Bas Rutten over Joe Rogan

It would be fun to hear Bas and Quadros comment on one fight. Bellator should make this happen.

I re-watched quite a few Pride events recently and as much as I like Bas, his commentating is really not that good in comparison. In fact it was quite awful at times. Sure, he knows his shit but that doesn't automatically mean he'd make a good commentator.
He would have cruz to bounce his madness off, would be great.

Bas is actually pretty bad as a commentator. Rambles on and jokes around way too much. Really ruins the atmosphere sometimes.

I've been reminiscing about Bas as a commentator a lot the last week or so actually! Got a sweet vintage Pacrase Bas rutten t shirt online, and was remembering how much fun he was as PRIDE commentator.

Fun is the key word though, cos as others said he wasn't always talking about the fight. He was clearly very knowledgeable, pretty much AS knowledgeable as you could get at the time, so I do think some of his stranger calls were down to the sport being so new at the time.

Not a Rogan fan, and the hearing Bas would help me to maintain what interest I have left in the UFC, however most of that would be due to nostalgia.

For me anyone else is better than Rogan. Fighters in my opinion are far more qualified to call the fights. Joes exaggerations and bias are just over the top at times. El Guapo for color commentary any day of the week.
3_medium.gif

joes the best by far, but bas is prety good. his english is still a bit funky, and i didnt like how he used to try to sell his stuff - like the big book of combat- during pride broadcasts

Bas is not good at all at calling fights. I like the guy and all, but no. Jimmy Smith is the only one I think does close to as good as Rogan.

is far superior to Rogan in every way.

Not really. He has a weird accent, which is not what you want for a person calling shots for a PPV. And sometimes he goes too far on odd tangents and/or jokes, which again, is made worse by accent.

He's said some pretty weird stuff on JRE. Like how it's pointless to try to block a punch.

Yea, one time he went on and on about how he teaches fighters to use clotheslines as an effective technique. Couldn't tell if he was serious, and neither could Rogan.

What wrong with a manlet commentator?
^This. I mean, it's already embarrassing to see Joe dwarf the welterweight champ - let a lone Mighty Mouse. Why would you want an even larger person in there?

As a commentator, Rutten's about as good as Joe, so what's the point?

They should give Big Bas the job over Rogan.
He is an MMA legend and is far superior to Rogan in every way. He knows his shit and he wouldn't be a manlet stood next to the fighters at the end.

In Bas we trust.
View attachment 278283

Bas sounds ignorant as fuckk! And he is cringy as hell. He's just horrible!!!

Bas was the shit 10 to 15 years ago, now he's become a caricature of himself.

He doesn't even try to separate his own accomplishments and persona from the fight in front of him anymore.

Militech & Hardy are the two best options for color commentators... Even Schiavello (more a PbP guy) and Smith are better options at this point.

Yea, one time he went on and on about how he teaches fighters to use clotheslines as an effective technique. Couldn't tell if he was serious, and neither could Rogan.
You can sense Joe's silent disaproval when he says stuff like that.

Bas is annoying with his silly antics and sound effects. Nice guy but gets on my nerves with his mannerisms.

Yeah, who needs a commentator that actually pays attention to the fight and gives the audience relevant insight and analysis? Bring on Bas' personal anecdotes and pointless diatribes.

Damnit, we agree on something.

I love Bas as a character and former fighter, but he is borderline senile as a ringside commentator and serves no purpose (other than perhaps a comedic one).

Back