Beginners (noob) questions thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this isn't the right place for this, hopefully it is.
I've had groin pain on and off for 2 ish months, going on 3. I first noticed it after a bike ride, although it probably wasn't because of this. I left it for a few weeks and it wasn't getting much better, so I went to have it checked. The doctor reassured me on multiple visits that it wasn't a hernia, just a pull of some sort (I hope). I rested it for 6/7 weeks and it seemed to get better, so I started back doing my workout, building slowly and carefully.
Today, I was deadlifting 50 kg (subjectively heavy), and I got a sensation in my groin. I wouldn't describe it as pain, it was more like pressure in the testicle/groin area. I stopped the set there. The pain tends to be in the crease of my leg and in the left testicle. This pain also happens when I'm straining to complete a pull up rep.
What exercises, if any, do I need to cut out to help this recover? I'm doing a basic Greyskull LP with assistance work.
Thanks.

You could do db side raises 2x week and superset them rear flyes? You could also do shrugs or face pulls.

Yeah, maybe I will just add in this de franco shoulder workout after deadlift / chinup days. I guess they would be better after bench days, but oh well. I guess thats a problem with using lifts for days rather than body parts.

Maybe this isn't the right place for this, hopefully it is.
I've had groin pain on and off for 2 ish months, going on 3. I first noticed it after a bike ride, although it probably wasn't because of this. I left it for a few weeks and it wasn't getting much better, so I went to have it checked. The doctor reassured me on multiple visits that it wasn't a hernia, just a pull of some sort (I hope). I rested it for 6/7 weeks and it seemed to get better, so I started back doing my workout, building slowly and carefully.
Today, I was deadlifting 50 kg (subjectively heavy), and I got a sensation in my groin. I wouldn't describe it as pain, it was more like pressure in the testicle/groin area. I stopped the set there. The pain tends to be in the crease of my leg and in the left testicle. This pain also happens when I'm straining to complete a pull up rep.
What exercises, if any, do I need to cut out to help this recover? I'm doing a basic Greyskull LP with assistance work.
Thanks.

IMO go to the doctor again or ask for another one. These kinds of things are hard to solve online so getting proper tests done is waaayyy better.

Failing that, you could do something like Defranco's shoulder shocker. Jaunty has done it and quite liked it.

It's true that I have done it, and in fact do it regularly. But I I don't have any problems with my shoulders. I mainly just do it as a away of adding assistance and some isolation work for my shoulders, which I'd almost never done before.

I do it and have shoulder problems, I started on Jaunty's recommendation. I like it. Seems to make a big difference.

When doing stiff leg deadlift, how close should you stand to the bar? I looked up Candito's video which says to stand back (looks like bar not over toes). All others look like normal DL stance... Just a matter of preference?

so i'm weak as all heck and can't do a single pull up. are there any good ways to build up to this, like one of those 30 day challenges?

so i'm weak as all heck and can't do a single pull up. are there any good ways to build up to this, like one of those 30 day challenges?

Negatives, inverted rows, band assisted pullups, stay away from the machine assisted.

Depending on which challenge you mean, there could be value in doing it, but IIRC most of them require you to be able to do a few reps already.

there is a thread that is not too old, maybe a week or two, about this very same question.

Just wondering...

I'm doing the Stronglifts template, which tells me to lift three days a week and rest on my off days. (mon, wed, fri) However, I currently do Judo three days a week on those off days. (tues, thurs, sat)

Would it be better to lift the same days that I train Judo, or is the current schedule okay?

Just wondering...

I'm doing the Stronglifts template, which tells me to lift three days a week and rest on my off days. (mon, wed, fri) However, I currently do Judo three days a week on those off days. (tues, thurs, sat)

Would it be better to lift the same days that I train Judo, or is the current schedule okay?

It's perfectly fine.

found the thread. i think i'm going to try negatives, chins and hands facing each other using my pull up bar.

that's something i think i can do round the house when i pass and (hopefully) slowly build up to a full pull up.

i think that and the plank challenge i'm trying should help with muay thai a lot

i was just wondering about prehad/corrective exercises or exercises that in general help with posture, imbalances, or keeping good form. things like face pulls and goblet squats. what are some other good ones that anyone can benefit from? i want to add 1 or 2 quick lifts at the end of each day

i was just wondering about prehad/corrective exercises or exercises that in general help with posture, imbalances, or keeping good form. things like face pulls and goblet squats. what are some other good ones that anyone can benefit from? i want to add 1 or 2 quick lifts at the end of each day

The problem is that there are a great many potentially beneficial prehab and corrective exercises that a person can do, but it's a practical impossibility to do all of them in an effective program. Which means you have to do them based on need, and not just adding in random ones preemptively.

Face-pulls and other upper back exercises that focus more on various smaller muscles are good to include in pretty much any program, though.

The problem is that there are a great many potentially beneficial prehab and corrective exercises that a person can do, but it's a practical impossibility to do all of them in an effective program. Which means you have to do them based on need, and not just adding in random ones preemptively.

Face-pulls and other upper back exercises that focus more on various smaller muscles are good to include in pretty much any program, though.

or you can do your bench press on a bosu ball and it trains the smaller muscles because science....

thats exactly what i'm looking for. things like face pulls that are just good in general. not necessarily exercises for specific injuries.

or you can do your bench press on a bosu ball and it trains the smaller muscles because science....

Don't give me a dumb response like that.

It's entirely possible to talk about the specific smaller muscles and specific movements involved in various upper back exercises, but it's not necessary to overload someone with that information unless they're interested. You usually don't need to think about middle traps, lower traps, rhomboids, or all the various muscles that make up the shoulder, and their actions.

Rather, it's usually enough to realize that there's benefit in doing lighter, stricter upper back work where extra attention can be given to things like scapular retraction and rear delts, in addition to heavier upper back work, where larger muscles, like the lats, tend to dominate the movement.

How many pounds per week should I gain on a bulk? 150 pounds rights now, looking to bulk up to 170 then cut down to 160.

Use the assistance on the pull up. At first I needed like 20 pounds to help me go up and I just kept doing them and now I can do 9 strict pull ups on my own. After you can do at least 5 go on 20 day pull up challenge. You dont have to hit all 20 but it has increased the amount I can do. I plan to do weighted pull ups after I hit 15 strict.

Just wondering...

If you lift in the morning and do Judo at night then doing both of them same day is fine. If you have to lift right before or after judo then lift on your non judo days.

I didn't think that this would merit its own thread, so here's my question:

I find that when I do barbell work (like triceps extensions or forearm curls) one muscle always feels like it worked harder than the other (like right forearm is much more sore than the other, or left tricep feels the burn more than the other). Even when I do stuff like concentration curls with a dumbbell, my right bicep (my right hand is dominant) feels like it had a great workout but my left arm doesn't feel similar. It's not always consistent though (sometimes the right muscle feels the burn more, and sometimes the left one does).

What should I do? Am I doing something wrong? Should I add more reps when doing an exercise until my muscle feels it? Meaning, if I've finished my bicep curls and my right arm can't do anymore but my left arm doesn't feel tired, should I do more curls with my left arm? I'm worried that there will eventually be a significant size or strength difference between my dominant and non-dominant arms.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back