Been made Best Man for someone I barely know

"But, sarge? Who brushes their teeth in a bed?"

"Killers do, Johnny. Killers."

I worked with this Hungarian guy for just under 3 years. I used to chat with him quite alot at work and always got on well with him. Outside of work I have probably been out with him no more then 4 times. He asked me to his house the other day and asked me to be his best man for his wedding. At first I thought he was joking since I don't know him that well other then when at work but he was deadly serious. As I was on the spot and I didn't want to upset him of course I said yes.

Now I'm feeling a little pissed off Ive been put in this situation for a guy I barely know, although I do have a hint of sympathy for him as I know he doesn't know many people here in the UK. At the same time he could have asked his dad or someone from Hungary, plus I'm shitting the fact a) I have to give a speech and b) I have no stories about him to tell in the speech as I hardly know him. To be honest I'm fucked off about the whole thing but got to do it to avoid upsetting him on his big day.
You mate is austistic. Be nice!

I worked with this Hungarian guy for just under 3 years. I used to chat with him quite alot at work and always got on well with him. Outside of work I have probably been out with him no more then 4 times. He asked me to his house the other day and asked me to be his best man for his wedding. At first I thought he was joking since I don't know him that well other then when at work but he was deadly serious. As I was on the spot and I didn't want to upset him of course I said yes.

Now I'm feeling a little pissed off Ive been put in this situation for a guy I barely know, although I do have a hint of sympathy for him as I know he doesn't know many people here in the UK. At the same time he could have asked his dad or someone from Hungary, plus I'm shitting the fact a) I have to give a speech and b) I have no stories about him to tell in the speech as I hardly know him. To be honest I'm fucked off about the whole thing but got to do it to avoid upsetting him on his big day.

nothing good can come from resentment toward him. it wont make the shitty situation any easier.

im sure he was probably embarrassed having to ask you. in the speech id focus more on marriage in general, or something.

I'm not in the same situation but my buddy made me his best man and I barely see him nowadays. I was probably the best or second best choice, but it's kinda awkward seeing as this isn't the closest we've ever been. In fact, if anything, we are drifting away slowly.

I'm not in the same situation but my buddy made me his best man and I barely see him nowadays. I was probably the best or second best choice, but it's kinda awkward seeing as this isn't the closest we've ever been. In fact, if anything, we are drifting away slowly.

Sma thing as op isnt it. Your friend doesnt have any friends who he could ask over you. How did your friend ask ?

I'll be honest the whole marriage will settle on your speech and behaviour at the wedding. So you must prepare, its not easy. Your words and energy will set the tone for him and his new wife. Make sure you buy a nice suit, tailor made, not under $2,000, people will notice if you didn't make the effort. You also need to study Hungarian language, the speech and wedding talk with guests must be in Hungarian and English, failure to do so could have the bride storm out. You have a long road ahead my friend. Good luck

1e1674d3401915b3491aa2794b3f0108.jpg

He might be aiming to make you his drunken bachelor's party hookup.
Don't let him get you drunk.

Maybe hang out a little and learn a few things about him before the wedding. (just don't get bro-roofied)

Here's another point of view.

How shitty is HIS situation, he has had to ask YOU

Look man, it's all on you, you took on this responsiblity so fucking own up to it.

Go out with him about 3 weekends or a few, create some memories and suck it up. At most you're just a requirement and window dressing, don't fuck it up for his and her day.

edit wrong thread.

You fucked up for agreeing to that. It's the 21st century, if people are going to get legally married and throw a party for it could they at least stop torturing their friends by following these old Anglophone traditions with wedding parties and best man ....etc. A good friend my recently threw an awesome wedding. No bullshit....the ceremony was at the venue, no wedding party....just the basics and the venue was top notch. Agreeing to be the best man to a guy you barely know and you don't want to do it? That guy is a dick for even asking you.You guys might not even be talking in a few years and you're the best man? He should man up and tell his fiance he doesn't have any close friends to torture with duties for having a wedding party and just modify the ceremony.

Is the Anglophone better than the iphone?

Back