Been made Best Man for someone I barely know

A speech doesn't have to be that long, just say "I've known him for 4 years, he's a great guy, best of luck to you, the end.

maybe therell be some hot hungarian girls at the wedding 4 u

I worked with this Hungarian guy for just under 3 years. I used to chat with him quite alot at work and always got on well with him. Outside of work I have probably been out with him no more then 4 times. He asked me to his house the other day and asked me to be his best man for his wedding. At first I thought he was joking since I don't know him that well other then when at work but he was deadly serious. As I was on the spot and I didn't want to upset him of course I said yes.

Now I'm feeling a little pissed off Ive been put in this situation for a guy I barely know, although I do have a hint of sympathy for him as I know he doesn't know many people here in the UK. At the same time he could have asked his dad or someone from Hungary, plus I'm shitting the fact a) I have to give a speech and b) I have no stories about him to tell in the speech as I hardly know him. To be honest I'm fucked off about the whole thing but got to do it to avoid upsetting him on his big day.

You fucked up for agreeing to that. It's the 21st century, if people are going to get legally married and throw a party for it could they at least stop torturing their friends by following these old Anglophone traditions with wedding parties and best man ....etc. A good friend my recently threw an awesome wedding. No bullshit....the ceremony was at the venue, no wedding party....just the basics and the venue was top notch. Agreeing to be the best man to a guy you barely know and you don't want to do it? That guy is a dick for even asking you.You guys might not even be talking in a few years and you're the best man? He should man up and tell his fiance he doesn't have any close friends to torture with duties for having a wedding party and just modify the ceremony.

Weddings are fucking awesome and speeches are pretty easy. Make it short and sweet, enjoy the free booze, and hopefully Hungarian girls.

Hungarian food is also amazing

You fucked up for agreeing to that. It's the 21st century, if people are going to get legally married and throw a party for it could they at least stop torturing their friends by following these old Anglophone traditions with wedding parties and best man ....etc. A good friend my recently threw an awesome wedding. No bullshit....the ceremony was at the venue, no wedding party....just the basics and the venue was top notch. Agreeing to be the best man to a guy you barely know and you don't want to do it? That guy is a dick for even asking you.You guys might not even be talking in a few years and you're the best man? He should man up and tell his fiance he doesn't have any close friends to torture with duties for having a wedding party and just modify the ceremony.

Wait, this "awesome" wedding. Was there free booze?

They should make a romantic comedy out of this story starring Jason Segel and Paul Rudd.

The trick is seeing how far you can get into the FRESH PRINCE theme song before someone says something.

I understand what you mean. But i'm guessing the guy didn't have close friends. And probably saw ts as a close one. Since he said they used to talk a lot.

I don't really see the harm in him asking. But ultimately it was up to the ts to say no.

You're a good guy ts.

However bad you feel about this, I imagine this guy feels worse.

He must be a decent dude or you wouldn't have been "work friends" with him for the past 3 years.

He's away from his native country where all his close friends and family are.

He considers you a friend because you talk every day for the past 3 years and have hung out after work a few times. Consider yourself lucky that you have so many friends that you don't even consider this significant. But to him, it is significant.

I'm sure it was awkward for him to ask. He knows you don't consider him a close friend, but he has to get someone or else he'll look like a loser in front of his bride's friends and family.

I'm sure you're going to get some good food and free booze out of the deal, plus the chance to bang bridesmaids.

That being said.... if it were me I would've told him to fuck off.

You should fun at parties

TS: you can always say 'no'. I turned down a very good friend's request. It was not going to happen logistically, they wanted me to meet with them weekly for 2 yrs before the wedding -- while I was living in another city. Secondly - and more importantly - the chick was a fucking train wreck. Straight up insane. i just couldn't be a part of that. They're divorced and she ruined his life for a few years.

I've worked with Hungarians over the years. Usually stern but would laugh heartily. Bipolars. Also, one of them is a genocide denier. Good times.

You should fun at parties

I am fun at parties. I think of my guests instead of handing out duties for them to do. I've yet to talk to a person who was happy they had to be the best man. Why do you think the OP started a thread about it? It's like if you throw a big party at your house and then ask one person to sing a song for your party despite them not actually being a singer.

I've worked with Hungarians over the years. Usually stern but would laugh heartily. Bipolars. Also, one of them is a genocide denier. Good times.

I grew up with some Hungarian folks. the way they say fart is hilarious. 'feeng' haha

I am fun at parties. I think of my guests instead of handing out duties for them to do. I've yet to talk to a person who was happy they had to be the best man. Why do you think the OP started a thread about it? It's like if you throw a big party at your house and then ask one person to sing a song for your party despite them not actually being a singer.
Being a best man isn't hard work. It's organizing a bachelor party, giving a speech about how you hope nothing but the best for the groom and bride, and having your friend's back during the most important day of his life. It's not exactly like TS has to sacrifice his first born child or something.

Being a best man isn't hard work. It's organizing a bachelor party, giving a speech about how you hope nothing but the best for the groom and bride, and having your friend's back during the most important day of his life. It's not exactly like TS has to sacrifice his first born child or something.

Nope, see your one of those people that aren't considerate of others. It's not a big deal to you obviously so you don't give a shit.

Simple litmus test is "why did the OP start this thread?". He is literally "shitting the fact" that he's the best man. Thats his words not mine.

I understand what you mean. But i'm guessing the guy didn't have close friends. And probably saw ts as a close one. Since he said they used to talk a lot.

I don't really see the harm in him asking. But ultimately it was up to the ts to say no.

You're a good guy ts.

Its not the OPs fault this guy doesn't have real friends. My point is very simple, if you don't have real friends then don't have a wedding party.

Now if you do actually have real friends and you want to throw the best wedding you make it very simple...no wedding party, quick ceremony and have an awesome dinner and open bar. Think of it as......"how can I accommodate my guests as best as possible?".....not "Which guest is going to perform for me?"

Nope, see your one of those people that aren't considerate of others. It's not a big deal to you obviously so you don't give a shit.

Simple litmus test is "why did the OP start this thread?". He is literally "shitting the fact" that he's the best man. Thats his words not mine.
I am considerate of others. That's why I help out my friends and don't bitch about it on the internet like a crybaby. But you can be self-centered if you want to, I guess. You got yours, and fuck everybody else, right?

I made some half assed speech as the best man at my buddy's wedding. I have no idea what I said or why. ppl didn't give even a lone fuck. everyone just wanted to get their drink and eat on.

Back