Beginning boxing with medical issue

The Colonel

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So I recently got a blood clot in my leg, have been started on blood thinning medications, and have basically had to quit, at least for the next several months, Brazilian jiu-jitsu which I have done for years. All I can think is that I got a blood clot because I have a job where I basically sit for 10 hours or more at a time.

It really sucks. Thankfully I train near American Top Team (the main gym) and they have a boxing program that I have always wanted to join and learn.

I know sparring is out of the question, but I'd like to be able to go in, hit the heavy bag, learn how to punch properly, work on foot work, shadow box, hit pads, things like that. Things that aren't going to involve me getting punched, as ridiculous as that sounds.

Would it freak out the coach to teach me? I'll be totally up front with him with what I have going on. I've got to do something to stay active, it's killing me, and I've always wanted to learn some boxing. Thank you for any advice.

I'd check with the doc to make sure you're good to go. But I don't see a big problem if you tell them you want to hit pads and the bag, basic workouts, etc.

Been awhile since I've ever been in any sort of boxing gym, but I'd actually go so far as to say it's not unusual for people taking up boxing w/o wanting to actually box, if that makes sense.

My brother goes to gym out in Arizona and I'm pretty sure he just works the pads and the bag, for the most part. As long as you're paying them I don't see any problem with getting trained sans sparring. I also know of a couple older dudes who just joined gyms to get in shape and don't want to get hit in the face. That doesn't seem too uncommon to me.

Make sure they're giving you everything as an option though. Great thing about boxing is there's so much you can do to prep for a fistfight and not actually have to be in one. Get ready to skip rope a ton. GL.

That's good advice don't start until you speak to a doctor first. Are you taking any medication?

It sounds like you'd be able to do everything except spar. Many people go to boxing gyms and have no intention of ever sparring, that's totally normal. If boxing gyms turned away those folk then a lot of them wouldn't be able to stay in business. I'm sure it's the same for MMA gyms. Most people who go to those places never compete and plenty never spar.

Would you be able to body-spar? And just have you and your opponent sparring with punches to the body? As cuts normally happen on the face and that's where the bleeding is.

It sounds like you'd be able to do everything except spar. Many people go to boxing gyms and have no intention of ever sparring, that's totally normal. If boxing gyms turned away those folk then a lot of them wouldn't be able to stay in business. I'm sure it's the same for MMA gyms. Most people who go to those places never compete and plenty never spar.

Would you be able to body-spar? And just have you and your opponent sparring with punches to the body? As cuts normally happen on the face and that's where the bleeding is.

Bleeding risk to internal organs from bruising, swelling, etc.

Outside of sparring, you should be fine.

Back