Bas Rutten says that Jon Jones is a dirty fighter

I'll take #1, #4, and #7

I don't care how douchey he is. Just take some fights against bigger guys to see how good he is. And stop poking people in the eyes would be cool.

100% agreement and cosigned whilst seconding and huzzah.

He carries himself out to be like an elder statesmen of the group and Frank's some wet behind the ears sports journalist turned commentary analyst who needs his patriarchal guidance. It could just be the dynamic of the crew but if I was Frank I would remind Pat of my legendary career from time to time just to remind him who the f*** I am.

Is it a vibe or does he make any kind of comments that are real like left field?

Yeah I would def put Franks career in front of Pats for sure, not by a huge margain though.

One of MMA's best personalities. All class.

I can't believe Jones has defenders for the bullshit finger game he does. As if measuring out with his fingers is so crucial to his game that if he had to make a fist he'd start loosing... just ridiculous when it clearly facilitates eye pokes.

I agree to the point that I'll stop rooting for him.

I like Bones Jones and think he is the #1 PFP fighter right now.

However, I agree w/ Basito.

I wouldn't put a positive test for pain killers on the same level as roids or other performance enhancers.

How did I not know he got popped for something banned? Painkillers? Those are totallt ped's dude.

Is it a vibe or does he make any kind of comments that are real like left field?

Yeah I would def put Franks career in front of Pats for sure, not by a huge margain though.

The PBP is usually done by Quadros or Renallo I believe, and two color guys from time to time which would be Frank (sometimes) and Pat and it seems like Pat makes sure he gets the last words in and it's usually condescending as in I have to rebut your thought 'cause it's of less value regardless of its merit every time.

I mean what is wrong with give and take commentary? I love the FOX NFL Sunday Pregame Set 'cause no one talks over the other and each's talking point holds as much merit as the next so there are little to no oneupsmanship going on during the hour set. And when there is a debate/disagreement you sense zero condescension because they are of equal credentials: Hall of Famers.

With the Militech/Shamrock/Renallo dynamic Pat seems to assert his front running status and Frank's just a sounding board. That's why when Frank doesn't commentate, I feel more relieved for him not having to deal with the subtle condescension from Militech every time.

Last edited:
None of this contradicts anything I said. Yes, you can find pics of his hands/fingers in peoples faces and covering their eyes in basically every fight. And yes, he poked Glover. Nothing I said denies any of these things.

His "probability of a poke" is apparently lower than people think, because actual pokes are rare.

your (rather strange) point is Jones covering mostly their faces and only having done 2 eye pokes. this is both wrong and doesn't make him a clean fighter if it were right, since you have to have a close fist while measuring to prevent eye pokes, which the referees constantly remind him. him missing an eye by an inch and randomly hitting their eyes doesn't make his style less dirty. besides, what's the purpose of touching their cheeks? you think he fingers their cheeks on purpose?

Bas knows! Jones is some times a dirty fighter, eith his eye poking. But in the same time, he's an incredible athlete.
As someone mentioned before, why doesn't confrontate a journalist him with that subject.

Thats all I really want.

In a perfect world the epic boo man from UFC 170 would be at every Jones fight.

He can be whatever the hell he chooses personality wise, just fight fair/clean.

He is. Thought that was common knowledge at this point.

The PBP is usually done by Quadros or Renallo I believe, and two color guys from time to time which would be Frank (sometimes) and Pat and it seems like Pat makes sure he gets the last words in and it's usually condescending as in I have to rebut your thought 'cause it's of less value regardless of its merit every time.

I mean what is wrong with give and take commentary? I love the FOX NFL Sunday Pregame Set 'cause no one talks over the other and each's talking point holds as much merit as the next so there are little to no oneupsmanship going on during the hour set. And when there is a debate/disagreement you sense zero condescension because they are of equal credentials: Hall of Famers.

With the Militech/Shamrock/Renallo dynamic Pat seems to assert his front running status and Frank's just a sounding board. That's why when Frank doesn't commentate, I feel more relieved for him not having to deal with the subtle condescension from Militech every time.

Gotcha. Good info. I'll have to look it up and have a laugh and see if I see what you do lol.
For ONCE, just once us like to sere The Voice do a small stint with the UFC. Working the odd held events like Abu Dabi, New Zealand, Japan or other Asian countries.

I'm glad we have Bas Rutten, he always speaks up against the bullshit.

Refs should definitely crack down on this. Jones should stop on his own accord if the refs wont stop him.

Bas has a great point though, Jones knows exactly what's going on

your (rather strange) point is Jones covering mostly their faces and only having done 2 eye pokes. this is both wrong and doesn't make him a clean fighter if it were right, since you have to have a close fist while measuring to prevent eye pokes, which the referees constantly remind him. him missing an eye by an inch and randomly hitting their eyes doesn't make his style less dirty. besides, what's the purpose of touching their cheeks? you think he fingers their cheeks on purpose?

What's "strange" about pointing out that hands on the face is not the same thing as a poke in the eye? It's the truth. Im not arguing whether or not hes clean or dirty since that pretty subjective. What isn't subjective is that his fingers being in peoples faces is not the same as poking their eyes.

Yes, he touches the cheeks on purpose. The same reason Machida is doing this:

20091026120308_IMG_9973.JPG

You outstretched hand can halt their movement or direct them somewhere else. It also obscures their vision. In Jones' case he's also taking advantage of a Muay Thai technique/stance that allows elbow strikes to land faster if the arm is outstretched as opposed to drawn back like a boxer.

If you want to argue that it makes eye pokes more likely and is therefore bad, go for it. Its an opinion and you're welcome to it. But you and several other people are saying he pokes people frequently, which is not true at all. His hands go in peoples faces constantly. The difference is obvious, but dislike for Jones is both common and deep which makes people biased. Once his fingers touch the eyeball, you have a poke. If that isn't happening then no poke is taking place.

What's "strange" about pointing out that hands on the face is not the same thing as a poke in the eye? It's the truth. Im not arguing whether or not hes clean or dirty since that pretty subjective. What isn't subjective is that his fingers being in peoples faces is not the same as poking their eyes.

Yes, he touches the cheeks on purpose. The same reason Machida is doing this:

20091026120308_IMG_9973.JPG

You outstretched hand can halt their movement or direct them somewhere else. It also obscures their vision. In Jones' case he's also taking advantage of a Muay Thai technique/stance that allows elbow strikes to land faster if the arm is outstretched as opposed to drawn back like a boxer.

If you want to argue that it makes eye pokes more likely and is therefore bad, go for it. Its an opinion and you're welcome to it. But you and several other people are saying he pokes people frequently, which is not true at all. His hands go in peoples faces constantly. The difference is obvious, but dislike for Jones is both common and deep which makes people biased. Once his fingers touch the eyeball, you have a poke. If that isn't happening then no poke is taking place.

Machidas fingers are arced back though. Jones deliberately aims his fingers into the eyes.

Machidas fingers are arced back though. Jones deliberately aims his fingers into the eyes.

Go back and look at some of the pics. Jones is doing the same thing and people call it a poke. If he deliberately aimed into the eyes he'd poke their eyes every fight. he putting his hand and fingers into their faces. If you think that's a problem, fine. But people call things a poke when they obviously aren't which has always been my point.

Jones does it both for measuring for left hooks, right straights and left elbows, but he also does it when he's moving backwards to blur their vision to stay out of harms way, instead of using actual footwork.

fingers2.gif

scratching the eyes like that is not legal. touching the eyes is not legal. poking the eyes is not legal. any form of eye manipulation is not legal.

now this is the part where you tell me that doesn't fall into the eye poke category.

Back