Being "liberal"... what's it REALLY mean now a days?

Democrats used to be the party of big government and reckless entitlements. The GOP used to be about smaller government and pro business to grow the environment.

At some point it transitioned into both parties being about big government, entitlements for their friends, and then a big argument over who gets to decide who/what is "American".

There are no liberals/conservatives in the sense from the 80's and 90's. Now it's all culture debates - Can [blacks/women/gays/Muslims/whites/men/heterosexuals] decide that they are true Americans or do they need the permission of the other groups to do so?

I think you just married a chick that's obsessed with race and she kind of brainwashed you man.

I see the framing that way, but I don't think it's describing real preference differences in a useful way. If conservatives were pro-BLM, anti-IP, anti-drug, for less-restrictive immigration policy, etc., they could plausibly be described as supporting "small gov't" on principle, and it would make sense (though there would still be issues, IMO). But given that they're on the "big gov't" side of all of those issues, it sounds like opposition to opportunity-enhancing policy and consumer/worker/environmental protection is just euphemistically described as "small gov't" principles because it polls better.

See above.

Well, what we see is conservatives express devotion to real-world authority and willingness to rebel against hypothetical and impossible authority.

Again, I disagree. Corporations are collectives. I really think the authority vs. anarchy fears are the best descriptor.

Wait. You actually think BLM is a real thing?

Its absolutely reality. Your denying it based on your own personal beliefs does not change reality. You can claim that the earth is flat, but that does not make it true.
I said liberal = Globalism, communism, anti US Constitution, and being anti Trump
The actual liberal Democratic agenda & platform:
Tear down national borders (globalism)
Destroy the 2nd Amendment (anti US Constitution)
Silence opposition voices and undermine the 1st Amendment (anti US Constitution)
Tow the line of globalist Operation Mockingbird state run media (globalism & anti US Constitution)
Grow the welfare state though migration, immigration, and free trade policies (communism & globalism)
Have no ideas nor answers to any issues and just oppose Trump (anti Trump)

Its a disgrace that one of the USA's two major political parties puts forth such an anti-American platform such as this. I'm not sure how one single US citizen could give them one single vote while supporting such garbage ideals. #walkaway

You are emotional aren't you?

Has he put you on ignore yet? It's not complete domination until that happens!

I don't know what his problem is. He refuses to accept that he was wrong. It's not really a big deal, but it's just kind of frustrating. He might as well be arguing that 2+2=5.

I think you just married a chick that's obsessed with race and she kind of brainwashed you man.

Cute but no. My wife comes from a place where pretty much everyone is Indian. Race isn't a conversation she grew up concerned. But this is a new direction so I'll explore it. Brainwashed me into thinking what?

There is no such thing as a uniform "liberal" or "conservative" at all. Those two terms are basically used to describe the entire population of the United States. There are not only two groups of people with only two distinct sets of thoughts.

Most people fall somewhere between the far left and far right. But for some reason, political discourse in recent years has mostly ignored everything in between and created two extreme parties that think they are supposed to hate each other and assume the worst about each other.

A lot of people don't even read articles on here anymore. They skim the OP just well enough to identify their tribe, and then post from that perspective without giving it a second thought.
Idk I think there is an overwhelming number of far left radicals. Maybe it just seems that way because they’re so adamant about making their opinions known. The media is playing a major role in that as well. They play off of people’s emotions now days rather than reporting factual news. It has become blatantly obvious how bias the media is as a whole. Unfortunately all of us fall victim to it from time to time.

Idk I think there is an overwhelming number of far left radicals. Maybe it just seems that way because they’re so adamant about making their opinions known. The media is playing a major role in that as well. They play off of people’s emotions now days rather than reporting factual news. It has become blatantly obvious how bias the media is as a whole. Unfortunately all of us fall victim to it from time to time.

What do you consider a far left radical?

Cute but no. My wife comes from a place where pretty much everyone is Indian. Race isn't a conversation she grew up concerned. But this is a new direction so I'll explore it. Brainwashed me into thinking what?

