Bellator 172 - Fedor vs Mitrione - San Jose

I know everyone is kinda saying this fight is a toss up etc. And no one wants to pay the juice on Matt.

Well right now Matt is -125 on 5d and once reduced juice comes out he will probably be around -120 or so. This isn't really juiced much at all and is close to a pick em.

In Matt's open work out interview he talked about not wanting to brawl and wanted to stay mobile and just touch up Fedor. I like hearing that and it also makes me wonder about betting Matt by decision. I think Fedor is still tough with an amazing chin. There were moments in that Fabio M fight that I amazed Fedor didn't go down and stay down. In short, Fedor has a chin and Matt has proposed a stick and move gaimeplan. I could easily see Matt getting a lopsided decision.

Overall I still think there is value on Matt at close to evens. The age is not too much of a factor as they are only 2 years apart but I just think Matt is the more modern MMA trained guy with better striking. Fedor represents that old school brawler kind of fighter.

2u Mitrione for me.

I know everyone is kinda saying this fight is a toss up etc. And no one wants to pay the juice on Matt.

Well right now Matt is -125 on 5d and once reduced juice comes out he will probably be around -120 or so. This isn't really juiced much at all and is close to a pick em.

In Matt's open work out interview he talked about not wanting to brawl and wanted to stay mobile and just touch up Fedor. I like hearing that and it also makes me wonder about betting Matt by decision. I think Fedor is still tough with an amazing chin. There were moments in that Fabio M fight that I amazed Fedor didn't go down and stay down. In short, Fedor has a chin and Matt has proposed a stick and move gaimeplan. I could easily see Matt getting a lopsided decision.

Overall I still think there is value on Matt at close to evens. The age is not too much of a factor as they are only 2 years apart but I just think Matt is the more modern MMA trained guy with better striking. Fedor represents that old school brawler kind of fighter.

2u Mitrione for me.

i don't agree w/the part i made red

I dont agree with the Mitrione statement but I do with the Fedor statement. Fedor has completly neglected his all round game with tight sambo/boxing in favor for the big swinging shots. Its like he's completely forgot what got him to the dance once he found out that his shots can KO big men. Ever since strikeforce imo. Also where did his ground game disappear to?

Last edited:
Kosh + Thomson? Need to watch tape on their opponents but seems reasonable albeit both are nearing 40 and Kos hasn't won a fight for 5 years albeit against elite comp.

Be careful with Kos.

It seems to be like his heart isnt in it with recent interviews and may look for a way out if he does get in deep trouble. He knows he's not gonna make waves in the division and he also has urged BJ to come over to face lower level competition. This is a fight he should win but the Alonso guy was a decent sized MW and Kos is chinny.

http://cagepages.com/2017/02/16/bellator-172-josh-koscheck-interview/
http://www.mmamania.com/2017/2/15/1...nn-should-join-bellator-wont-get-fed-to-lions

giphy.gif

The age is not too much of a factor as they are only 2 years apart but I just think Matt is the more modern MMA trained guy with better striking. Fedor represents that old school brawler kind of fighter.

2u Mitrione for me.
The 2 years apart doesn't really tell the whole story. Didn't realize Mitrione was already 38, but in terms of wear and tear Fedor has a lot of fights under his belt and has been fighting a long-ass time. It add ups considerably, not just physically, but mentally. Maybe he got stir-crazy when he retired or wanted a few easy pay days, but it's pretty clear it's been many, many years since he was that sharp and disciplined fighter that could pull out a victory in any situation. He's still tough as nails, and pretty fast for a HW though. I was really excited for his return, but in hindsight, I really wish he hadn't.

Patricky Freire +210
Josh Thomson -290

Over 2.5 -140
Under 2.5 +100

Oli Thompson +200
Cheick Kongo -280

Over 1.5 -135
Under 1.5 -105

Mauricio Alonso +190
Josh Koscheck -270

Over 2.5 -175
Under 2.5 +135

-------

i like pitbull and O2.5 here, (moreso the O2.5)

i also like O1.5 on kongo.. that's been such a cash cow (betting kongo overs)

omg that over 2.5 for Thomson fight is great. Also, I heavily lean Kongo dec and it looks like i'm likely to get a great price on that

k, i'm at

1u fedor +150

1u patricky +210
3.1u patricky-thomson O2.5 -155 (-140 and -170 each)

1.35u kongo -135

not touching kos fight

Remember that Mitrione is the "meathead" for a reason... his fight IQ is very low. Craftiness could be a huge factor in this fight. And I am positive Fedor would love this on the ground.

Also I think nearly getting KOed by Carl Sefuannana (or whatever) is worse than nearly getting KOed by Maldonado.
I think Mitrione gets up for this fight way more than he did for Sefuannana. even at age 42 ( of whatever Fedor is) Mitrione will other take him lightly. Also is Fedor fighting just for a paycheck? idk. Fedor hasn't looked good in 8-9 years and he's fighting someone that has fought some decent fighters over past 5 yrs.
I wouldn't pay huge juice, but at -125, I think he's the right play

1u on Oli just cuz I generally think Kongo is weak.

Bovoda has Patricio listed as fighting Thomson...I wish

Bovoda has Patricio listed as fighting Thomson...I wish

I hate it when that happens. I've been screwed playing a few lines like that over the years -- Ildemar Alcantara listed instead of Yuri, Sergio Moraes listed instead of Marlon and a few others.

I like Fedor in this spot. I know he isn't what he used to be, but stylistically he matches up very well with meathead. If I have time I do a stylistic breakdown of how they match up and how his striking can present me with a lot of problems. I actually believe that Fedor gets the KO here,

I know he's been more Fade-or than Fedor lately, but as a dog in this case I like him.

According to the Vivisection guys, Fedor only had a short three week camp and mostly did jogging and hitting pads. It is apparently the least prepared he's ever been and he didn't have his head coach either.

According to the Vivisection guys, Fedor only had a short three week camp and mostly did jogging and hitting pads. It is apparently the least prepared he's ever been and he didn't have his head coach either.

Wonder how they know that (in the middle of listening to whole thing right now so if there is further context wont get to it for another 15 min), but if true thats a huge confidence increase Mitrione

Back