beginner or intermediate at new gym?

freaky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I'm switching to a new gym. This gym have beginner, intermediate and advance boxing. I've done boxing for a bit and 2 years muay thai. Should my first class be beginner or intermediate? I know I'm at least in intermediate. They only require new students to take a few beginner classes before moving on to intermediate, basically 1 week. But since this is a new gym, do you guys still goto beginner and have the coach promote you to intermediate or straight sign up for intermediate?

I want to goto intermediate but at the same time I want to be humble. But I feel like beginner is a waste of time. Hell, based on the sites descriptions of the classes, I think I can take on their advance class. Thoughts?

What's the problem of showing up to a beginner class and introducing yourself?

It's only a reflection on your confidence at being able to put your superiority and ego aside.

Don't trash any newbies, give them a good workout and higher skilled students will definitely be checking you out.

Always the safest way to break into a new club without ruffling any territorial feathers.

New gym as a new guy, attend the beginner class.

You walk into the gym and the owner/coach will be there to ask you as a customer what you're looking for. Small talk usually ends up:
-you've done this before? Any training?
-introductory of the types of classes
-sign the waiver

Basically every gym I've been at, after knowing that you've trained, and if you're a competitor/fighter, they're cool with you to be in the intermediate classes. One of our early pros when he joined, he did the beginner class, and of course they let him spar right away, he's a pro. No need for the 3-4-month-delay-before-sparring-thang. 2nd session for him was in the advance class. They won't let you jump in with the fighter class because they don't know who you are. For all we know you could be a decent fighter, but come from a shit gym culture and end up injuring all the active fighters so they might be reluctant on that end.

I did a trial at a sister gym of ours and since they knew my coach and the years I've been in, they moved me straight to the intermediate class.

Remember, this is combat sports, its a very small tight knit community, so even if you end up training at a new gym across the city, or even another city over, they'll know what you kinda bring to the table given your previous gym or coach.

Last edited:
Go to a beginner class, let them see your skills (obviously not a beginner)

They will either allow you to go intermediate/advanced or if they don’t just ask.

So I'm switching to a new gym. This gym have beginner, intermediate and advance boxing. I've done boxing for a bit and 2 years muay thai. Should my first class be beginner or intermediate? I know I'm at least in intermediate. They only require new students to take a few beginner classes before moving on to intermediate, basically 1 week. But since this is a new gym, do you guys still goto beginner and have the coach promote you to intermediate or straight sign up for intermediate?

I want to goto intermediate but at the same time I want to be humble. But I feel like beginner is a waste of time. Hell, based on the sites descriptions of the classes, I think I can take on their advance class. Thoughts?

How long have you done boxing? I feel beginner classes are way too limited. No bag work, no sparring, no pads. Just cardio and technique drills. And yeah it's supposed to be that way but I would never return to it once I'm out of there

Go to the advanced class and immediately call out the best fighter at the gym. If you beat him you're probably too good for that gym.

If you want to go to the intermediate class, just go to the intermediate class. You pay to go there to workout/train lol. I don't mean to bash you but you should have checked to see if the gym would be a good fit culturally before signing up if you are this worried about something trivial like this.

Go to the advanced class and immediately call out the best fighter at the gym. If you beat him you're probably too good for that gym.
Prison rules, take out the biggest guy first

One of the things I learned to enjoy after being given the beginner class to teach was to re discover my basics from an advanced perspective. I had a great time drilling along with the new people and re solidifying stuff I hadn't done for years.

It's kinda cool seeing where you are from where you came from.

This is relevant cause I'm starting up in a new city at a new KB/MT school this spring after, shit, 12 years out of the ring training Judo. Same process with the new Judo school though it's only been a year and a half off the mat. Another month of rehab PT, 3 months of home training and totally stoked to sign up and hump fundamentals till I get the nod.

Fuck I'm old, but cool cause I've got nothing to prove other than train cause I love it.

Go to the beginner class. All the above points are valid, but one of the other things you've got to keep in mind as well is that most gyms have their own "language". Some will use jab, cross etc. Some will use 1 2 3 4 and odds on once you get the 4, they all start changing from place to place.

Use the beginner class to learn the language and assimilate

It depends how confident you are about slipping in to whatever they do in the intermediate class. You might get more attention from the coach in the beginner's group if it is smaller.

Back