Batsugan in Osaka: anyone do this?

Kbits

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
So, I'm in a bit of a pickle with the NGB here. I've just retorn my ACL (and then some) prepping for Oz Nationals. In the course of closely looking at the rules and regs, I came across some info on the points system minutiae here for the JFA that blew my mind.

Apparently, none of my wins at masters M2 level (up to and including medalling at nationals) count for points towards Shodan. Ok, fine...I acknowledge that fighting with other 40yr olds doesn't make me the next Inoue...but to not have it count for points at all? How does that promote life long retention of adults in judo?

I don't have time or patience to sit on committees or do refereeing on the weekend. (To top it off, we have about 2 shiai a year here; the next nearest comps are 4500km across the country...which I have been told may not count towards points anyway, as there is some sort of metro vs country / state vs state exclusion bullshit).

We are also the only state to *not* have Batsugan.

Frankly, I'm over NGB politics.

I know Onq use to to do 3 week camps in Osaka, where you could fly in, train with his guys and then fight batsugan at Osaka Kodokan. Has anyone from here done this? Onq, do you still post here, man? You have any guys that have come through and ranked up to Shodan and beyond via camps?

Last edited:
Hum.

I heard foreigner no longer qualify for the shodan via batsugun.

Something about you need to reside in Japan for one year.

The story (as I heard it) was that the local NGB won't accept your rank without that stipulation. However, your rank (gained from the Kodokan, FFS) is perfectly valid elsewhere.

If I fight in a Kodokan batsugan and win, how is that any less 'real' than if I get it for sitting on an executive committee for 5 years?

Can anyone confirm story about the 1 year thing?

Last edited:
Funny you mentioned it because everyone was just getting by via a technical loophole to get "adopted" by a local Japanese club to endorse them for shodan batsugun.

Until an Aussie created havoc and spoiled it for everyone.

I heard foreigner no longer qualify for the shodan via batsugun.

Something about you need to reside in Japan for one year.
Anyone qualify for shodan batsugun.
The certificate for shodan though, can be received after a documented year of training here.

So, I'm in a bit of a pickle with the NGB here. I've just retorn my ACL (and then some) prepping for Oz Nationals. In the course of closely looking at the rules and regs, I came across some info on the points system minutiae here for the JFA that blew my mind.

Apparently, none of my wins at masters M2 level (up to and including medalling at nationals) count for points towards Shodan. Ok, fine...I acknowledge that fighting with other 40yr olds doesn't make me the next Inoue...but to not have it count for points at all? How does that promote life long retention of adults in judo?

I don't have time or patience to sit on committees or do refereeing on the weekend. (To top it off, we have about 2 shiai a year here; the next nearest comps are 4500km across the country...which I have been told may not count towards points anyway, as there is some sort of metro vs country / state vs state exclusion bullshit).

We are also the only state to *not* have Batsugan.

Frankly, I'm over NGB politics.

I know Onq use to to do 3 week camps in Osaka, where you could fly in, train with his guys and then fight batsugan at Osaka Kodokan. Has anyone from here done this? Onq, do you still post here, man? You have any guys that have come through and ranked up to Shodan and beyond via camps?
Yes, I am still doing the camps.
Contact me directly through my website or on FB for details, please.

Funny you mentioned it because everyone was just getting by via a technical loophole to get "adopted" by a local Japanese club to endorse them for shodan batsugun.

Until an Aussie created havoc and spoiled it for everyone.
I wouldnt say its a loophole- its just that the system for getting a shodan in Japan is different from the rest of the world.
Getting a shodan is not really important in Japan.
Thats just a start in the japanese judo.
2nd dan and above though, are quite hard to get, because the people who compete as 1st dan are university teams (essentially people on judo scholarship) and quite seasoned competitors in their prime - one of the guys in my dojo has won international competitions and is still a 1st dan.
2nd dan requires at least 10 wins against 1st dans, if within a year and a half from the 1st dan.
I believe a student of yours have been trying for over a year of competitions, and finally got his second dan a few months ago.
3rd dan in Japan is already something that is credited highly...

We might be talking about the same thing.
With visually slight, but actually huge difference.
Nothing in the rules was changed. Foreigners have always been allowed to batsugun tournaments, if registered with a local club.
As for certification, the rules havent been changed.
Its just the ignorance of one man, who decided that he could use a system, without knowing very well what he is doing. I met the guy just a day before my departure for camps, seminars and championships in Europe.
Was surprised to hear about his actions and sad to learn about the embarrassment he caused for well respected people in the judo community.

I wouldnt say its a loophole- its just that the system for getting a shodan in Japan is different from the rest of the world.
Getting a shodan is not really important in Japan.
Thats just a start in the japanese judo.
2nd dan and above though, are quite hard to get, because the people who compete as 1st dan are university teams (essentially people on judo scholarship) and quite seasoned competitors in their prime - one of the guys in my dojo has won international competitions and is still a 1st dan.
2nd dan requires at least 10 wins against 1st dans, if within a year and a half from the 1st dan.
I believe a student of yours have been trying for over a year of competitions, and finally got his second dan a few months ago.
3rd dan in Japan is already something that is credited highly...

Actually he is not my student. He is my sempai as he started training Bjj before I did and we been training together for over 15 years. But yes, after getting his Bjj bb, we run a Bjj club together for the past 5 years and he is now a nidan and the reason why we fuse judo into our Bjj program and we cross train so much. He will be back in Japan with other bb from our sister judo club in mid June. To be honest, I should go as well and they invited so many time ad well. Look foward to meet you.

When I first became a black belt, they made me earn it by competing. But the only way I could get any points towards it was to win by ippon in around 10 matches.

Actually he is not my student. He is my sempai as he started training Bjj before I did and we been training together for over 15 years. But yes, after getting his Bjj bb, we run a Bjj club together for the past 5 years and he is now a nidan and the reason why we fuse judo into our Bjj program and we cross train so much. He will be back in Japan with other bb from our sister judo club in mid June. To be honest, I should go as well and they invited so many time ad well. Look foward to meet you.
Always welcome.
I have my own gym now, where we mix it all- BJJ, sambo, combat wrestling and lots of strength and conditioning.
Organizing competitions as well, so if you let me know in advance, can get you guys to participate

Back