Beatdown after the bell behind paywall now? breen show is gone? is sherdog radio over?

koclem

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I liked these shows, this sucks. no way im paying $4 a month for beadown after the bell tho

UFC dying is becoming really real in 2018

That does suck. I really like Breen, not enough to pay though.

I haven't listened to Sherdog Radio in years. SO many better FREE options out there. They are always late on reporting news to the website also. This was my go to site 10 years ago

Yikes that’s going to be hard to get people to cough up money for that, especially with other doing post fight wrap ups now.

I think the Roundtables had pretty consistent quality because Jack still hosted most of them, but a lot of times Beatdown After the Bell would just be TJ and not Breen.

I used to enjoy listening to beat down but stopped a long time ago. Never would I pay for it.

Yes... i noticed it this week as well.

Was very dissapointed. Sherdog is dying yall

The same handful of listeners that used to call in religiously will probably pay. But like, it's just a podcast. Nobody should pay for podcasts. As fancy shmancy as TJ Desantis thinks his production is, he is kidding himself with this shit.

Yikes that’s going to be hard to get people to cough up money for that, especially with other doing post fight wrap ups now.

I think the Roundtables had pretty consistent quality because Jack still hosted most of them, but a lot of times Beatdown After the Bell would just be TJ and not Breen.
yea tj without jack or breen is pretty meh

Sherdog is in trouble because the entire MMA media landscape is contracting. Breen referenced this on twitter.

It is contracting because MMA itself is contracting. Hardcore fans are falling away because the UFC has tanked since WME started making decisions. Simultaneously, the media landscape as a whole remains extremely challenging as a business environment.

MMA media is now getting radically fewer clicks due to declining interest. Fewer clicks = less money = fewer journalists.

Crave, the owners of Sherdog, closed down the radio. They have also cut costs across the board in terms of salaries, written content, etc. This forum is what keeps Sherdog afloat.

Breen is now doing podcasts behind a paywall. Can’t see many people really being willing to stump up monthly cash. Considering that he knows more about MMA than any man alive, I hope he can get a good gig elsewhere.

The same handful of listeners that used to call in religiously will probably pay. But like, it's just a podcast. Nobody should pay for podcasts. As fancy shmancy as TJ Desantis thinks his production is, he is kidding himself with this shit.

I find TJ somewhat annoying. He lacks insight so can hardly purport to boast expertise worth paying for.

Heh I haven’t listened to sherdog radio in years. I think that is more due to my own waning interest than anything else. It’s not bad but I would have never listened to it if I’d had to pay first

The same handful of listeners that used to call in religiously will probably pay.

They have almost 400 paying patrons at this point, at a minimum of $4/month each.

But like, it's just a podcast. Nobody should pay for podcasts.

This is just bizarre to me. Jack Slack's pay episodes are amazing. Well worth the money to hear his research and insight, and not have to put up with ads or live endorsement reads. TJ's Patreon is $4 a month and worth it for Collapsed MMA alone.

As fancy shmancy as TJ Desantis thinks his production is, he is kidding himself with this shit.

Here I agree with you. I love the content, but it's ridiculous for TJ to call himself an "audiophile" while putting out a decade's worth of episodes where Breen's voice cuts out all the time.

I really like Breen but I quit listening because I just can’t stand TJ at all. He’s just an uninteresting guy that bores me to tears, reminds me of local sports radio with a bunch of bores sitting around beating the same topics into the ground with the occasional interjection about their uninteresting lives. At least Breen knows good music, movies and has more mma knowledge than anyone else I’ve ever heard talk about it. Definitely not paying to listen though

I really like Breen but I quit listening because I just can’t stand TJ at all. He’s just an uninteresting guy that bores me to tears, reminds me of local sports radio with a bunch of bores sitting around beating the same topics into the ground with the occasional interjection about their uninteresting lives. At least Breen knows good music, movies and has more mma knowledge than anyone else I’ve ever heard talk about it. Definitely not paying to listen though

<45> uninteresting lives is an understatement

Stopped listening to sherdog radio several years ago pretty much. Listened sometimes when Sherwood was on, but after they fired Sherdog from Sherdog I don't really think there was anybody likeable left. I guess Breen isn't bad, just not my type of show.
Jack had some really good shows also I should mention, great interviews and you could tell he really prepared and took his job seriously.

Remember hearing Savage and some other guy(not thinking off Sherwood right now) talking about hockey, NFL etc, TJ telling them to stop and them just laughing it off and keeping it up. It really was unprofessional IMO since it was advertised as an MMA show and hosted on an MMA website, and they were supposed to be "MMA journalists".

I get that it might be boring and maybe even bad to keep it all about MMA, talking a little about recent events or real life stuff is probably not only okay but also good.
In this case it was just rude and unprofessional though often times. Wasn't like a brief 30-120 sec breakdown of "the game" when something major happened. But just small talk for long periods of time, then openly challenging TJ when he tried to steer it towards MMA, petulant like a child trying to prove "you can't make me talk MMA, you are not the boss of me".

Most internet based content is garbage. Hardly anyone would be watching youtube if you had to pay a dime for any of that stuff.

Sherdog radio died when Sherwood and Savage left. Breen can't carry it on his own. Never liked TJ as a radio host, sure he is a good producer.

I used to like listening to Sherdog radio for Beatdown After The Bell and such, but no way would I pay for it. There are so many free MMA podcasts and post-fight wrap up shows that are as good or better.

Back