Basic instructing for first time students

Davis "Badzooka" Badzik

Amateur Fighter
@Blue
Reaction score
So, it's been years since I've been on this site.

I haven't competed in years either, but nowadays I'm an instructor. Sometimes I'm asked to cover the main Muay Thai class and often have a hard time figuring out what to teach students if it's their first week or day at the gym. What are some beginner friendly kickboxing/muay thai techniques that both new students would feel like they learned from as well as benefitting regulars/future competitors?

Thanks in advance!

I haven't competed in years either, but nowadays I'm an instructor. Sometimes I'm asked to cover the main Muay Thai class and often have a hard time figuring out what to teach students if it's their first week or day at the gym. What are some beginner friendly kickboxing/muay thai techniques that both new students would feel like they learned from as well as benefitting regulars/future competitors?

Thanks in advance!
I helped my coach out teaching some beginners in muay thai. The guy I was teaching knew the basic jab and cross, so we worked on the the catch, which he was really glad to learn. We did it dutch style, where you take turns firing off punches and catching them, then returning fire. Either I'm a good teacher or he was a good student because he picked up fast.

Im of the opinion that if its a mixed class than it should be trail by fire and the new students should have to pick up as they go. If its specifically a beginners class then I would cater to beginners.

Thanks in advance!
Its really shitty sometimes, but you have to show them fancy stuff to keep them around. My problem when my coach had me teach classes was that I'd teach them stuff based on a fighter's perspective, and the issue was they'd get bored. Turns out people don't like to do footwork and 1,2 for 1h everyday.

Its got to the point where we'd have to show them spinning elbows or slip ,3,2, kick to keep them interested, so they won't bail the gym.

Back