Basing a program around pull ups, dips, and squats

jacketwrestler1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Okay, it's been a little while since I posted. I've been pretty busy with college wrestling. I do have a small problem now though. The strength and conditioning coach for some reason has a pretty big hard on for crossfit style workouts and won't let me use the athletic weight room at any other times besides, what is designated for the wrestling team. This really limits what I'm able to do although I can use the "Fitness Center" which consists of about 15 treadmills four smith machines, dumbells up to 75 pounds, and a couple pull up and dip bars. I'm also able to head home on sundays to get a decent squat workout in so I was thinking of setting up a program like this.

Tuesday:Weighted Dips 5x5
Arnold Press 3x15
Chest Flies 3x20
Hanging Leg Raises 3xfailure

Thursday: Weighted Pull Ups 5x5
Kroc Rows 3x15
Curls 3x20

Sunday: Front Squat 3x5 and 3x1 heavy singles at about 95%
Sumo Deadlifts 3x3
Walking Lunges 3x20

Yes, I realize this is less than optimal but, it's what I have to work with. Any advice or critiques are appreciated.

Last edited:
You say he won't let you use the athletic weight room outside of wrestling team time. How about the regular gym for the other college students? Is that the Fitness Centre you described?

Shitty situation.

You say he won't let you use the athletic weight room outside of wrestling team time. How about the regular gym for the other college students? Is that the Fitness Centre you described?

Shitty situation.

yeah, that's why I'm in this situation. I have no issue doing crossfit workouts but, when I asked if I could come in later to put some extra work in he went on a 15 min. rant about how I shouldn't have the energy to do that if I was working out hard enough, I was doing exercises incorrectly etc.

Okay, it's been a little while since I posted. I've been pretty busy with college wrestling. I do have a small problem now though. The strength and conditioning coach for some reason has a pretty big hard on for crossfit style workouts and won't let me use the athletic weight room at any other times besides, what is designated for the wrestling team. This really limits what I'm able to do although I can use the "Fitness Center" which consists of about 15 treadmills four smith machines, dumbells up to 75 pounds, and a couple pull up and dip bars. I'm also able to head home on sundays to get a decent squat workout in so I was thinking of setting up a program like this.

Tuesday:Weighted Dips 5x5
Arnold Press 3x15
Chest Flies 3x20
Hanging Leg Raises 3xfailure

Thursday: Weighted Pull Ups 5x5
Kroc Rows 3x15
Curls 3x20

Sunday: Front Squat 3x5 and 3x1 heavy singles at about 95%
Sumo Deadlifts 3x3
Walking Lunges 3x20

Yes, I realize this is less than optimal but, it's what I have to work with. Any advice or critiques are appreciated.

Could you not use a 5/3/1 style instead? Either based around dips or DB bench? And even a DB over head press and the Deadlift/Front squat? And Boring but big as assistance. I don't know an awful lot about 5/3/1 but maybe something like..

A
DB bench press/Dips 5/3/1
Weighted Dips/DB Bench/ 5x10
DB rows 5x10

B
Deadlift 5/3/1
Front squats/walking lunges 5x10
SLDL/Good mornings 5x10
Leg raises 5x10

C
DB Over head press/Pullups (weighted) 5/3/1
Pullups/DB OHP 5x10
Some tricep/bicep work 5x10.

Could you not use a 5/3/1 style instead? Either based around dips or DB bench? And even a DB over head press and the Deadlift/Front squat? And Boring but big as assistance. I don't know an awful lot about 5/3/1 but maybe something like..

A
DB bench press/Dips 5/3/1
Weighted Dips/DB Bench/ 5x10
DB rows 5x10

B
Deadlift 5/3/1
Front squats/walking lunges 5x10
SLDL/Good mornings 5x10
Leg raises 5x10

C
DB Over head press/Pullups (weighted) 5/3/1
Pullups/DB OHP 5x10
Some tricep/bicep work 5x10.

Yeah, I'm not a really big fan of 5/3/1 I felt like it helped my rep maxes but, my actual 1 rep maxes suffered. Also, the dumbells don't go up high enough to really do a dumbell bench for anything but assistance.

I don't know anything about how college wrestling is setup, but I would have imagined that at a D1 college they would go for lifting programmes that included high intensity work and structured progression at least some of the time.

Re: your programme, it's got an upper-body push, an upper-body pull and squats, and you're going to go heavy with all of them. So I don't see how it can be that bad. The assistance may not be the greatest, but I would have thought it would still make you stronger.

I guess my only thought is that it might be good to mix up the assistance from time to time. Choose one exercise, do it for a while until you're notably stronger (or can do a lot more reps if it's the maximum weight) and then move on to another. If you can choose ones that have some link to a weak spot in a main lift (which I know might not be easy given your narrow choice of equipment), all the better.

Back