Been injured twice in three weeks, thinking about quitting.....

jcgonzmo

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I am really pissed. I am a white belt, an I have been training for a year and half. My previous academy went out of business so I went to a new one. In my previous academy everyone rolled intense but careful. In this one people are a little bit more aggressive but I though I could handle it. I did not find myself in the academy, so I stop going for a couple of months and doing bjj. After a while I decided to give bjj a try again, so I went to this academy (the closest one to my house). I have been going constantly for the last 2 months and a half. In the last 3 weeks I have been injured one one arm and today in the other arm. I was injured by guys that put a submission really aggressive without giving time tap. I am freaking pissed off. In my previous academy I was injured maybe once an it was because I refused to tap. That was at the beginning of my journey as a white belt. Never happened again. Any advice? Right now I am in the state of mind of " I have more than 30 years, I am planning on getting married and I am running a business. Cant have some random dudes just injuring me every now on them. How can people be so irresponsible!"

Last edited:
Maybe go to another school or try like aikido or karate or something. Not sure what to tell you. That's why some places are moving towards with holding white belts from sparring for a while.

Try switching schools. These power based guys who have the strength, weight, and technique advantage who use all of it to their abilities will injure you eventually. Thats why I basically stopped doing bjj with anyone outside of about ~5 people

Try and find another school. I used to train at a power based school. It's fun but every roll was intense. Some guys were so strong that they could out muscle good technique. I wasn't injured all the time but the aches and pains would come. I mean I was slammed to the ground as some guy did a shoulder throw or might I say powered through a shoulder throw without me realizing what happened I spiked my shoulder on the mat. My shoulder is still fucked. I too was powerlifting with the guys in the gym but some of those rolls sucked.

I've found a more finesse type school that emphasizes technique first. I'm not as injured or fatigued.

Some BJJ dudes are little bitches. They're quick to pull hard on a submission when they know they aren't starting with gloves. I have no respect for people who pull hard submissions in training.

Right now I am in the state of mind of " I have more than 30 years, I am planning on getting married and I am running a business. Cant have some random dudes just injuring me every now on them. How can people be so irresponsible!"

How does the random risk of injury at practice effect a marital engagement?

Lesson one. Leave ego at the door and tap early.

You refused to tap once?

Have you analyzed your own behavior during sparring? That may be contributing to the problem.

That's happened to me once or twice as a White Belt. I have no issues confronting my training partner if I feel that they're going way too hard. I tell them that if they want to roll hard then make it clear before the roll. I have a job & family to take care of. If my body is up to it, we can go HAM but you need a heads up.

Have a chat with the instructor. Ensure you're not emotional when you do. Explain your expectations. Their reaction will help you make your decision to stay or go.

Why don't you just tell them to go slow with subs as you are just a white belt ? It should work I think

Just tell people you roll with before beginning of each roll to not crank on submissions.

Sounds like you're not tapping soon enough. When that is the case your entire game can be stubborn and will tend to compromise your health for the sake of "victory". I think a majority of people go through that phase. Whitebelt and bluebelts(although not limited to) do that all the time. They wont tap until it starts to hurt which is ALWAYS too late.

Calm yourself and just tap to stay on the mat.

To people that are saying I am not tapping soon enough. This is not the case. We are talking about aggresively doing a submission without time to tap. Obviously, if you grab my arm and put gradual pressure I wil tap from the get go. Actually, that is my philosophy "TAP FAST".
The only way for me to have prevented these past two injuries, would have been to tap as soon as I felt someone grab my arm. Not even wait for them to do the submission movement. I hope I am clear.

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-19_16-17-25.png
    upload_2017-9-19_16-17-25.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 8
By the way guys, I am using the R.I.C.E method to heal my injury. I do not understand one thing. I read online that after putting ICE on the place that was hurt, I should use a compression sleeve to promote blood flow and reduce movement, Is that accurate? Should I wear a compression sleeve all day or is it just for a short while?

While it sucks to have someone wrench on a submission and hurt you, I don't get how you can be in such a bad position for an armbar that you don't have any time to tap?

It might be worth looking at your sub defence and arm positioning a bit if people are able to wrench on your arm that quickly. The only time I get hurt in armbars or kimuras is when I try to defend after it's too late.
My arms usually don't get hurt, but I do get annoyed when people explosively kick there legs into my face when going for an armbar in training. I understand it's a way to break the defence grip, but I choose to use others for my partners sake.

Sounds like you should ask your training partners to slow down a bit, but also work on your own defence at the same time.
Good Luck and stop being a little bitch :)

Maybe go to another school or try like aikido or karate or something. Not sure what to tell you. That's why some places are moving towards with holding white belts from sparring for a while.

People get really pissed at this idea, but it's actually one thing Gracie Academy did that I sort of agree with.

While it sucks to have someone wrench on a submission and hurt you, I don't get how you can be in such a bad position for an armbar that you don't have any time to tap?

It might be worth looking at your sub defence and arm positioning a bit if people are able to wrench on your arm that quickly. The only time I get hurt in armbars or kimuras is when I try to defend after it's too late.
My arms usually don't get hurt, but I do get annoyed when people explosively kick there legs into my face when going for an armbar in training. I understand it's a way to break the defence grip, but I choose to use others for my partners sake.

Sounds like you should ask your training partners to slow down a bit, but also work on your own defence at the same time.
Good Luck and stop being a little bitch :)

It's possible to get injured repeatedly if there is a significant age gap AND the partner is some newly promoted blue belt wanting to feast on the new guy.

It's possible to get injured repeatedly if there is a significant age gap AND the partner is some newly promoted blue belt wanting to feast on the new guy.

You are completely right, but there is a number of ways to mitigate or limit your injuries when you roll.

1. Tap early and often.
2. Talk to your partner and ask them to chill out.
3. Use proper defensive positioning and limit their attack options while doing the above if things get out of hand.

There are simply just some dick heads out there, but if they go to hard for people all they have to do is speak up and ask the other person to slow down. If they don't just tap out and tell them why you did. Then all you need to do is not roll anymore with them and say why.

It sucks when someone cranks something really hard from the start, but this generally happens when you are also wrestling with them in a similar way. It's really hard to go crazy on someone who is rolling passively because their defence is solid and they don't over commit. Majority of injuries happen when both parties are wrestling hard and someone twists or falls in an awkward way.

Just some options for the threadstarter to consider and something a few of us guys who have been around a while will do to enable us to train over an extended period.
The other option is to just quit if they no longer want to do BJJ.

Back