Battletech/mechwarrior turnbase game: if you like Xcom then check this out

Yeah, those are rough, at least you can cheese them a bit and hope for less brutal loadouts in the random missions. I'd love an Ironman mode in this game, though I feel like I'm not as big a masochist as I was in the X-Com or Battle Brothers days.

I rerolled the map and got less stalkers to deal with.. but there was a king crab instead.

I ended up doing awesome though. Incapacitated the pilots on two awesomes, a stalker, and a banshee.

My Banshee took a ton of damage, but only lost his left arm and torso. He was crucial in taking care of the Awesomes and Banshee by punching them around while the rest of my lance shot them up.

Unfortunately I only had 3 salvage slots and got boned on my rolls so I didn't get a single mech out of it.

Assaults in general need to play more aggressive. Their melee attacks are so good. Getting in close helps deal with the LRM spam too.

Move forward shooting till you're nearly overheated, engage in melee and shoot knocked down enemies. Banshees are really good in that role. They don't have much firepower to begin with so if you lose your weapons, oh well, you're supposed to be getting close, drawing fire, and punching mechs in the dick.

Story mission? I had a hell of a time with a few of them, especially the first Smithton one with the ammo dumps.

That wasnt too bad when I noticed I could blow two ammo dumps without negative outcome, just waited until enemy mechs were near them. One vehicle did escape though.

That wasnt too bad when I noticed I could blow two ammo dumps without negative outcome, just waited until enemy mechs were near them. One vehicle did escape though.
I was a little underpowered for the Dragon at the time, and the AI really tried to avoid them it seemed. I was actually saved by my Firestarter, I just stuck a bunch of MGs on it and ran it around popping vehicles, turrets, and an ammo dump at the beginning to kill the Locust, Firestarter, and two turrets. The big mechs in the back wasted a lot of shots trying to kill it too.

Lost my interest near the end here.

Combat is just way too tedious later in the game. LRM spamming knockdowns while the AI is outnumbering you 2:1 with assault mechs every map.

It's doable, but just tedious.

It gets really annoying when they blow up my irreplaceable Gauss Rifle on the last few turns...

This game did inspire me to pickup MechWarrior Online again. That game is great still. Best world-of-tanks-like out there, imo.

Finished the main story. Some thoughts:
1. It got somewhat repetitive at the end

2. Game has some memory leak problems causing it to slow down after some playtime, better to restart every now and then

3. Save system sucks by creating a new save everytime, it also slows down load game screen, I had to turn off cloud sync from steam and manually delete 300+ save game files to speed things up

4. Jump jets are your friend, I slap at least 3 on every mech, assault mechs can actually jump further than their normal move-action takes them and you can position your mech freely

5. Melee is a bit useless unless you're down to last 1-3 mechs, otherwise rushing forward to smash them causes you to get missile spammed down and then killed by other mechs.

6. I found grasshopper heavy mech to be quite durable and agile. I had one on the very last mission and it held up on its own.

7. Towards the end of the game I had atlas, highlander , battlemaster and that grasshopper as a main team.

8. By not being able to buy those gauss rifles etc the game really encourages save spamming, I would take the replacement / time cost but being at the mercy of random number generator, no thanks.

9. Fun was had.

QZs5yjc.png

Yeah, I jump on for a mission now and then, basically just flying around to 5 skull areas and murdering a bunch of Assault mechs, got almost 30 mill in the bank and I don't really know what to do. Guess I'll put it on the "DLC Sooner or Later" shelf with Vermintide 2.

I've been playing it and it's a good start to a battletech turn based pc franchise. Hopefully they continue on with it and add more features as the game feels really bare bones. It really made me want to play mechcommander again.

I've been playing it and it's a good start to a battletech turn based pc franchise. Hopefully they continue on with it and add more features as the game feels really bare bones. It really made me want to play mechcommander again.

Mechcommander was better.

Good game but no end game at all.

Needs a ton of stuff that could easily be added like SL tech via workshop mods.

Seems like Clans are way off on the horizon.

Mechcommander was better.

Good game but no end game at all.

Needs a ton of stuff that could easily be added like SL tech via workshop mods.

Seems like Clans are way off on the horizon.

Locking it in to only one lance is a huge bummer. It feels more like a test platform than a fully realized game. But it's a good test platform that they can certainly build upon.

Clans come in at 3049 and it's 3025 during this game.

Locking it in to only one lance is a huge bummer. It feels more like a test platform than a fully realized game. But it's a good test platform that they can certainly build upon.

Clans come in at 3049 and it's 3025 during this game.

Ain’t shit happen until clans apart from Federated Commonwealth and 4th War. Which is same old same old in terms of tech and mechs.

Add a random fight over a cache with an Atlas II or Crab, double heat sinks, gauss rifles... not too hard to program in.

Ain’t shit happen until clans apart from Federated Commonwealth and 4th War. Which is same old same old in terms of tech and mechs.

They could easily make an expansion campaign and have you play as ComStar. Introduce Star League stuff and hype up the eventual battle of Tukayyid, which they should eventually make into a game. They made a completely new faction for this game so they can tell whatever stories they want.

They could easily make an expansion campaign and have you play as ComStar. Introduce Star League stuff and hype up the eventual battle of Tukayyid, which they should eventually make into a game. They made a completely new faction for this game so they can tell whatever stories they want.

I like being a merc. Comstar would be so OP. Good idea though.

Being reading some Battletech novels.

Avoid Sword and Dagger like a crack ho.

Bit off-topic, but I read this week it's been delayed till June 2019. MAJOR bummer.
Yeah, watched his video on Facebook the other day. Already ordered my copy, so I guess I'm locked in, I'm torn between hoping the extra time creates a fulfilling experience and being afraid that every day that goes past makes success less likely. I bitch about games being released too early, like Battletech and Vermintide 2, so I should probably be happy. But it was also the only game I'm looking forward to now that those two games were meh.

Yeah, watched his video on Facebook the other day. Already ordered my copy, so I guess I'm locked in, I'm torn between hoping the extra time creates a fulfilling experience and being afraid that every day that goes past makes success less likely. I bitch about games being released too early, like Battletech and Vermintide 2, so I should probably be happy. But it was also the only game I'm looking forward to now that those two games were meh.

Vermintide 2 is meh? Was gonna get it for ps4 when it eventually came out, really, really liked the first one as a timekiller game.

Vermintide 2 is meh? Was gonna get it for ps4 when it eventually came out, really, really liked the first one as a timekiller game.
If you liked the first one you'll probably like this one, for the price it's decent. I put ~200 hours into the first one and about that much into the second already, it's just been plagued with bugs, glitches, and imbalances. It was pretty clearly released too early and they decided they'd fix some things later. But every fix seems to make a new set of bugs. If you can get it for 30 bucks or less it's probably a good buy, combat is fun as ever, they just really needed a little more content on Day 1.

Back