Being "liberal"... what's it REALLY mean now a days?

IGotAHugePeckah

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Obviously it's drifted very far from classical liberal.

When I was a teenager (2000s), it was the Conservatives who were the bullies. They were shutting people down, censoring language, ruining the careers of those who dare speak ill of George Dubya (Dixie Chicks), etc. They were the ones enacting violence on fellow citizens.

Now it seems the shoe is on the other foot. As I stand here in my early 30s, all I see is liberals trying to censor and shut down free speech. I see liberals trying to ruin careers over language and differing beliefs. And I see far left groups like Antifa going out and sucker punching peaceful citizens on account of who they voted for and support.

When I was a teenager and early 20s I was a proud liberal. Liberals were the ones who encouraged debate and spoke truth that was unpopular but needed to be said. Now if you speak that same truth, it's liberals who slip the noose around your neck.

What happened to liberals, and what does it mean to be a Liberal/progressive now a days?

There is no such thing as a uniform "liberal" or "conservative" at all. Those two terms are basically used to describe the entire population of the United States. There are not only two groups of people with only two distinct sets of thoughts.

Most people fall somewhere between the far left and far right. But for some reason, political discourse in recent years has mostly ignored everything in between and created two extreme parties that think they are supposed to hate each other and assume the worst about each other.

A lot of people don't even read articles on here anymore. They skim the OP just well enough to identify their tribe, and then post from that perspective without giving it a second thought.

To the tune of, "Ain't No Half Steppin'" by Big Daddy Kane

I didn't read nothin'...

most americans are somewhere in between. the far left and far right are in the minority but they have the biggest mouth

Anyone that disagrees with Trump is now a liberal

Obviously it's drifted very far from classical liberal.

When I was a teenager (2000s), it was the Conservatives who were the bullies. They were shutting people down, censoring language, ruining the careers of those who dare speak ill of George Dubya (Dixie Chicks), etc. They were the ones enacting violence on fellow citizens.

Now it seems the shoe is on the other foot. As I stand here in my early 30s, all I see is liberals trying to censor and shut down free speech. I see liberals trying to ruin careers over language and differing beliefs. And I see far left groups like Antifa going out and sucker punching peaceful citizens on account of who they voted for and support.

When I was a teenager and early 20s I was a proud liberal. Liberals were the ones who encouraged debate and spoke truth that was unpopular but needed to be said. Now if you speak that same truth, it's liberals who slip the noose around your neck.

What happened to liberals, and what does it mean to be a Liberal/progressive now a days?

Fringe groups like Antifa, 3rd wave feminists, over the top LGBQ rights, and people from BLM interrupting speakers is what is giving the left a bad name. The internet and social media is also giving them a much larger voice than what they actually have.

Most left leaning people aren't extremists like the groups I listed above, which is why they are bad for their respected party. This is why you saw people that are pro choice, pro gay rights, and pro social service programs voting for Trump last election.

People don't like to be called something they're not, or be held accountable for something they didn't do by people that are trying to claim something that they never experienced.

Last edited:
Someone who loves jacking off criminals and terrorists.

We need to stop with the labels. Everybody I ever meet is a mix of liberal and conservative views, until they label themselves then they slowly get indocrinated into group think.

Democrats used to be the party of big government and reckless entitlements. The GOP used to be about smaller government and pro business to grow the environment.

At some point it transitioned into both parties being about big government, entitlements for their friends, and then a big argument over who gets to decide who/what is "American".

There are no liberals/conservatives in the sense from the 80's and 90's. Now it's all culture debates - Can [blacks/women/gays/Muslims/whites/men/heterosexuals] decide that they are true Americans or do they need the permission of the other groups to do so?

Fringe groups like Antifa, 3rd wave feminists, over the top LGBQ rights, and people from BLM interrupting speakers is what is giving the left a bad name. The internet and social media is also giving them a much larger voice than what they actually have.

Most left leaning people aren't as extreme as the groups I listed above, which is why they are bad for their respected party. This is why you saw people that are pro choice, pro abortion, and pro social service programs voting for Trump last election.

People don't like to be called something they're not, or be held accountable for something they didn't do by people that are trying to claim something that they never experienced.

This is a good message to both parties.

Most left leaning people aren't as extreme as the groups I listed above, which is why they are bad for their respected party. This is why you saw people that are pro choice, pro abortion, and pro social service programs voting for Trump last election.

I understand what's in green.

I cannot fathom it leading to what is in red.

I'm liberal. I get annoyed at fringe elements of the left... I even find them repugnant at times. But because of that I am supposed to vote for a sociopathic, lifelong con artist who has no regard for the environment, workers' rights, or consumer protections?

I just don't see how that's even a remotely justifiable explanation.

Shut up you alt right, conservative, liberal, cuck, snow flake, neo nazi, communists, boot licking , antifa, trannie, Klansman.

Really, to be a "liberal" today means supporting opportunity for people all over the economic spectrum; healthcare availability for everyone; full participation in civic society and equal protection under the law for people regardless of ethnicity, religion, or sexuality; and strong public-goods provision, paid for with progressive taxation. There's a lot of differences within people who are liberal and that doesn't really get deep into the ideology, but that sums it up.

I understand what's in green.

I cannot fathom it leading to what is in red.

I'm liberal. I get annoyed at fringe elements of the left... I even find them repugnant at times. But because of that I am supposed to vote for a sociopathic, lifelong con artist who has no regard for the environment, workers' rights, or consumer protections?

I just don't see how that's even a remotely justifiable explanation.

It is not 100% of the reason but you take those elements, the leaked e-mails, and mix it with the Clinton foundation it lead to center-left leaning people voting for Trump.

Anyone who approves this video :confused:

Back