Beatdown after the bell behind paywall now? breen show is gone? is sherdog radio over?

I used to like listening to Sherdog radio for Beatdown After The Bell and such, but no way would I pay for it. There are so many free MMA podcasts and post-fight wrap up shows that are as good or better.
Pls, recommend me some good post-fight podcasts. Really only listen to the CME and Believe You Me.

Beatdown After The Bell was getting increasingly bad, I think, especially when TJ did them alone. Breen was good, and Jack was great.

Not paying for someone’s opinion in 2018, forgetabouit.

Stopped listening to sherdog radio several years ago pretty much. Listened sometimes when Sherwood was on, but after they fired Sherdog from Sherdog I don't really think there was anybody likeable left. I guess Breen isn't bad, just not my type of show.
Jack had some really good shows also I should mention, great interviews and you could tell he really prepared and took his job seriously.

Remember hearing Savage and some other guy(not thinking off Sherwood right now) talking about hockey, NFL etc, TJ telling them to stop and them just laughing it off and keeping it up. It really was unprofessional IMO since it was advertised as an MMA show and hosted on an MMA website, and they were supposed to be "MMA journalists".

I get that it might be boring and maybe even bad to keep it all about MMA, talking a little about recent events or real life stuff is probably not only okay but also good.
In this case it was just rude and unprofessional though often times. Wasn't like a brief 30-120 sec breakdown of "the game" when something major happened. But just small talk for long periods of time, then openly challenging TJ when he tried to steer it towards MMA, petulant like a child trying to prove "you can't make me talk MMA, you are not the boss of me".

This definitely did happen, but the show was still at it's peak when Savage and Sherwood were mostly fucking around.

Pls, recommend me some good post-fight podcasts. Really only listen to the CME and Believe You Me.

Beatdown After The Bell was getting increasingly bad, I think, especially when TJ did them alone. Breen was good, and Jack was great.

Not paying for someone’s opinion in 2018, forgetabouit.
My favorite post-fight wrap up podcasts, all with video on YouTube:

Bloody Elbow's 6th Round
Luke Thomas's Post-Fight Show
Fightful.com Recap Show

Sherdog is in trouble because the entire MMA media landscape is contracting. Breen referenced this on twitter.

It is contracting because MMA itself is contracting. Hardcore fans are falling away because the UFC has tanked since WME started making decisions. Simultaneously, the media landscape as a whole remains extremely challenging as a business environment.

MMA media is now getting radically fewer clicks due to declining interest. Fewer clicks = less money = fewer journalists.

Crave, the owners of Sherdog, closed down the radio. They have also cut costs across the board in terms of salaries, written content, etc. This forum is what keeps Sherdog afloat.

Breen is now doing podcasts behind a paywall. Can’t see many people really being willing to stump up monthly cash. Considering that he knows more about MMA than any man alive, I hope he can get a good gig elsewhere.
Thanks for the info.

Honestly it seems like sherdog isn't the same after Jeff Sherwood left.... kind of like the UFC has lost a bit of steam post Zuffa.

There tends to be more to companies than just the name.

Remove the people who built those companies and insert someone else with different interests, different vision (if any) and different priorities and things change, rarely for the better.

This definitely did happen, but the show was still at it's peak when Savage and Sherwood were mostly fucking around.
Yea some of the time with Sherwood and Savage also of course... but it was Savage for me that was the problem because he would kind of antagonise TJ and keep up the unrelated things further. Sherwood a bit also but I found him more light hearted and fun and Savage more like a bully. And for me it actually sucked to listen to long conversations about other sports I dont follow.

Sherwood with anybody else and it was good, Savage with anybody and always as bad :D
I dont know him and if he is a good/bad person or anything like that so dont want to make him out to be this terrible person. But he did drive me away from sherdog radio.

Sherdog is in trouble because the entire MMA media landscape is contracting. Breen referenced this on twitter.

It is contracting because MMA itself is contracting. Hardcore fans are falling away because the UFC has tanked since WME started making decisions. Simultaneously, the media landscape as a whole remains extremely challenging as a business environment.

MMA media is now getting radically fewer clicks due to declining interest. Fewer clicks = less money = fewer journalists.

that may be true in the wider sense, but in terms of MMA podcasting, there's never been a better time. Luke Thomas, Jack Slack, Co-Main Event, Bret Okamoto, are all putting out professional MMA broadcasts and I believe Ariel the Little Mermaid is popular and has slicker production than Sherdog as well.

Sherdog really only had two great talents ever- Jack Encarnacao and "Rodney Dean."

Breen is pretty knowledgeable and good in small doses but not a great personality or broadcaster and the last couple times I heard him on air he seemed drunk or something.

Hard for Sherdog Radio to compete with actual decent journalists, production and fight analysts.

If I were Crave I would pay someone competent to do the audio and throw some money at Jack and Breen to do Roundtables along with some unpaid guests and Breen and guest to do Beatdown After the Bell for every major event and not try to do any of the other hopeless shows.

All of TJ DeSantis, Jeff Sherwood, Jordan Breen, and Josh Gross's podcast content is Pay Per View now.

Jeff sold out his site, and now their squeezing pennies out of MMA hardcores.

Buncha sellouts! I used to feel bad for them all getting canned, but no more!

Used to listen to Sherdog radio when I first got into MMA

Sherdog forums > Sherdog.com

The same handful of listeners that used to call in religiously will probably pay. But like, it's just a podcast. Nobody should pay for podcasts. As fancy shmancy as TJ Desantis thinks his production is, he is kidding himself with this shit.

Why should nobody pay for podcasts?

