Becoming a Referee

Psterio

Comic Book Writer & FC Fan
@White
Reaction score
I'm 36, I know I'm very likely too old to become a fighter, but I want to do something in MMA and I know referees are important. Besides cardio, what else is important or steps I need to take in order to become a MMA/boxing referee?

Any information or sources would be great. I want to be informed like Leon Roberts or Herb Dean and as far away from Steve Mazzagatti as possible

I'm 36, I know I'm very likely too old to become a fighter, but I want to do something in MMA and I know referees are important. Besides cardio, what else is important or steps I need to take in order to become a MMA/boxing referee?

Any information or sources would be great. I want to be informed like Leon Roberts or Herb Dean and as far away from Steve Mazzagatti as possible

Several Threads were lingering regarding the process.

Think this might be the better of those out there

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-truth-about-being-a-ufc-referee.4153531/

Search here is kinda hit and miss.

For boxing you can go to a USA boxing sanctioned clinic (or your countries equivalent) and get certified after training. You’ll start as a volunteer in the amateurs but you’ll be busy and get plenty of experience: they are hard up for help right now.

For mma the link provided will have some good help/advice. Mainly: learn jiu jitsu. I feel a million times safer putting my fighters in the cage when the ref is the most Knowledgeable grappler of the 3 men in there.

I'll consider the BJJ training, I'm 6'4" and 300+ lbs, I'm not a small guy. I do know how to restrain people, I know the rear naked choke and the full/half nelson.

Besides learning some BJJ, because of my size, Russian Sambo and Jeet Kun Do, anything else I would know or read or study about becoming an MMA referee?

I'll consider the BJJ training, I'm 6'4" and 300+ lbs, I'm not a small guy. I do know how to restrain people, I know the rear naked choke and the full/half nelson.

Besides learning some BJJ, because of my size, Russian Sambo and Jeet Kun Do, anything else I would know or read or study about becoming an MMA referee?
Go to an event and ask a reference how he did it after the event.

Back