Bas Ruttens weird hook punch

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why does Rutten throw it in this sub-optimal way? Has it to do with the fact that one of the variants is bare knuckle and he wants to be able to throw them with comparable effort?

PS: Don't give a fuck about the test.

Why does Rutten throw it in this sub-optimal way? Has it to do with the fact that one of the variants is bare knuckle and he wants to be able to throw them with comparable effort?

What about his hook is "sub-optimal"

Sub-optimal.....
<Bottle.gif>

Is that the shovel hook video? Didn't watch it again.

Watched it a while back.

Pivoting is just a way they get new boxers to engage their whole body into a punch, its not compulsory once you get to a certain level.

Secondly it allowed bas and many others to combine same side hooks and uppercuts together. Something he is very fond of

Pivoting is just a way they get new boxers to engage their whole body into a punch, its not compulsory once you get to a certain level.

Secondly it allowed bas and many others to combine same side hooks and uppercuts together. Something he is very fond of

So you really think this variant is more powerful?

Maybe, maybe not. I'm saying it doesn't really matter. If you engage your core and have proper technique it will get the job done, having a bit extra power will not make a difference. It will only hinder same side hooking, which might not be a big part of your game but, the option is still there if you need it.

Yes. Why does he throw that one instead of sinking in and pivoting like a regular hook
It isn't more powerful, but you can aim for anatomically more vulnerable structures - like the liver.

The liver sometimes (not in everyone) dips down slightly below the ribs. It is vulnerable because you can cause someone to faint if you hit them there very hard.

It would seem to work better for bare knuckle, where he could dig his knuckles into the body to inflict more pain.

But other than that, a hook thrown the traditional way, should have more penetrative force, and have less chance of breaking your own hand/arm.

He's using his right hand and he's not in southpaw stance so he can't do any type of "correct hook", regardless, that way

He's throwing his own sort of windup haymaker

There's a lot of telegraph to it but he's not worried about that because all they are testing is force

He's using his right hand and he's not in southpaw stance so he can't do any type of "correct hook", regardless, that way

He's throwing his own sort of windup haymaker

There's a lot of telegraph to it but he's not worried about that because all they are testing is force
i'm always telling people that there is no such thing as a right hook unless your a southpaw. it was called a sweeping right and was frowned on.

i'm always telling people that there is no such thing as a right hook unless your a southpaw. it was called a sweeping right and was frowned on.

Ah so that's the term, thank you

Yeah if you try that on an opponent who isn't a complete braindead punchingbag you're going to spin out of control when you miss, which you will because anyone but someone who's already out on their feet is going to see it coming what feels like years before you're even halfway to completing it. Super high risk with a lesser reward (greatly lessened chance of landing, destabilized, and easily capitalized on by most opponents)

Ah so that's the term, thank you

Yeah if you try that on an opponent who isn't a complete braindead punchingbag you're going to spin out of control when you miss, which you will because anyone but someone who's already out on their feet is going to see it coming what feels like years before you're even halfway to completing it. Super high risk with a lesser reward (greatly lessened chance of landing, destabilized, and easily capitalized on by most opponents)

You clearly don't understand its application.

If there is no other "hook" besides the one with your lead arm, then why does Foreman say "left hook" speaking of Joe Frazier, an orthodox fighter. It would be redundant to say left if that's the case.

Last edited:
The right hook is a real punch. Just not something you would land in boxing unless your opponent is shelled up.

Mighty mouse vs joe b is a good example of an effective right hook, along with rda vs Alvarez.

I have also seen mayweather jr throw a jab + right hook combo 3 times in a row in a fight, but his opponent was shelled up

The right hook is a real punch. Just not something you would land in boxing unless your opponent is shelled up.

Mighty mouse vs joe b is a good example of an effective right hook, along with rda vs Alvarez.

I have also seen mayweather jr throw a jab + right hook combo 3 times in a row in a fight, but his opponent was shelled up

Well yeah.. If I have a guy on the ropes, of course I can throw a right hook. I don't know what those guys have been smoking.

Back