Battles of posture + positioning:

Nice. I'm sure as you get used to it you will feel much better down the line.

Sinister, what are your thoughts on Rigondeaux's posture and positioning?

I don't know what else to say other than that both are good.

If you guys want to see how horrible it can get with POOR posture AND poor positioning, check out this recent Title bout:

Look what keeps happening to both guys because their heads area ALWAYS the closest things to each other, and they couldn't get anymore on the front foot if they tried.

Alright, I'm using this in a Bloody Basics piece for BE. I literally cannot find a worse example of stance than this fight. Lordy.

Unless you're opposite a guy like me.
I can never drop a guy with a liver shot , even with a full on bang or putting myself in a wide open view position to bang it.
I've bruised guys ribs , packed them up but never penetrated the liver with my left.
Dropped guys with my right hand though (straights , hooks , uppercuts) which is odd.

:(

I've given up by now. I just use it to set up that left upper or hook.

Maybe where you're aiming isn't where the liver is? Could be all kinds of things from not enough commitment to how you're doing the left hook. One thing to note could be your body is more gear towards internal rotation. I remember you telling me you were more of a thin and short arm guy so you couldn't fight like Winky and Quartey. Perhaps not enough angle on the hook?

Maybe where you're aiming isn't where the liver is? Could be all kinds of things from not enough commitment to how you're doing the left hook. One thing to note could be your body is more gear towards internal rotation. I remember you telling me you were more of a thin and short arm guy so you couldn't fight like Winky and Quartey. Perhaps not enough angle on the hook?

More than likely its my aim.
Tony says I just haven't "found" the spot yet but once it happens I'll never forget .....kinda like with my right.

I'm thin guy but I do NOT have short arms :icon_lol:

Think Mark Breland.

Maybe it's because my hook at point of impact is level rather than scooping up.
Guys are pretty short to me.

It doesn't overly bother me much.
Not any tall lanky boxers who had a wicked left to the body.
Tommy Hearns had one but he never used it much at WW / where guys were a lot shorter.

Anyone notice the positioning difference between the first and second Rios vs Alvarado fights? In the first one I saw Rios at a superior angle on the inside where he was in a great position to land lefthooks. On the outside, it allowed him to land right hands. Alvarado couldn't get leverage to punch effective from this position.

In the recent fight, Mike didn't let him get that positioning on the inside by constantly pushing him (and taking away leverage) and holding Rios' arms at times. On the outside, he of course used better lateral movement.

More than likely its my aim.
Tony says I just haven't "found" the spot yet but once it happens I'll never forget .....kinda like with my right.

I'm thin guy but I do NOT have short arms :icon_lol:

Think Mark Breland.

Maybe it's because my hook at point of impact is level rather than scooping up.
Guys are pretty short to me.

It doesn't overly bother me much.
Not any tall lanky boxers who had a wicked left to the body.
Tommy Hearns had one but he never used it much at WW / where guys were a lot shorter.

My guess is you're left hook isn't hard enough, maybe there is something in your mechanics where you're not transferring enough weight or don't have enough outside knee rotation.

Back