Bellator 155 does 653k

And Kimbos next fight is in London so no prime time slot in the US so no 1 million viewers.

Oh and that event in the o2 arena

https://tickets.axs.com/eventShopperV3UK.html?wr=GEN-ac2f-4fe4-a860-9e0f975e8a37&addData=LON&preFill=1&lang=en&locale=en_gb&eventid=309611&ec=O2L160716BLE&src=AEGAXS1_WMAIN&skin=theo2&fbShareURL=www.axs.com/uk/events/309611/bellator-mma-tickets?&ref=evs_fb

isn't selling well. Again another stupid decision by Bellator to book the largest arena in a country where they have virtually no brand recognition. Its not like Italy where there is no high standard for what is considered a great MMA event. We have UFC events, Cage Warriors, Bamma and recently KSW so our standards are much higher.

As consolation from America you guys get to keep Kimbo.

I am fairly confident that the rampage card will be able to crack a million easily... not only that, with mittrione, and chandler on the card, the gate will probably also be soild.

One thing that people tend to overlook, but should be taken into consideration, is the fact that spike is in about 9m less homes now than was the case in the past. they are still in plenty of home, but those 9m is definitely hampering them.

if we were to add 9% to the non tentpoles, the ratings would get quite a jump. now im sure that isnt how ratings work, but its food for thought. something that should definitely taken into consideration.

also, live attendance as looked much much better under coker...

Id like to know more about why comcast dropped spike from their basic package.. does anyone have any cliff notes? any idea why?

I think what Comcast did was put a cheaper basic package together. This is more or less for the people who don't watch much TV. Second tier which I'm willing to bet a large majority of their clients buy is what Spike is on now. This second tier also includes popular channels like ESPN, TBS, and Nicklodean for example. So I believe the people who watch Bellator/sports chances are quite high they already have the second tier package and it isn't really hurting Bellator ratings not to mention the second tier package isn't much to add. If it is hurting ratings its minimal at best.

I think what Comcast did was put a cheaper basic package together. This is more or less for the people who don't watch much TV. Second tier which I'm willing to bet a large majority of their clients buy is what Spike is on now. This second tier also includes popular channels like ESPN, TBS, and Nicklodean for example. So I believe the people who watch Bellator/sports chances are quite high they already have the second tier package and it isn't really hurting Bellator ratings not to mention the second tier package isn't much to add. If it is hurting ratings its minimal at best.
Thanks for the info,

At the end of the day tho, being in less homes can only hamper ratings..... And most of what you are saying is speculation. I'd like to see spike go back to the most basic channel to see if there are any ratings bumps. I'd be willing to bet there would be.

It is worse than that. It is 3rd tier. ESPN 1 and 2 and FS1 are all 2nd tier. Which is why last week I said I think more households have FS1 than Spike and that Spike is "available" in more homes is just semantics. Because im spending an extra ten for basically just Spike and the SEC network and a few garbage channels I wont watch.Screenshot_2016-05-24-15-23-05.png

Screenshot_2016-05-24-15-33-30.png

Last edited:
Low ratings, cutting best fighters, promoting freakshow fights and now I just heard on MMA hour that Emil weber meek had calls from UFC,WSOF and ONE FC after his win against Paul Harris but nothing from Bellator, like wtf. Get your shit together Scott.
he isn't far enough past his prime to meet their criteria

They should hope no one saw that BS event. I like Bellator, but that was just aweful in so many ways.

It is worse than that. It is 3rd tier. ESPN 1 and 2 and FS1 are all 2nd tier. Which is why last week I said I think more households have FS1 than Spike and that Spike is "available" in more homes is just semantics. Because im spending an extra ten for basically just Spike and the SEC network and a few garbage channels I wont watch.View attachment 100521

View attachment 100527

I was trying to find that listing but couldn't so I just figured it was the next tier.

Seems obvious Comcast looks at tier three as a male driven tier since many channels are sports related or channels that have a high number males watching.

I guess for me the extra 10 bucks would be well worth it for AXS, SPIKE, and the NFL Network. Most companies do put those channels on higher tier but I've never seen SPIKE on one before(usually its included in the next package up from the basic). I can't imagine Viacom is very happy about SPIKE being there.

Maybe effects the ratings slightly but I doubt by much. I think most of the male viewers that use Comcast probably pay the surcharge already so they can get all the sports channels.

Yeah, because UFC counter programmed it. Dana's scared so he's counter programming all of Bellator's stuff. The SEC reallly needs to look into this for non-competitve business practices.

Yeah, because UFC counter programmed it. Dana's scared so he's counter programming all of Bellator's stuff. The SEC reallly needs to look into this for non-competitve business practices.

Everybody counter programs everyone. It's what TV has been doing for decades.

2h2 hours ago
Jason Floyd ‏@Jason_Floyd
Per Spike, Bellator 155 averaged 715k viewers and peaked at 916k in +3 DVR ratings. Carvalho vs Manhoef fight averaged 812k viewers

2h2 hours ago
Jason Floyd ‏@Jason_Floyd
Per Spike, Bellator 155 averaged 715k viewers and peaked at 916k in +3 DVR ratings. Carvalho vs Manhoef fight averaged 812k viewers

715k isn't too bad for the show assuming that is the correct number instead of 653k initially reported.

715k isn't too bad for the show assuming that is the correct number instead of 653k initially reported.
That 715k is +3 which includes dvr and all that other stuff.

On one hand, it's a decent number. On the other, it was a crap main event.

The advertisers also looking at keywords like being the second most watch sports event/show of the night.