That was a pretty trashy post that you responded to in a very dignified way.

The problem is the far left gives regular liberals a bad name the same way the far right gives regular conservatives a bad name.

Personally I can't stand either.

I think being a liberal today means you don’t want to suck Putin’s dick

Just doesn't seem like a normal thing for a man to suddenly become obsessed with in what, his 30s? I dunno, maybe you're just a weird dude.

I think being a liberal today means you don’t want to suck Putin’s dick

There are tons of conservatives right now who are absolutely pissed and very concerned about Trump's behavior regarding Putin. Trump is dragging some hardcore supporters through the mud with him, but there are many more principled conservatives who are completely against him on this. They just aren't on this forum.

Just doesn't seem like a normal thing for a man to suddenly become obsessed with in what, his 30s? I dunno, maybe you're just a weird dude.
Obsessed with what?

Contradicting racial stereotypes with information indicating that the stereotypes are not accurate reflections of reality. That's not something I started doing in my 30s. But I guess if that's an "obsession", there are worse things to be obsessed with.

Obsessed with what?

Contradicting racial stereotypes with information indicating that the stereotypes are not accurate reflections of reality. That's not something I started doing in my 30s. But I guess if that's an "obsession", there are worse things to be obsessed with.

Well above you basically boiled down the entire distinction between the two parties to race issues. For someone who appears to have once had some kind of grasp of politics, it does come off as a little strange and misguided.

Well above you basically boiled down the entire distinction between the two parties to race issues. For someone who appears to have once had some kind of grasp of politics, it does come off as a little strange and misguided.

No, I didn't. If that's what you took from a post that was primarily about entitlements, size of government and who gets to define who then that's your obsession showing. I mentioned race, gender, sexual orientation and religion. If race is the only thing you noticed, well...

Go back, re-read my post on the first page. Notice all of the things that you ignored so that you could fixate on race.

What do you consider a far left radical?
Well this might not be the best example but a guy I know that I would consider far left is a guy who volunteered to help do home improvements for poor people. He went to the city to work on a house. He was working on the house all by himself while a group of guys there sat around playing cards, drinking beer & smoking weed the whole time. He truly thought there was nothing wrong with these guys doing that while he busted his ass to help them. He thought these people were less fortunate & needed help. What he did was nice, but those aren’t the kind of people in need of help. I’ve told that story on here & people actually defended the guys playing cards, drinking beer & smoking weed. That’s far left imo.

Also I would say anyone who thinks all guns should be taken away is a radical liberal. And the people who protest cop shootings when the suspect was obviously armed. Those people are nuts. They don’t say a word when a kid gets shot in a drive by shooting yet throw a fit anytime a black person gets killed by a white person.

I could give more examples, but I’m at work.

This thread in visual form.
W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzL2NjNjgyZDg2M2ZhMjkyMjZmMF94X2FmN2JhNTRhWzFdLmpwZyJdLFsicCIsInRodW1iIiwieDM5MD4iXSxbInAiLCJjb252ZXJ0IiwiLXF1YWxpdHkgODEgLWF1dG8tb3JpZW50Il1d

I mentioned race, gender, sexual orientation and religion. If race is the only thing you noticed, well..

Now it's all culture debates - Can [blacks/women/gays/Muslims/whites/men/heterosexuals] decide that they are true Americans or do they need the permission of the other groups to do so?

So identity politics then.

Either way, that's shows a woefully incomplete understanding of what's actually going on in American politics. You're watching a magician and getting caught up in the misdirection.

I don't think the democratic party really has any direction anymore. I couldn't tell you what they stand for today, other than promoting victim culture.

You are emotional aren't you?
My family has lost life and limb for generations defending the US Constitution and the freedoms it guarantees. My eldest son left this week for basic training continuing this tradition. Your god damn right I'm emotional when I see a US political party attempting to destroy American culture, American values, American borders and everything the Constitution and US flag stands for and replace it with a globalist one world oppressive government. You should be emotional too. Instead your probably just another communist going to claim that I'm a Russian.

Back