Beginners (noob) questions thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlucky on the gym idiots VII thread, but congratulations on this one.

noob question.

what do we think of leg press? i havent done them in a very long time but is there any carryover to the squat? i think coan swore by them as assistance at least

ive been against the idea of strictly assistance exercises carrying over to the compact lift without doing the compact lift but thats a bench theory of mine. if i did GMs and leg press though for example w/o squatting how much would i lose, if any, when i came back to squatting? any experiences?

ive been against the idea of strictly assistance exercises carrying over to the compact lift without doing the compact lift but thats a bench theory of mine. if i did GMs and leg press though for example w/o squatting how much would i lose, if any, when i came back to squatting? any experiences?

I wouldn't do it. Why would you drop the squat? I think the leg press has some value to it, as its one of the 3 machines in my gym (the others being hack squat, and lat pull-down), and my gym is strictly a power-lifting/OLY lifting gym, so I would think that everything in there has a reason for being there. I've also seen/talked to very strong (old-timey) bodybuilders, who have sworn by the leg press as a good assistance exercise to the squat. One was a Mr America and one was a Mr USA. They both had very high squat/DL/benches, and they both swore that the leg press helped them get to those numbers/that size. But I've never really bothered with it, so I dunno.

@samuri; thanks! :)

I wouldn't do it. Why would you drop the squat? I think the leg press has some value to it, as its one of the 3 machines in my gym (the others being hack squat, and lat pull-down), and my gym is strictly a power-lifting/OLY lifting gym, so I would think that everything in there has a reason for being there. I've also seen/talked to very strong (old-timey) bodybuilders, who have sworn by the leg press as a good assistance exercise to the squat. One was a Mr America and one was a Mr USA. They both had very high squat/DL/benches, and they both swore that the leg press helped them get to those numbers/that size. But I've never really bothered with it, so I dunno.

@samuri; thanks! :)

def not by choice. trying to rest a knee issue but find a safe way to work around it so i dont lose too much.

sounds good thing. at the very least it sounds worth while for me for sure.

the squat is my favorite lift and one of the few things i care about lol. it is horrible not being able to squat. a part of me has died

I'm on a 5/3/1 2-day split. Currently on cycle 4. I only have 40 minutes on my lunch break to get all the major 5/3/1 lifting in which leaves little to no room for all the assistance work.

My question is it straying too far from the program to do the assistance work in the evening after work? Or is it imperative to do it directly after the 5/3/1 main lifting.

Thank you in advance.

the squat is my favorite lift and one of the few things i care about lol. it is horrible not being able to squat. a part of me has died

My firstborns son name will be squat.

def not by choice. trying to rest a knee issue but find a safe way to work around it so i dont lose too much.

sounds good thing. at the very least it sounds worth while for me for sure.

I think I've actually read squats put less stress on the knees than leg press since it spreads the load over the hips, or something like that. I'll see if I can find a source.

I don't like the leg press because of how it makes my knees feel.

---

My question is, what's a good assistance exercise for breaking the bar off of the floor in the sumo deadlift? I was thinking of working with wide stance box squats.

I think I've actually read squats put less stress on the knees than leg press since it spreads the load over the hips, or something like that. I'll see if I can find a source.

yeah i think i remember back in the day hearing that squatting is better for your knees then leg press but i didnt know if that had been debunked or not.

Another noob question, squat improvement help;

I am doing the 5x5 and it has been going great, except for my squat. My squat number are low, like half my body weight x 5, and those end up not being the best form, though below parallel. My DL is a little more than my BW x 5, but with an early hip rise from my last form check.

My quads just feel burning and tight, almost all of the time, and I foam roll and stretch, but this tightness has been going on all summer, a few months after I started seriously squatting.

Today, I go to do my squats, and my knees hurt, and I have no power to drive up without seriously messing up my form in the process. No pain in my knees walking around, just when under load.

Reading on here, I think I have a form issue and a flexibility issue. I come up on my toes when I should be on the heel. I feel like I am going to fall backwards if on my heel. I read on here somewhere that coming up on the toes caused knee soreness with the poster.