FYI, according to the latest Nielsen cable network coverage survey (June 2016), Spike is down to 87.7 million subscribers. They had 91 million at the beginning of the year, so the decrease is probably mostly due to Comcast's removal of Spike from the basic tier.

In comparison, Spike had 97.6 million subscribers during the Bjorn era.

June 2016:

http://sportstvratings.com/how-many...nd-nbc-sports-network-june-2016-edition/5087/

January 2016:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/co...sehold-universe-estimates-january-2016/153590

August 2013:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...network-coverage-estimates-as-of-august-2013/

FYI, according to the latest Nielsen cable network coverage survey (June 2016), Spike is down to 87.7 million subscribers. They had 91 million at the beginning of the year, so the decrease is probably mostly due to Comcast's removal of Spike from the basic tier.

In comparison, Spike had 97.6 million subscribers during the Bjorn era.

June 2016:

http://sportstvratings.com/how-many...nd-nbc-sports-network-june-2016-edition/5087/

January 2016:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/co...sehold-universe-estimates-january-2016/153590

August 2013:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...network-coverage-estimates-as-of-august-2013/

Thanks for the info. Anyone know the politics behind this? is it just because Comcast wanted to do this?

That could really be hampering bellator ratings

Thanks for the info. Anyone know the politics behind this? is it just because Comcast wanted to do this?

That could really be hampering bellator ratings

It's not just a Comcast/Vicaom thing, it's an industry-wide thing. All cable networks are slowly losing subscribers, due to cable/satellite providers getting squeezed by shrinking TV subscriber counts, which is forcing the providers to put a cap on the cost of programming, which, until recently, didn't seem to have a ceiling. So they are dropping channels, or moving them to higher priced tiers, all to avoid raising their price of the most popular programming packages. The cable networks kept charging the providers more for their channels, and forced them to carry all their channels, and the providers passed the costs onto the consumer, who grumbled, but kept paying increasingly more for bloated packages that forced them to subscribe to a multitude of channels that they had no interest in, just to receive the channels that they were interested in.

But now there are alternatives and the cable networks can't force providers to keep paying their accustomed price increases and can't force providers to carry all their channels on the most popular tiers. More people are now "cutting the cord" and just subscribing to streaming services like Netflix, etc., and that is changing the business model of the entire cable television industry. Companies like Viacom and Disney earned windfall profits by forcing providers to carry all of their networks, and substantially increasing the price of their networks to the providers every few years. They are now meeting stiff resistance from the providers, and that is reflected in the falling subscribers counts for Spike and just about every major network, even Disney-owned ESPN. which has fallen from 97.7 million in 2013 to 89.5 million today.

It's not just a Comcast/Vicaom thing, it's an industry-wide thing. All cable networks are slowly losing subscribers, due to cable/satellite providers getting squeezed by shrinking TV subscriber counts, which is forcing the providers to put a cap on the cost of programming, which, until recently, didn't seem to have a ceiling. So they are dropping channels, or moving them to higher priced tiers, all to avoid raising their price of the most popular programming packages. The cable networks kept charging the providers more for their channels, and forced them to carry all their channels, and the providers passed the costs onto the consumer, who grumbled, but kept paying increasingly more for bloated packages that forced them to subscribe to a multitude of channels that they had no interest in, just to receive the channels that they were interested in.

But now there are alternatives and the cable networks can't force providers to keep paying their accustomed price increases and can't force providers to carry all their channels on the most popular tiers. More people are now "cutting the cord" and just subscribing to streaming services like Netflix, etc., and that is changing the business model of the entire cable television industry. Companies like Viacom and Disney earned windfall profits by forcing providers to carry all of their networks, and substantially increasing the price of their networks to the providers every few years. They are now meeting stiff resistance from the providers, and that is reflected in the falling subscribers counts for Spike and just about every major network, even Disney-owned ESPN. which has fallen from 97.7 million in 2013 to 89.5 million today.

This is a 100% correct.

To add to it this is why the industry is keeping such a close eye WWE Network. It's why MLB offers internet based way to watch every game. NFL playing around with games on the web. When you have a following you got companies trying more or less on how to cut the middle man(cable companies) out and keep more money. Childern today watch way less tradtional TV than the last couple generations. They watch web based media more so. It's why Netflix and Amazon prime is popular and the rest of them. I think in the next decade or so you'll see traditonal TV Channels slowly disappear. You'll buy into services that give you access to content. You won't have 200+ traditional channels. You'll be buying individual content or packages of content that contain many shows. Now long term will this save money, chances are no or very little but at the same time you'll pay for only what you want.

Now long term will this save money, chances are no or very little but at the same time you'll pay for only what you want.

It sounds good on paper but I can't help but think of all the lack of show funding that will hurt the quality of production and casting.

Some of my favorite shows like The Grinder and Arrested Development are deemed too expensive for regular television so I can't see them even existing 10 years down the road.

I got no idea what Scott is doing over in Bellator but as the fight promotion closest in competition to the UFC all of a sudden they've taken hard left towards WWE and all out joke promotion. Kimbo Slice/Dada 5000 should've taken place in someones backyard after the bbq pit is removed, not the main event on TV for all to see especially those who already on the fence about mma.
The Carvalho/Manhoef was just sad to watch two professional fighters looking like they were forced to be there, I've witnessed harder sparring sessions at my own club than this televised crap. Bellator seems intent on sabotaging mma from the inside shit main cards ousting & stripping belt holders people talk about the UFC maybe being for sale Bellator needz to go on the chopping block before they single handily kill mma fan interest.
Cant blame scott for everything.. the fans also to blame. Kimbo slice creates big rating for bellator therefore scott has to put kimbo on big main events.

Back