BCAAs??

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by tdluxon, Jan 26, 2017.

1. tdluxon Black Belt

tdluxon
    I have been hearing a lot that taking bcaa pre-workout works well, especially when fasting... Has anyone tried them? Thoughts?

2. Bekim Blue Belt

Bekim
    Just do a little search, plenty of threads on the subject.......

3. Codger Brown Belt

Codger
    In my experience no noticeable advantage. Might just be worth doing if you're trying to minimise catabolism whilst training fasted but then you could of course not train fasted.

They never seem to dissolve properly so make for an unpleasant drink and give me terrible stomach ache so not worth it for me.

Bear in mind that just about every supplement known to man, including plenty that 100% do not work, "work well" according to some people so I wouldn't go on that.

7even, tdluxon and Bekim like this.
  4. Bekim Blue Belt

Bekim
    Just consume plenty of protein during your feed period.......maybe look for types that are broken down slower than things like whey, there will be plenty of amino acids floating around for your body to use.

5. MisterHappy White Belt

MisterHappy
    The only difference I've notcied with my BCAAs (taken either just prior to MT work or during lifting/conditioning) is help with recovery time. My soreness isn't quite as bad and doesn't last quite as long. I'm old though so what used to be brief soreness isn't so brief anymore and this has helped a bit. I wouldn't expect miracles.

6. RevXwise Green Belt

RevXwise
    BCAAs are basically protein, which is basically food. This means you have to take a lot of scoops of the stuff to really notice a difference. The main benefit it has over food is the fact that it has 0 calories, so it is best utilized on some sort of caloric deficit or fasted state.

I use BCAAs when I'm trying to lose weight while being active, and I only really notice a difference when I'm taking like 5 scoops of the stuff a day. If you're trying for maintenance or weight gain, then regular food is by far a better and cheaper method.

7. GigEm White Belt

GigEm
    Dolce said to take his protein and its got BCAAs and more.

8. Saint Of The K Green Belt

Saint Of The K
    Zero kcals in BCAAs? Man, don't post shit like that without checking first!
    Not sure how big your scoops are, but assuming around 10g, that's 50g/day of BCAAs. Around 200kcal. I would expect that makes quite a difference in terms of macros and overall calories.

frango likes this.
  9. ssBaldy Green Belt

ssBaldy
    For me BCAAs work just fine when I can't afford to eat and then go train in a couple of hours. I take some BCAAs 40 mins before trsining and don't feel depleted.
    Also, my friend used to add a bit of liquid BCAAs in his water he drank during the workout and said it helped a lot.

tdluxon likes this.
  10. frango Blue Belt

frango
    i have been using BCAAs lately.

during rolling in bjj classes. Just 5grams. Since i only eat something solid about 2 hour after class i think its a good idea because it contributes to growth hormone release. But i am not sure about this, i only have heard something from a bodybuilder. Anybody know something about this?

i do use 5 grams during lifting sessions too. I dont feel fatigued despite its a relative demanding routine.

People diss BCAA because it is does not do wonders like the supplement industry advertise. But BCAAs are just small pieces of protein so..i wont hurt you(except if you take huge amounts of it)

I use powder form only. With water.