Be a man - take a stand! Platinum or Cowboy?!

View attachment 468007

Good evening Sherdog. Korolla speaking.

This weekend will see a sacrifice to the JUST BLEED GOD when Platinum Mike Perry and Cowboy Cerrone lock horns. This fight has FOTY written all over it.

While Perry is the betting favorite - as he should be - the veteran he’s facing got all kinds of tricks up his sleeve and a ton of experience. Cowboy is certainly not to be overlooked here.

Be a man - take a stand! Who will get his fist raised at the end of the battle? Whose blood-smeared face will show a big grin?

Can we get a poll for this one? @jei
Cerrone logically but more importantly...
giphy.gif

just-bleed-gif-2.gif

View attachment 468007

Good evening Sherdog. Korolla speaking.

This weekend will see a sacrifice to the JUST BLEED GOD when Platinum Mike Perry and Cowboy Cerrone lock horns. This fight has FOTY written all over it.

While Perry is the betting favorite - as he should be - the veteran he’s facing got all kinds of tricks up his sleeve and a ton of experience. Cowboy is certainly not to be overlooked here.

Be a man - take a stand! Who will get his fist raised at the end of the battle? Whose blood-smeared face will show a big grin?

Can we get a poll for this one? @jei

I got Cerrone, he's more versatile.

Going with Cowboy via experience and being more well rounded.

That said, Perry could sleep him. lol

Cerrone rarely gets slept, if ever. To beat Cowboy, you need to be either a technical boxer or simply a good body puncher, Perry is neither. The only way Perry wins is if Cerrone is really intimidated or shows he's at the age where he needs to retire.

As much of a dick he is, gotta go with Cerrone.

Leon Edwards, Till, Masvidal, and Robbie beg to differ as of late.

Okay, so Leon Edwards, Till, Masvidal, Robbie Lawler. Now lets compare that to the people Perry has recently lost to. Alan Jouban, Santiago Ponzinibio, Max Griffin. Only one of those names can compare, and barely at that.

I like both guys but Perry by 1st round TKO.

Cowboy got done dirty and he's more talented. Head kick ko of homer simpson rd 2.

I wonder how serious Perry has been since his win over Felder. If he’s been motivated and training hard, I think Perry wins.

Platinum GOAT.

I've been on this train since day one, ain't hopping off now.

I wonder how serious Perry has been since his win over Felder. If he’s been motivated and training hard, I think Perry wins.

Motivated Platinum, a legend is born.

I'm pulling for Cerrone to get it done but it could be a tough out. I haven't watched either guys' last fights in completion but I plan to before fight night.

When the fight was announced, my initial reaction was that Perry would KO Cerrone. Here's the thing, both guys have glaring holes in their games - both get hit a lot, both are pretty flat footed. Cowboy struggles with pressure; he struggles with guys with solid boxing, he has a hard time against southpaws. He can be overwhelmed and bullied, he doesn't take body shots well, his chin has perhaps regressed, he doesn't move his head or feet well (although he has made improvents to his head movement) but he has depth to his game; something that Mike Perry doesn't really have.

Perry is a dangerous in-fighter who has rocks for fists, and also can land elbows and knees and he works well in the clinch. Perry is much better in the pocket, whereas as Cerrone is limited to a step-in knee and doesn't really have much else. Perry's inside game coupled with a solid chin and power that doesn't regress could be enough to get it done. In a way, he sounds like a nightmare matchup for Cowboy, but Cerrone also has weapons that Mike Perry struggles to deal with. Cerrone is a very good kicker; the best Perry has faced. Cerrone has a reach advantage (something that Perry is used to coming up against) and sometimes his jab is servicable enough to work with when combined with his ability at range with his kicks. Cerrone has a solid straight right hand that has pop in it at 170 and I would say it's his best punch. Cerrone has the tools to be able to work from range effectively in this fight imo. Perry doesn't have a good jab from what I have seen.

In terms of grappling, Donald is miles ahead of Perry on the mat. When Cerrone first came to 170 he was shooting excellent takedowns. I think he can rake Perry down. His submissions are great and he could certainly sub Perry. Iirc, Perry even admitted Donald got the better of him in grappling during training.

