Beginners (noobs) Questions - V.4

What about the side lat sweep to make the bitches weep?
Damn I forgot about that, my game's been off:
  • A wide back with trim obliques, will get the freaks in de sheetz
  • If your lats are thick n' wide, you'll have a bad bitch on each side
  • Get a good squeeze to keep sluts on they knees

Is it worth doing, or do I need a bench for best results?
Honestly, I don't bench right now. of course it's not particularly relevant to my goals, I've been working push press and dumbell overhead press as my primary pressing movements, and i'm not sure I've suffered for it. if you don't have a bench, consider dips instead (weighted is good).

Someday I'll likely return to benching if not Just as an assistance exercise, but im not sure it's super relevant to throwing things.

I'm 511 and my weight hovers right around 220. I'm.not particularly fat but i got some titties and have since I was a kid. Best advice for getting rid of manboobs?

(Completely serious)

I'm 511 and my weight hovers right around 220. I'm.not particularly fat but i got some titties and have since I was a kid. Best advice for getting rid of manboobs?

(Completely serious)
Lose some weiight, find your total daily calories (TDEE), here's an online calculator
http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

and work from there

Now if you're quit fit, and have low bodyfat, you can add more incline pressing work. If all you've been doing is flat bench (with its DB variations) and lower chest (dips, decline) it might make things look bad with your upper chest lacking.

very simple question, should probably know the answer: When you are performing a kettlebell clean (or any clean for that matter) do you use your arms at all or does all the force come from your legs?

Can someone tell me how barbell hip thrusts would factor into grappling?

Hi guys,
I am new to the forum.
I am a teen female boxer who has been training for about 1 year and has been doing muay thai two years before that. I was extremely underweight many months ago and gained about 12 kilos in a short amount of time with medical help. Now i weigh about 51kg at 5’5. I want to bulk up to about 54kg and get stronger since i lost much of my strength along with weight. How should i do this with boxing training? If i just train boxing (pushups/heavy bag/running/hill sprints) will it be enough to build muscle without excess fat or do i need to do heavy weightlifting too? Just worried if i will have enough time to do both... i am eating in about a 400 cal surplus.

Hi guys,
I am new to the forum.
I am a teen female boxer who has been training for about 1 year and has been doing muay thai two years before that. I was extremely underweight many months ago and gained about 12 kilos in a short amount of time with medical help. Now i weigh about 51kg at 5’5. I want to bulk up to about 54kg and get stronger since i lost much of my strength along with weight. How should i do this with boxing training? If i just train boxing (pushups/heavy bag/running/hill sprints) will it be enough to build muscle without excess fat or do i need to do heavy weightlifting too? Just worried if i will have enough time to do both... i am eating in about a 400 cal surplus.

If you're a teen, just focus on the training, some supplemental strength work, and eating plenty. Muscle is slow to build and takes a while, especially if you're also training to fight at the same time. Keep working, eating, and you'll slowly accumulate more muscle and strength. It's not a process that needs rushed.

So I have experience working out but I, as a classic hardgainer, never got jacked from it. I plan to get jacked once this pandemic is over (but not as high priority as moving up the career ladder).

Is there a way to develop really meaty thighs and claves without lifting anything way more than your bodyweight? Not sure if this can be a motivation but RKO goes lower weight and higher reps with tourniquet training as well.

So I have experience working out but I, as a classic hardgainer, never got jacked from it. I plan to get jacked once this pandemic is over (but not as high priority as moving up the career ladder).

Is there a way to develop really meaty thighs and claves without lifting anything way more than your bodyweight? Not sure if this can be a motivation but RKO goes lower weight and higher reps with tourniquet training as well.
How much do you weigh?
Other than maybe hormone issues, most people who think they're "hardgainers" are just under eaters. Continue to add food until you gain weight.

How much do you weigh?
Other than maybe hormone issues, most people who think they're "hardgainers" are just under eaters. Continue to add food until you gain weight.

Around/under 150 lbs.

That may be the case, but I also think my approach was wrong from the beginning. I am thinking I should hire a coach, but also do the tourniquet stuff as opposed to just trying to lift the heaviest I can.

Last edited:
Around/under 150 lbs.

That may be the case, but I also think my approach was wrong from the beginning. I am thinking I should hire a coach, but also do the tourniquet stuff as opposed to just trying to lift the heaviest I can.
Lifting heavy and eating enough is all you need.
If you want to try a different approach, go ahead but don't expect better results.

(Completely serious)
If you have gyno your only option will be surgery.

