behavioral sink, rodent experiments and the downfall of man

Yeah, I've run in that very attitude. I've put in my fair share of 60 hour weeks, but not in recent years, and I'm much happier.

I can't claim to be above it. Almost everyone I know is a business professional and so we're all kind of gauging each other. It's rude to talk money. It's rude to compare kids. All we have left is who works longer. If I work longer, it's because they pay me more to be there. If I work longer, it's because I'm probably smarter than you and so my kid is probably smarter than yours too.

The only upside is that when I don't want to go somewhere, "I'm working" lets me stay home and still implies social importance, lol.

Another element of this is that we used to measure status by how much leisure time people had and now leisure has become a symbol of indolence.

I can't claim to be above it. Almost everyone I know is a business professional and so we're all kind of gauging each other. It's rude to talk money. It's rude to compare kids. All we have left is who works longer. If I work longer, it's because they pay me more to be there. If I work longer, it's because I'm probably smarter than you and so my kid is probably smarter than yours too.

The only upside is that when I don't want to go somewhere, "I'm working" lets me stay home and still implies social importance, lol.

Another element of this is that we used to measure status by how much leisure time people had and now leisure has become a symbol of indolence.
Lol. I'm not above it. I'm out of it. I quit my job and have been a stay at home mom for a few years now.

Lol. I'm not above it. I'm out of it. I quit my job and have been a stay at home mom for a few years now.

Very nice. Are your kids pre/post the preschool age? My wife and I split time staying at home since we're both self-employed.

Yes, I've heard of it when I was still studying Psychology. I compared it to human. It made sense. I can see it happening now. Beautiful ones, poor violent ones. You reach a tipping point, then you dwindle back down. That's how nature works. As for whether that species can recover or not will depend on Darwinism.

The beautiful ones are like the rich people. We see celebrities and rich people breeding later and later or not at all. While the poor is breeding like mad. Population is increasing year after year. Studies are saying we will run out of resources soon. Pork will see a huge spike in a few decades. We are hitting the path of universe 25. But I think we can recover from it.

Crazy thing about universe 25 is that it was suppose to be a paradise with unlimited food and supply. He did this multiple times. And each times the outcome was the same. Overpopulation to extinction. He blamed it on social decay. We are seeing that now. Even though our population has increased, our interaction with one another dropped. Most Millennials are introverts. Outside of social media, they do little to no interaction. When was the last time you talked to a stranger?

The anti-social behavior is passed on from one generation to another. We can see that happening now. Certain folks are passing on their hatred, and victim mentality on to their kids even though their kids are a victim of nothing.

It will be interesting to see where we will be at in the future. That's why NASA is looking for space exploration cuz they know Earth is running out of space and resources.

On the wiki page it stated that in that environment all the social positions are filled, the females become more aggressive. The few alpha males can't maintain their status for they are out-numbered. The other male mice no longer fight, become passive and focus on self-grooming.

I don't want to pick Japan but I clearly see this in their androgynous guys and in the passive nothingness of the Hikikomori.
Hikikomori.jpg

Damn that is a crazy read. I believe it will ultimately be inevitable for human society as well.

The limits of human capacity for adapting to unnatural environments can be fixed

More anti-depressants is the key!

That explains why Chicago is the way it is. And every other big liberal city.

Damn, that's scary. I know people have made the point that we shouldn't read into this too much or draw parallels from it, but I definitely see aspects that mirror what is going on in the human civilization. Loss of purpose, decrease in birthrates, over indulgence, abandonment of responsibility, failure to turn things around. All of those characteristics aren't universally manifesting across all of civilisation, there's some here some there, but think about the trends overall, and where those trends could lead.

Maybe he should have offered the mice a much bigger universe, wifi, and abortion clinics.

Were the mice different colors?

Huge fan of his research. He, E.O. Wilson, Galton, were all a big influence on my world views.

really explains how male sjw's came into being
Is there a connection to LA and New York City voting results? Is that what your saying? Interesting that self reliant non city folk voted the way they did.

crowded & impersonal ---those that are social only via forums experience this online as well.

Very interesting, indeed.

Was going to make a new thread on Calhoun's experiments but decided to search & bump first.

Why you necro this?

Interesting, and I will have to delve into this more later on. One thing that stuck out is in the beginning where it talks about there being "more mice than social roles." I think this is obviously reflecting in humanity when you have self-hating groups of virtue signalers begging for attention, trying to carve out a "social role" for their lack of one, and also a "victim culture." This is not a standard archetype or a successful one; it's a counter culture for a lack of a real one.

Back