I could see it going either way, but a smart Cerrone with a good gameplan can shut Perry's game down and finish him. Cerrone has a tendency to brawl though and this fight is personal. He has fallen apart in fights that are personal, although he did just happen to face stylistically challenging opponents in those fights, and stylistically challenging opponents who could implement their games better than Perry is able to and they had elite skills. If Cowboy brawls for prolonged periods of time then I expect him to get creamed.

I will settle on Cowboy. I think his prime has gone but he is a crafty veteran and he isn't a shot fighter imo. Mike Perry is entertaining but he will never be a leigitimate top 5 guy at 170, maybe not even a top 10 or top 15 guy. Stylistically they both cause each other problems. I feel it mainly comes down to what type of fight Cowboy gives Perry.

Cowboy via stoppage inside two rounds.

Heart says Cowboy, brain says Perry. I think Cowboy can be very stoppable for a guy like Perry.

Cowboy all day , but I'm apprehensive about his durability nowadays.

Last edited:
I'm pulling for Cerrone to get it done but it could be a tough out. I haven't watched either guys' last fights in completion but I plan to before fight night.

When the fight was announced, my initial reaction was that Perry would KO Cerrone. Here's the thing, both guys have glaring holes in their games - both get hit a lot, both are pretty flat footed. Cowboy struggles with pressure; he struggles with guys with solid boxing, he has a hard time against southpaws. He can be overwhelmed and bullied, he doesn't take body shots well, his chin has perhaps regressed, he doesn't move his head or feet well (although he has made improvents to his head movement) but he has depth to his game; something that Mike Perry doesn't really have.

Perry is a dangerous in-fighter who has rocks for fists, and also can land elbows and knees and he works well in the clinch. Perry is much better in the pocket, whereas as Cerrone is limited to a step-in knee and doesn't really have much else. Perry's inside game coupled with a solid chin and power that doesn't regress could be enough to get it done. In a way, he sounds like a nightmare matchup for Cowboy, but Cerrone also has weapons that Mike Perry struggles to deal with. Cerrone is a very good kicker; the best Perry has faced. Cerrone has a reach advantage (something that Perry is used to coming up against) and sometimes his jab is servicable enough to work with when combined with his ability at range with his kicks. Cerrone has a solid straight right hand that has pop in it at 170 and I would say it's his best punch. Cerrone has the tools to be able to work from range effectively in this fight imo. Perry doesn't have a good jab from what I have seen.

In terms of grappling, Donald is miles ahead of Perry on the mat. When Cerrone first came to 170 he was shooting excellent takedowns. I think he can rake Perry down. His submissions are great and he could certainly sub Perry. Iirc, Perry even admitted Donald got the better of him in grappling during training.

I could see it going either way, but a smart Cerrone with a good gameplan can shut Perry's game down and finish him. Cerrone has a tendency to brawl though and this fight is personal. He has fallen apart in fights that are personal, although he did just happen to face stylistically challenging opponents in those fights, and stylistically challenging opponents who could implement their games better than Perry is able to and they had elite skills. If Cowboy brawls for prolonged periods of time then I expect him to get creamed.

I will settle on Cowboy. I think his prime has gone but he is a crafty veteran and he isn't a shot fighter imo. Mike Perry is entertaining but he will never be a leigitimate top 5 guy at 170, maybe not even a top 10 or top 15 guy. Stylistically they both cause each other problems. I feel it mainly comes down to what type of fight Cowboy gives Perry.

Cowboy via stoppage inside two rounds.
Great analysis. I'd like to add, Cerrone did pretty good against Robbie who is a Southpaw. When he's on, he's as game as they come. I hope he's focused enough to stay sharp and get the win.

Last edited:
I have disliked Cowboy forever. I think he’s a solid fighter, but I can not stand his personality (aside from the fact that he will fight whoever whenever, which I respect a ton).

I’ve warmed up to Mike over the last year or so and would consider myself a fan because I like guys who come to fight. Grappling can still be fun and full of action, but, there’s somethin kinda fun about a guy who just wants to go out and KO mother fuckers. I respect that.

With all that said, I really hope Cowboy gets the job done this weekend. PMP should win in my honest opinion, Cowboy can’t take the shots PMP throws, but, this whole thing between Jackson-Wink/Cowboy, Mike just trashing Ray Borg etc, got me rootin for Cowboy somehow all of a sudden.

I’m sure by fight night i’ll Be back to rootin for PMP, or maybe a double KO, but this is a weird one for me.

Back