Testing doing body weight squats, having the weight on the heel makes me feel off balanced, I still want to shift forward; is this a flexibility issue? I knew I had these issues going into this squat program, but thought they would sort out with experience, guess not, I found myself getting sloppy on it.

My plan is keep with the 5x5, but deviate with the squat portion:

- Incorporate the stretching of the hip flexors? This I assume will help with my form when below parallel and probably the entire motion. Also continue with the stretching of the quads (at least special focus).

- start fresh with using my body weight and get comfortable having my weight on my heels, then use the bar and slowly increase the weight until I can get back into the 5x5.

The tightness thing really bothers me, and I am hoping the knee pain under load goes away with improved form. I also run four days a week, about 20 minutes at an 8 - 10 minute mile pace, no hills or anything, I feel my quads burning into my run as well.

Does this sound good to address my issues?

Thank you

Why does it hurt when I pee? I asked on the grappling forum but nobody knew.

I am doing the 5x5 and it has been going great, except for my squat. My squat number are low, like half my body weight x 5, and those end up not being the best form, though below parallel. My DL is a little more than my BW x 5, but with an early hip rise from my last form check.

My quads just feel burning and tight, almost all of the time, and I foam roll and stretch, but this tightness has been going on all summer, a few months after I started seriously squatting.

Today, I go to do my squats, and my knees hurt, and I have no power to drive up without seriously messing up my form in the process. No pain in my knees walking around, just when under load.

Reading on here, I think I have a form issue and a flexibility issue. I come up on my toes when I should be on the heel. I feel like I am going to fall backwards if on my heel. I read on here somewhere that coming up on the toes caused knee soreness with the poster.

Testing doing body weight squats, having the weight on the heel makes me feel off balanced, I still want to shift forward; is this a flexibility issue? I knew I had these issues going into this squat program, but thought they would sort out with experience, guess not, I found myself getting sloppy on it.

- Incorporate the stretching of the hip flexors? This I assume will help with my form when below parallel and probably the entire motion. Also continue with the stretching of the quads (at least special focus).

- start fresh with using my body weight and get comfortable having my weight on my heels, then use the bar and slowly increase the weight until I can get back into the 5x5.

The tightness thing really bothers me, and I am hoping the knee pain under load goes away with improved form. I also run four days a week, about 20 minutes at an 8 - 10 minute mile pace, no hills or anything, I feel my quads burning into my run as well.

Thank you

Post a form check. There are several factors that could cause your heel to raise when in the hole.

I'm on a 5/3/1 2-day split. Currently on cycle 4. I only have 40 minutes on my lunch break to get all the major 5/3/1 lifting in which leaves little to no room for all the assistance work.

My question is it straying too far from the program to do the assistance work in the evening after work? Or is it imperative to do it directly after the 5/3/1 main lifting.

Thank you in advance.

That's fine, it's not that important to do it immediately after the main lifting.

Why does it hurt when I pee? I asked on the grappling forum but nobody knew.

Sounds like penis AIDS. The only cure is amputation. Trust me, I'm a doctor on the internet

That's fine, it's not that important to do it immediately after the main lifting.

It's not even that important to do the assistance work

Sounds like penis AIDS. The only cure is amputation. Trust me, I'm a doctor.

I can corroborate what DrB says. Better get that taken care of, moldy.

Thank you

form check is best.

but i had some issues when i started out. i did box squats (not westside superwide stance or anything) to practice pushing off the heel without falling over. pretty sure it was just weak hips. flexiblilty is always a suspect as well. i did goblet squats etc and the elbows on knees stretch thing.

what kind of knee pain is it and when does it happen? it may just be tendonitis. but if youre having trouble pushing off the heel it could be that too.

Thank you for the response Dr.B and Alex.

Winter has finally come to Texas... at least for the weekend.

Have a great Squatarday!

yeah i think i remember back in the day hearing that squatting is better for your knees then leg press but i didnt know if that had been debunked or not.

I have only recently started leg pressing, however I adjust it so that there is a short range of motion. It seems ok, I only do it for some quad/glute assistance though, little to no pressure on teh knees.

You've mentioned your knee injury for ages, probably best to get it checked out brah before it becomes a serious issue.

Do the balls go inside the condom? It doesnt say on the packet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back