Do you guys have any good recommendations for good flexibility, mobility, or injury recovery videos?
For example, one that was super helpful was Joe Defranco's Limber 11 which I found here.
I've also used some shoulder mobility stuff from Allan Thrall, and some general stuff from Athlean-X.

These have all been helpful, but I know from this forum and others there's lots of BS out there. Anyone have and links, or names that you like, or people I should avoid?

I'm in my early 40's, desk job, and have many residual injuries from when I was more active but stupid.
My current goals:
  • Increase general strength and flexibility for injury prevention.
  • I play Volleyball, basketball, and mountain bike. I've been out of the loop with lockdown and work, want to be able to jump back in without pulling or inflaming anything.
  • General cardio for health.
Here's a list of my current issue areas:
  • Rotator cuff pain. (This is pretty bad and keeps me from doing much in any of the presses)
  • Tight lower back.
  • Hip pain (piriformis) (Limber 11 is great for this!)
  • Oversuppination (results in frequent ankle sprains)
  • Posterior tibialis pain.

Just a heads up the links in the OP are broken

Okay, here goes.

44 years old 180 lbs. Going to the gym 3-5 nights a week for the last 3 months. Work at a home improvement store as the flooring manager, so I get to put away many heavier things on the shelves all day long so I am not without some muscle but I've got some extra pounds. I want to gain muscle and shed my extra weight. Would it make more sense to concentrate more on the weight lose and tone or try to build muscle to start with?

Okay, here goes.

44 years old 180 lbs. Going to the gym 3-5 nights a week for the last 3 months. Work at a home improvement store as the flooring manager, so I get to put away many heavier things on the shelves all day long so I am not without some muscle but I've got some extra pounds. I want to gain muscle and shed my extra weight. Would it make more sense to concentrate more on the weight lose and tone or try to build muscle to start with?

Are there any bad diet habits you can eliminate? That's probably the best place to start. We have a powerlifter trying to drop down to 264 (the goal is to walk around at about 270) from a 306 bodyweight. Just eliminating sugary drinks and some carbs has produced really good results for him in about 45 days. You'll want to reduce calories while keeping your protein intake high to reduce fat and maintain/build muscle.

very simple question, should probably know the answer: When you are performing a kettlebell clean (or any clean for that matter) do you use your arms at all or does all the force come from your legs?
Legs...on any clean (barbell or KB) the "pull" is not an arm pull of the weight, it's you "pulling yourself" under the weight to receive it. The first "pull" is all leg drive to establish position above then knee then accelerate it with force (leg/hip/glute drive)

Do you guys have any good recommendations for good flexibility, mobility, or injury recovery videos?
For example, one that was super helpful was Joe Defranco's Limber 11 which I found here.
I've also used some shoulder mobility stuff from Allan Thrall, and some general stuff from Athlean-X.

These have all been helpful, but I know from this forum and others there's lots of BS out there. Anyone have and links, or names that you like, or people I should avoid?

I'm in my early 40's, desk job, and have many residual injuries from when I was more active but stupid.
My current goals:
  • Increase general strength and flexibility for injury prevention.
  • I play Volleyball, basketball, and mountain bike. I've been out of the loop with lockdown and work, want to be able to jump back in without pulling or inflaming anything.
  • General cardio for health.
Here's a list of my current issue areas:
  • Rotator cuff pain. (This is pretty bad and keeps me from doing much in any of the presses)
  • Tight lower back.
  • Hip pain (piriformis) (Limber 11 is great for this!)
  • Oversuppination (results in frequent ankle sprains)
  • Posterior tibialis pain.
Having had low back, shoulder, elbow issues in the past, I can tell you the best thing I have done has been to incorporate banded routines into my warm ups, every single session. You can search on youtube for many of these. Some examples -

Banded clamshells
Banded Glute bridges
Banded psoas march
banded side steps
banded monster walks
Banded Good mornings
Banded Kang squats

All above helped my low back tremendously as it helped me strengthen glutes, hips, etc and it prepped me very well for my training (I mainly train in Olympic lifting and I'm 53 years old so I need a lot of warm up/prep time especially for snatches)

There are also many shoulder movements you can do with longer bands.

Pull aparts (palms down, palms up, elbows tucked close to body, etc)
Pull aparts can be in front of body, overhead and pull down to shoulders, pulled in diagonal motion
Banded arnold presses
Banded front raises...

In short, I don't spend much time stretching although I do work on ankle flexion via a couple of more static movements as this is super important for snatch position (barbell overhead, sitting in low squat).

Let me know if you can't find any of these. I have an email with a lot of them outlined for others who have asked me about this (from my gym)

Back