earnings last year. it stated that ad revenue domestically was down a couple percent, but ad revenue internationally went up a considerable amount. this could be why viacom is pushing bellator to hold more and more international events.

That's a lot of comp tickets.

I went for free...Does anyone have comparible gate numbers for ufc 199? It was at the fourm too but I have a feeling bellator might be being more transparent.

Not a bad gate, but yes I don't see how they continue to sign big name ex-UFC guys and presumably pay them several hundred thousand $. To support those purses it would seem you would need to continually do $1 million gate, or much better TV ratings and/or PPV.

But only 2nd highest? Haven't their large tentpole and PPVs done like $800k?

Not a bad number, have to be realistic with expectations I guess. See online numbers saying some random UK show did million dollar gate, never believed those numbers.

And Coker saying its number 2 shows they've only done one million dollar gate and thats for the PPV in NYC.

Does bring up question can they keep this model up, they are paying guys alot more money now and spending more on production and they arent bringing in million dollar gates and huge ratings.

Can they keep it up?

Not a bad gate, but yes I don't see how they continue to sign big name ex-UFC guys and presumably pay them several hundred thousand $. To support those purses it would seem you would need to continually do $1 million gate, or much better TV ratings and/or PPV.

But only 2nd highest? Haven't their large tentpole and PPVs done like $800k?

PPV in NYC did 1.5 mill gate thats their highest. NY debut, PPV, like UFC did they can charge higher prices for those events.

Not a bad number, have to be realistic with expectations I guess. See online numbers saying some random UK show did million dollar gate, never believed those numbers.

And Coker saying its number 2 shows they've only done one million dollar gate and thats for the PPV in NYC.

Does bring up question can they keep this model up, they are paying guys alot more money now and spending more on production and they arent bringing in million dollar gates and huge ratings.

Can they keep it up?

I do remember hearing that kimbo vs dada did around 1.2m need to go back and find the article/press conference.

Might be that coker meant that this was the second highest gate in California which would make sense(think dynamite one was the highest in Cali)

Their first Italy show did over a million I read but they did co promote with oktagon, so they surely split the earnings.

I do remember hearing that kimbo vs dada did around 1.2m need to go back and find the article/press conference.

Might be that coker meant that this was the second highest gate in California which would make sense(think dynamite one was the highest in Cali)

Their first Italy show did over a million I read but they did co promote with oktagon, so they surely split the earnings.

I dont believe any of those numbers especially overseas ones unless Coker himself says it and I dont recall them ever doing that. Unlike UFC which comes out and says we did this and this gate Bellator numbers come from commission cause they dont tend to ever tell anyone anything.

I dont believe any of those numbers especially overseas ones unless Coker himself says it and I dont recall them ever doing that. Unlike UFC which comes out and says we did this and this gate Bellator numbers come from commission cause they dont tend to ever tell anyone anything.
Not officially confirmed, so I just throw them out. Oktagon was the one that reported that gate. Could be bullshit for sure, or it could be 1m in Italian currency. Idk what that is though

They should come to Perth Australia, UFC just did a $3.6 million gate

This will always be the million dollar question with Bellator.

With Spike spending the money over the last 18 months or so to bring in bigger name talent they will eventually expect to get avg ratings up from where they were when they spent next to nothing. I don't think getting ratings 50K or 100K higher than the old avg. is what they would consider good business based on the money being spent.

I know it sounds like they been doing better with International TV deals. But I think the truth of that lies closer to the re branding to Paramount network much more so than Bellator.

P.S.: I'm not sure how much money they are burning through or if they are at all. If they can get over 400K in gate revenue, you combine maybe 200K-250K an event from Paramount for tent pole events, plus sponsorship money, they might not be bad off for a majority of the cards. Obviously some deal had to be worked out with Fedor outside of the norm operating money. But beyond that if they had at least 700K to work with per event they be doing just fine for a majority of the shows.

Last edited:
I went for free...Does anyone have comparible gate numbers for ufc 199? It was at the fourm too but I have a feeling bellator might be being more transparent.

The night produced some miraculous finishes and dominating performances for the 15,587 people in attendance. That sold-out crowd accounted for a live gate of $2,168,675.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-199-rockhold-vs-bisping-gate-and-attendance-from-los-angeles

Comparing it with UFC Fresno:
Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 123 event drew an announced attendance of 7,605 fans and a live gate of $568,290

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/12/ufc-fi...605-attendance-for-568290-live-gate-in-fresno

The night produced some miraculous finishes and dominating performances for the 15,587 people in attendance. That sold-out crowd accounted for a live gate of $2,168,675.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-199-rockhold-vs-bisping-gate-and-attendance-from-los-angeles

Comparing it with UFC Fresno:
Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 123 event drew an announced attendance of 7,605 fans and a live gate of $568,290

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/12/ufc-fi...605-attendance-for-568290-live-gate-in-fresno
I guess its worth keeping in consideration bellator tickets are much cheaper than UFC tickets. Average lower bowl ticket for the ufc is around 200-300$ for a ppv and up to 1000-2000 for floor seats. Bellator definately isnt getting that kind of money for their seats. Of the 4 bellator cards ive been to, I have never paid over 50 bucks for my tickets.

Back