Beginners (noob) questions thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you often find that when you squat one leg feels like it's doing more work than the other?

Do you often find that when you squat one leg feels like it's doing more work than the other?

Strangely, I've never had that problem with squatting. My legs always feel the same level of tiredness after squats.

I didn't think that this would merit its own thread, so here's my question:

I find that when I do barbell work (like triceps extensions or forearm curls) one muscle always feels like it worked harder than the other (like right forearm is much more sore than the other, or left tricep feels the burn more than the other). Even when I do stuff like concentration curls with a dumbbell, my right bicep (my right hand is dominant) feels like it had a great workout but my left arm doesn't feel similar. It's not always consistent though (sometimes the right muscle feels the burn more, and sometimes the left one does).

What should I do? Am I doing something wrong? Should I add more reps when doing an exercise until my muscle feels it? Meaning, if I've finished my bicep curls and my right arm can't do anymore but my left arm doesn't feel tired, should I do more curls with my left arm? I'm worried that there will eventually be a significant size or strength difference between my dominant and non-dominant arms.

Thanks

I had this problem. My sports physio advised I only use unilatteral exercises for a while. Split squats, single stiff legged romanian deadlifts, db rows, db bench, things like that. I got bored though, and went back to barbells. i enjoy them more. But If I were smart I would have dont only unilatteral work for a month or two untill I was all balanced out, and then started using barbells again, but keeping in some unilatteral work. I.E. if its bench press day, use DB press as assistance.

I'm kinda new to weight lifting. I'm somewhat strong from a lifetime of martial arts and other sports, but I notice that I struggle with stability on bench presses. I was playing around one day and noticed that if I use a machine to do chest presses, I can max out the machine no problem (~240 lbs), but bench pressing 150 lbs makes me feel really unsteady. The weight isn't so much the problem as it is how unbalanced I feel. I guess that's probably normal using free weights with minimal technique experience before hand. Anyone have tips on how to become more stabilized and balanced on the bench?

I'm kinda new to weight lifting. I'm somewhat strong from a lifetime of martial arts and other sports, but I notice that I struggle with stability on bench presses. I was playing around one day and noticed that if I use a machine to do chest presses, I can max out the machine no problem (~240 lbs), but bench pressing 150 lbs makes me feel really unsteady. The weight isn't so much the problem as it is how unbalanced I feel. I guess that's probably normal using free weights with minimal technique experience before hand. Anyone have tips on how to become more stabilized and balanced on the bench?

Watch this video series, and practice, practice, practice.

I'm interested in doing single leg squats.

I can do them ass to grass unweighted with some amount of control, but I do come off my heels. I lack serious ankle flexibility, i.e. i cant squat to parallel unweighted with both feet on the ground without my heels coming up.

If I add resistance would it be easier for me to keep my heels down?

If I do this without keeping my heels down is that bad for my knees or something else?

When does one change to use microplates and change the progression from 2.5 kg to 1.25/1 kg when running Starting Strength?

After stalling or? What if you can lift the prescribed weight but it feels heavy and you can't imagine add 2.5 kgs to the bar the next training. Is this the moment you change to lower increments? Or do you continue with 2.5 kg increments untill you stall?

And when you stall and deload the weight you are working with. Do you then continue with 2.5 kg increments or use 1.25 kg?

Just being curious. Thanks in advance :)

I'm interested in doing single leg squats.

I can do them ass to grass unweighted with some amount of control, but I do come off my heels. I lack serious ankle flexibility, i.e. i cant squat to parallel unweighted with both feet on the ground without my heels coming up.

If I add resistance would it be easier for me to keep my heels down?

If I do this without keeping my heels down is that bad for my knees or something else?

Any particular reason you want to do 1-legged squats?

When does one change to use microplates and change the progression from 2.5 kg to 1.25/1 kg when running Starting Strength?

After stalling or? What if you can lift the prescribed weight but it feels heavy and you can't imagine add 2.5 kgs to the bar the next training. Is this the moment you change to lower increments? Or do you continue with 2.5 kg increments untill you stall?

