Bas Rutten stance

Obviously there are some advantages to a squared stance there is a reason boxers and kickboxers have different stances there isn't one correct answer.

But it has to be said that Bas was never the most technical boxer he wasn#t a bad boxer because he knew his attributees, used them well and the basic things he did do he did them well.
But staying ont he ball of your rear foot is boxing 101 it's textbook boxing you teach every beginner in 99.999999% of all cases not sure any good trainer teaches anything different.

His opinion that regular jabs aren't worth it is also.....interesting and there are few if any high level boxer who share that opinion.

What he did was list some of the advantages of a squared stance but there are also disadvantages to it and advantages to a blades stance. He's trying hard to sell it as the one true answer.

Also him using Tyson as an example ebcause Tyson didnt get hit to the body that much: Tyson was a 5'10 HW with his elbows tucked to his body nearly all the time and real power and speed so hardly the most desirable target for 6'3 guys to go to the body to

Ideally a squared stance has these positions and negatives:

Pros:
- better for checking leg kicks
- better for throwing leg kicks
- better for throwing elbows
- more powerful jab and hook
- faster punches and combinations

Cons:
- leave more surface area to the body
- punches may be faster but the hyper-extention of your arms will be shorter, thus your punches will not have the same reach they would have had in a bladed stance
- limits head movement

As you can see, if you are a boxer and only a boxer then the traditional bladed stance is most definitely the better option, as you do not need to worry about kicks or elbows, and it better defends the body and allows for greater head movement.

If it's MMA or kickboxing/Muay-Thai, you can play around with it a bit. No fighter uses exactly one stance. Sometimes, a cross between multiple stances is the best route, especially in MMA.

I personally like the squared stance, but I will also transition into a slightly bladed stance at times too.

His opinion that regular jabs aren't worth it is also.....interesting and there are few if any high level boxer who share that opinion.

Discipulus doesn't post here anymore, but I recall in his podcast him saying "Bas Rutten is wrong about a lot of things, and the jab is one of them"

I think Bas is great and I'd love to work with him, but Bas' striking wasn't really as technical as people make out. It was more for the time he was great and the rules he usually fought under forced him to hit to the body.

If anything though, I love how he would happily teep far better grapplers and actually beat them with it.

I think Bas relied on power shots mostly because he had minimal takedown defense back when he was competing at a high level in MMA.

Back