I've subscribed to few, Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is definitely worth paying for. Personally I'd much prefer an ad-free show that I pay a few bucks a month for then a podcast that is constantly interrupted with ads.

Thanks for the info.

Honestly it seems like sherdog isn't the same after Jeff Sherwood left.... kind of like the UFC has lost a bit of steam post Zuffa.

There tends to be more to companies than just the name.

Remove the people who built those companies and insert someone else with different interests, different vision (if any) and different priorities and things change, rarely for the better.

I have to agree with you. Especially because the new owners completely screwed over Jeff.
I think TJ did his best to save the station. But in the end it just wasn't enough.

Sherdog is dying

I've subscribed to few, Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is definitely worth paying for. Personally I'd much prefer an ad-free show that I pay a few bucks a month for then a podcast that is constantly interrupted with ads.
I wouldn't listen to any podcasts if they had to be paid for. Podcasts tend to be an informal stream of consciousness or a discussion. I'm not going to pay to sit in on a discussion between TJ Desantis and Jordan Breen. Fair enough, they've put resources into educating themselves and researching and producing something, but you'll pay $10/€10 to buy a book(or audiobook) which a person has put their whole life/career into educating themselves and researching. When you scale that down to a podcast, it's tiny and informal and that's the strength of podcasting.

You've provided the perfect example with Dan Carlin, he makes podcasts which focus on a very specific topic and informally discusses it for an hour or so, and he doesn't interrupt it with advertising, at least the last time I listened. And if he did monetise it, it would colour the content like is the case with Chael Sonnen who litters his podcasts with opinions agreeable with whoever his sponsor is and insincere personal endorsements.

I have to agree with you. Especially because the new owners completely screwed over Jeff.
I think TJ did his best to save the station. But in the end it just wasn't enough.
I liked jeff. He clearly had a major passion for MMA and was on the train way before the masses, he didn't take himself too seriously and he wasn't afraid to go against the grain.

I hope he is enjoying life after sherdog.

I have paid for archived Hardcore History episodes, but to me that's a very different thing. It's more akin to buying an audiobook. I will never get in the habit of paying for the ability to listen to extremely topical, kind of throwaway content. It's the same reason I don't have cable. I end up getting it for a couple months and realize I'm not watching anything.

I'm not even saying the a pay model doesn't make sense from a monetary standpoint from the point of view of the consumer, but in reality you almost always make better money by giving away content people expect to get for free and trying to find advertisers.

Money talks...... Bull$hit (& intrusive advertising) runs the marathon.........

I liked these shows, this sucks. no way im paying $4 a month for beadown after the bell tho

UFC dying is becoming really real in 2018

The shows are free to listen to live. The archive is behind a paywall at Patreon.com/betweenrounds

It's $4 a month. For that price you get "The Daily Wrap" with David Bixenspan, "The Jordan Breen Show," "Behind the Pay Wall" with myself and Jeff Sherwood, "Collapsed MMA" with me and Breen, and the roundtables.

You can listen to the live shows at mixlr.com/tjdesantis. Breen is live on Tuesday's at 2pm Pacific. "Behind The Pay Wall" is live that same night at 7pm Pacific. BATB is live immediately after the events like always.

Would consider if Jeff just talks about softball and if they bring back MMA Sunday School.

The same handful of listeners that used to call in religiously will probably pay. But like, it's just a podcast. Nobody should pay for podcasts. As fancy shmancy as TJ Desantis thinks his production is, he is kidding himself with this shit.

The service is doing very well, hopefully you have had a chance to check it out. We do release podcasts for free every few weeks.

"It's just a podcast." If you feel that way then I understand you have little attachment to the programming we have produced for the last 12 and a half years. Not everyone rode the wave and that's understandable. However, many say that the content on the SRN was vital to their fandom and introduction to the sport. We're not charging you because we want to get rich. We charge because instead of trying to find advertisers or go and pitch the content to another site to pay us to work, we can just produce the audio and stick to doing what we're good at.

We live in a time where you don't have to pay for content. I don't think I am breaking news by saying that if you want to watch premium television and films you can without paying a dime. Instead, we just ask you to show support and put a little scratch down for the things that help you get through the day. If our content isn't worth $48 a year, no worries. Producing "The Lapsed Fan" has shown me that people will support what they care about and what they feel they need in their lives. TLF is extremely (Jared Shaw voice) healthy. It's making money every month by just asking listeners to do the right thing and put down some cash towards something they love. While people give at patreon.com/thelapsedfan no one has to in order to listen. I'm happy to say that this podcast is truly a leader in the space. That is shown by our listeners (the solar system) every month.

Do I think my production is fancy? Yep, guilty as charged. I'm happy to say that people like Tyron Woodley, Ian McCall, Bruce Buffer, Jon Anik and Kenny Florian, Eric Bischoff, Bret Hart, and many other clients have enjoyed my work over the last 19 years I've spent in broadcasting.

None of my projects are "just a podcast," They're my passion. I'm very fortunate to pay my bills doing something that I truly love. The best part is getting to share it with people that enjoy it. I hope you and everyone at some point in their lives are able to find a way to make a living doing something that they're passionate about.

Here I agree with you. I love the content, but it's ridiculous for TJ to call himself an "audiophile" while putting out a decade's worth of episodes where Breen's voice cuts out all the time.

Thank you for being a patron Ben.

Jordan's issues are due to his use of skype to connect and his headset. While at Sherdog we discussed using an ISDN line for his appearances. Sadly, that was never in the budget. The shows (besides Collapsed) with Breen are done live. So, having him record his track and sending it to me for post-production is more often than not useless. I have discussed sending him a better interface. However, we have yet to do that mainly because Skype will still be the source of most of our issues.

Back