And when you stall and deload the weight you are working with. Do you then continue with 2.5 kg increments or use 1.25 kg?

Just being curious. Thanks in advance :)

I think you can microload by feel (you don't feel you'll get the weight next session) as it's still linear progression, and that's whats important. Conversely, microloading when you miss probably wouldn't be a bad idea either. Personally, I would take a 2.5lb jump if it's taken more than 1 session to hit a certain weight.

For instance,
150: 5, 5, 5
155: 5, 5, 3
155: 5, 5, 5
157.5:

Any particular reason you want to do 1-legged squats

I feel like it has applications for certain take downs, i.e. uchi mata, harai goshi. not just for the strength but for the exercise in balance and form. i have a problem with bending over too much when i attempt hip throws and i thought this might be a way I could help myself fix that when im alone and if done without weight, it could be a good thing for me to get woken up in the mornings.

Why do we ohp with a thumbless grip but bench press with thumb around the bar?

Is it just because of the danger of the bar slipping out?

I feel like it has applications for certain take downs, i.e. uchi mata, harai goshi. not just for the strength but for the exercise in balance and form. i have a problem with bending over too much when i attempt hip throws and i thought this might be a way I could help myself fix that when im alone and if done without weight, it could be a good thing for me to get woken up in the mornings.

Check the advice I posted in your thread.

Why do we ohp with a thumbless grip but bench press with thumb around the bar?

Is it just because of the danger of the bar slipping out?

I bench thumbless. Most people avoid it for obvious safety reasons though.

Eh, the best way to get better at those is to just drill the movement.

Besides, those big, flashy hip throws are just plain hard to learn. Especially you're not learning from a proper judo school (I have no idea, but since you called them take-downs instead of hip throws I assume you're not doing judo)

I am training judo. i call them take downs because my primary reason for training judo is for bjj. i wouldnt call uchi mata or harai goshi all that flashy.

yea drilling them would definitely be best, but that kinda requires another hooman :)

I've been having issues with a bit of elbow pain and have been playing around with grip to try to find something that works for me. It soon clicked that I OHP thumbless and it allows my elbows the freedom they need. I havent switched to thumbless bench yet though.

While benching with thumb around the bar, i can feel pressure on my elbow while unracking and at the bottom trying to keep my elbows tucked. If I flare out my elbows, it feels better. I may try thumbless out at really light weights just to see what it feels like.

For some reason, with my bum post ACL reconstruction knee, I'm doing starting strength and wanting to learn power cleans. I've found a couple decent tutorials, such as the Glenn Pendlay one, and another one with a nice British lady on Youtube, but they both say to simply jump and catch the bar in clean position. It seems like there should be a little more technique to that. Does anyone have any pointers or cues for that last pull and getting a proper catch?

I've read the cue of "bend the bar" when benching. Which direction are you supposed to bend the bar?

I know for squats, you are trying to bend the bar over your back by pulling the bar down into your back. What about the bench?

I think I've been trying to bend it forward, trying to make the ends of the bar point away from my head.

For some reason, with my bum post ACL reconstruction knee, I'm doing starting strength and wanting to learn power cleans. I've found a couple decent tutorials, such as the Glenn Pendlay one, and another one with a nice British lady on Youtube, but they both say to simply jump and catch the bar in clean position. It seems like there should be a little more technique to that. Does anyone have any pointers or cues for that last pull and getting a proper catch?

http://www.sweatpit.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=power_clean

I largely wrote that because belph would not stop bugging me.

I start a new job soon. Working 9-5 for the first time in my life. This means that I will have to lift before work (my gym is too packed to move after work) in the morning. That means that I will have to get into a routine of getting up early and going to the gym, and this is something I want to do every day to make it a proper routine, rather than sleeping in some days and missing the gym other days because i hit the snooze button.

My question is what kind of workouts can I do every day? Im going to use the Hi - Lo method. One day of heavy lifting followed by a lighter recovery day, so what can I do on the light days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back